Anyone notice we are at the holidays?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone notice we are at the holidays?

Postby f1jim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:15 am

Yep. Halloween in just a couple of days. Thanksgiving and Christmas are following close behind. New Years coming quickly.
I'm interested in how you look at the holidays. A once a year feast you don't prepare for but just live? A series of nutritional nightmares you bury your head and hopes pass soon? A series of events that are a natural part of your lifestyle choices?

How do you handle the "holiday season" as it rolls by? Are you already preparing plans for these events?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Anyone notice we are at the holidays?

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:07 am

Hi Jim, Good question. It was difficult last year, but this year will be easier. Most everyone knows that I don't eat animals or sweets. I find the invitations have stopped when it comes to house gatherings. It was hard at first, but when I put my health first, I don't have a problem. Eating out is easier for me so I just suggest having such to celebrate Christmas. Most of my close friends are good with that. I find going to house parties too tempting. Even though I eat first at home. Besides most of my friends drink and being the only sober one is uncomfortable. I try to make it about the friends and sharing the joy of the holidays and not the food. If it gets too bad, then I will just stay home. I feel so good on this eating plan, I will not be compromised!!!!
americaninca46

Postby f1jim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 am

Sometimes I get the feeling these events turn out to really be about the food and drink and the friendship and companionship get lost. Perhaps we are due for a return to our senses regarding holidays. It's easier to see if you don't get lost in the gluttony and imbibing
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby americaninca46 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:53 am

I see your point and have to agree. I have friends who would rather be on Facebook or FaceTime or text rather than get together for a talk or laugh or cry. And some of those friends are a few blocks away. It is a sad state of affairs. I still prefer face to face over it all. I still try to set a good example though. Even after almost a year, I have not seen anyone change their way of eating. I don't talk about it much anymore. It is just so sad to see people killing themselves. I feel selfish keeping all the good news to myself. On a happier note: I feel great. I am down 60 lbs. and feel very young. My hair is growing in thicker and darker! My heart is happy. My skin is glowing. Now if I could just get this tendonitis in my shoulders settled down I would almost be perfect. Ha Ha.
americaninca46

Postby Kaye » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm

I look at it as another excuse to look around for some new recipes to try. I'm anti social at the best of times and not really interested in what everyone else is eating or doing at holiday times so it bothers me not one jot if our meals are not "traditional". I might be very daring and make a nut roast this year with sprouts and red cabbage, I'll just reduce the amount of nuts so it might be a not very nutty nut roast :D
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby hoob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:43 pm

I like a nice butternut squash lasagna for Thanksgiving. I’m leaning towards lentil shepherd’s pie for Christmas. It’ll just be me and the wife. Plant-basedism has turned out to be quite the extended family repellent. Who knew?
hoob

Postby veg tom » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:50 pm

If I get invited to something I might try a new recipe.
A is A
veg tom

Postby patty » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Yes, this is the season more people will land into emergency or jail:) and hopefully will be starting a WFPBNO lifestyle. I started the 8 hour intermittent fasting and I love the time restriction where there is no snacking. Lindsay Nixon shares about the pantry challenge, not replacing items till the pantry is completely empty. I am not sure how far into the holidays I will get as I always have over bought. On the actual holiday I will most likely be working. I have one son that insists I go out to eat with his family before or after and the others sometimes come along. I made some vegan cookies for my grandson who is away at college and wore that celbration task out.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby foodaddict » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 am

I haven't celebrated anything for many years.
Most of my relatives lives in other city's far away or in other countries. Due to me being wheel chair bound for several years I also lost contact with a heck of a lot of the other relatives. :(

But this year will be a little nicer anyway since my health is better and also I found some nice recipes of vegan fruit cakes I am going to try and bake for Christmas this year. :D
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Postby MINNIE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:39 am

Deleted.
Last edited by MINNIE on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MINNIE

Postby Dougalling » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:36 am

As far as I'm concerned, it's always a holiday.
It starts in January with Happy New Year followed by Valentine's then Easter then Mother's Day then Father's Day then by bbq season (summer) and 1st and 4th of July then Labour Day then Thanksgiving/Halloween or Halloween/Thanksgiving (depending on which side of the border you are on) then Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza. Stores/Advertisers overlap some holidays and there are so many more holidays that I have not listed. Of course there are birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, graduations, new house, new baby, promotions, potlucks, office parties, etc etc.
There is always a special occasion calling us to 'just this once' get off plan.
Commit to 100% and plan for all these days and we will be just fine.
I keep this in mind at all times "We eat great food, there is no deprivation."
Dougalling

Postby chrisv » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:20 am

Found a package of mini Larabars for halloween, chocolate chip and peanut butter chocolate chip. If we don't get any kids then it is a lot of fat and calories, I need a post-Halloween plan that does not involve eating them myself.

Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners we will indulge in a fake meat roast, which now is a long time tradition. Other parts of the meal are McD recipes. I think I will make a crust-less pumpkin pie this year. I quit making them because I could easily eat a whole pie, and others didn't seem to like it that much. Another family member requested one this year, though.

We are not very social, there is a neighborhood xmas buffet, which is easy to eat ahead of time and bring a potato dish to share. There may be a new year's eve party this year, but drinking, staying up late and socializing sound like a terrible way to ring in a new year to me!
chrisv

Postby strivn2bhealthy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Holidays aren't much of a hassle for me. My family is out-of-town and husband only has his mother. She prefers to spend holidays with other people.

I've given it a lot of thought this year, though. I'm still not worried for myself. Maybe that is the good side of being in the struggle i'm currently in. I've decided that I will fix whatever my family wants for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year. I will joy in my success and not in food. They can decide for themselves and then not blame me down the road for spoiling their holidays. I'm not saying they would blame me. I just am trying to help my kids understand their choices have consequences. They know I'm here to help if they ever want to choose health. My track record for choosing health or food... or, just taking care of myself in spite of circumstances... well, it hasn't been so good in the past. I know that the best choice I can make NOW, is to keep quiet and let the success speak for itself. :nod:
Started 2019 @ 345
Goal 1 - 310 / 06/21/19
Goal 2 - 279 / ???
Glory!
strivn2bhealthy

Postby foodaddict » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 pm

I usually give the kids some fruit and boxes of raisins when its Halloween I always done that.

:D

Maybe that is why so few kids come and knock my door. they want candy :lol:

Got plenty of fruit and raisins at home now I am well prepared :nod:
I started to eat meat again to ripe the benefits of it. They eat meat in the bible. why should not we continue to eat it? I hate manipulated facts !
foodaddict

Postby GoodLife » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:47 pm

Ever notice how it seems all the holidays are becoming candy (i.e., sugar) or animal products holidays (i.e., BBQs)? Even Thanksgiving, which used to be the one of the healthiest holidays with healthy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, salads, etc. is now more about the turkey than anything else!

And notice how the candy holidays just keep on coming--Halloween, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Mother's Day. The meat holidays are Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, and Thanksgiving, The only holidays that are not about food are Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Father's Day, Columbus Day, and Veteran's Day. But don't worry--they will be soon!
Started June 5, 2014; Joined Dec. 22, 2014
Height 5' 8.5"; Starting weight 190.5; Starting BMI: 28.5
Initial Weight Loss and BMI: 150.5; 22.5 (weight loss of 40 lbs.)
Current weight: 158
Current BMI: 23.7
GoodLife

Next

Return to The Lounge