A Cronometer Day

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Cronometer Day

Postby Timaca » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Thanks to you kind folks here I learned about the Cronometer awhile ago. I use it periodically to track a day's intake and see where I'm at. I do this primarily because I have LOTS of food intolerance issues and my intake of food is limited. (Eg rice seems to be the only grain I can eat, I am avoiding nuts, seeds, corn and soy is eaten as a last resort and rarely). Nightshades are also eaten rarely.

If you don't know about the Cronometer, check it out here, it is awesome! https://cronometer.com/

As Jeff mentioned in this thread, it is common to come up short in a few nutrients:, Vit E, Calcium, Zinc, and Selenium. That is usually true for me....also Choline comes out low.

I will state first that I did include some oil yesterday (NOT McDougall compliant). I had 1/2 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp canola oil. With those additions, my fat intake was 15 grams and 6.5% of my total caloric intake. Carbohydrates came in at 83.2% of calories and Protein at 10.2% of calories (60 grams). I weighed all my food to be very accurate.

I was low in Riboflavin (86%), Niacin (89%), Choline (66%), Vit E (78%), Calcium was 689 mg which is respectable from an all plant diet, Potassium was low at 93% (first time I was ever low for that so I'm not concerned), Selenium (49%), and Zinc was not low this time (at 106%) but has come in low before (last time was 92%). B12 was 0%.

The winners were Vit A at 5728%, Vit C 273%, Vit K 615%, Copper 245%, Iron 299%, Manganese 360%. And of course all the phytonutrients that aren't measured should be well covered by what I eat.

To cover my bases, I am taking 2 Women's Smarty Pants Vitamins a day for B12. (Serving size is 6 a day). 2 gives me 33 mcg of B12 a day which *seems* to be sufficient to keep my blood levels in a good range. I'll know for sure when I'm tested in a couple of weeks. If I take more B12 than that amount I get cystic acne which is very unpleasant! :(

I get some Vit E from the Smarty Pants vitamin. I also have chosen to take 1 drop of NOW brand liquid Vit E, which gives me about 50% of the Daily value. That along with my diet is sufficient.

I do take a selenium supplement every other day that provides 143% DV.

Even though my Calcium intake is decent for a plant based diet, my Dexa Scan shows me in osteoporosis, so I am taking some Bone Up supplements. The dosage is for 6 a day. I'm trying two a day for now and see how it goes. (supplemental calcium makes me constipated so I take very small amounts to see how I do.....) Those supplements have other ingredients which are helpful for bones as well.

After doing some reading, I think my choline is in a good spot with diet and the amount in the Smarty Pants vitamin (even diet seems to be fine).

My Vit D levels are fine during the summertime and with the Bone-Up supplement and Smarty Pants vitamin I do get 666 mg so I'll see where I'm at in a couple of weeks with my labs.

My riboflavin has been low both yesterday and in January and I suspect it is because I only eat rice for grains. I'll have to figure out some way to increase that, preferably by diet. Niacin also borders on not being adequate at times.

I do love using the cronometer and would suggest it as a tool to see where you are at nutrient wise.

I wish I could eat nuts, seeds and more grains....but I'd rather feel better than worse. So it is what it is!

If anyone has comments, feel free to share!!!
Happy eating to all!

Best,
Timaca

Re: A Cronometer Day

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:49 am

Hi Timaca!

I've been using Cronometer for the past few days and really like it. I'm impressed with how well the McDougall diet covers all the bases nutritionally. I've tracked food in the past when trying to loose weight and was low in all sorts of nutrients when trying to hit calorie goals.

I've been low in selenium and calcium, too. I'm 34, and my mom was recently diagnosed with osteoporosis, so this is something that's a concern for me as well, though from a slightly different perspective. I wish there was more definitive information about vit D available. I don't want to make choices now that will negatively impact me in 30 years.

Best of luck to you! Dietary restrictions are challenging, for sure. It looks like you are doing well working within those limitations.
Last edited by Lyndzie on Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Dougalling » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:07 am

Hi

Do your research on vitamins and mineral deficiencies.
There are some great articles this particular Dr Greger's page
Pay special attention to Reductionism and Deficiency Mentality, .. , Are calcium supplements sufficient?, ... and Are calcium supplements safe?
Cronometer is a good site to use occasionally, if you set the requirements yourself and not use the general ones given.

http://nutritionfacts.org/?fwp_search=o ... type=video
Dougalling

Postby Timaca » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Lyndzie~ Thanks for taking the time to write and for your support. The whole osteoporosis thing is a bit of a bummer given that I was extremely active my entire life until 13 years ago when I got Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Even with that I've been able to keep weight lifting and lately I've been able to be more physically (aerobically) active. So it was a surprise to have a low bone density score. I am trying to solve that problem with some supplements, that some (reading reviews) have been able to improve their bone density scores..... I hope your bones stay strong!!

HI Dougalling~ Thanks for your thoughts too! I do enjoy Dr. Greger's info too. In fact, I just got an email about his latest videos becoming available! I may have to check into that! We'll see! :-)

I do agree that supplements are not as good as foods....the whole package is better, so that is my ultimate goal. It does get tricky when *healthy* foods don't work! Last night I trialed one large organic strawberry. A year ago it gave me a whopping headache starting at 3 a.m. and lasting a day and a half. This time the headache started at 12:30 a.m and is still with me. :cry: That's it for strawberries for me this year. Makes me not even want to retest blueberries, but I probably will. (I had a worse reaction to blueberries, and I've already challenged them a couple of times over the last 2 years....). It seems that I can eat small amounts of raspberries without a major headache, which is nice......

Marching onward, headache and all,
Timaca

Return to The Lounge