Freelee the banana girl spoofed on "Portlandia"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Freelee the banana girl spoofed on "Portlandia"

Postby arugula » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 pm

The most recent episode of Portlandia spoofs Freelee the banana girl. It's well worth watching, if you don't mind bathroom humor.
arugula

Re: Freelee the banana girl spoofed on "Portlandia"

Postby Vegankit » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby -mermaid- » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:40 am

Oh lord, that's funny...

I love the look on the woman's face as she's watching the video. I was that woman.

What I would advise a woman today is: Don't be seduced by the nubile young things, running around with fruit in their hair.

Live and learn--and then eat an unsexy potato.
-mermaid-

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 am

Eating just bananas can't possibly be healthy. People like this suffer from a psychiatric disorder and need to treat with a psychologist or psychiatrist IMO.
Poison Ivy

Postby djunamod » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:20 am

The only bad thing about that is that it already feeds Freelee's overblown narcissistic personality. I can imagine her bragging about it all over the internet and not getting that it's meant as a satire (and not a nice one) of her and not as a complement, since narcissists are so delusional and see things they way they want to see them.

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Postby figlover » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

Poison Ivy wrote:Eating just bananas can't possibly be healthy. People like this suffer from a psychiatric disorder and need to treat with a psychologist or psychiatrist IMO.

I dunno, you could say the same kind of thing about the potato diet or rice diet, etc. Bananas are pretty wholesome, gorillas and monkeys seem to favor them along with figs and they do pretty well. I'm preferable to figs and have 5 trees that I harvest from and freeze for my year round enjoyment. I get my starch and vegetables to round out the diet and it has been working well for almost 40 years now. Have to say I've incorporated more McDougall/Novick type thinking to my eating over the last ten years and have definitely benefited from it.

I know round these parts starch eating is a preferred source of carbs for all scientifically rational and logical reasons, but people who eat fruit as a carb mainstay are using their logic and rational thinking too, perhaps misguided to some degree... but not by much.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Poison Ivy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

I simply don't see how anyone can sustain eating only one food for the remainder of their lives. For a little while maybe, but not forever until you die.
Poison Ivy

Postby Thrasymachus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:00 am

@Figlover:
The Kempner rice diet was an administered, medically supervised diet developed by Walter Kempner to treat people with serious chronic diseases, few people should and do eat plain white rice along with some sugar for extra calories as a personal diet they follow. Similarly the potato diet was just a few isolated studies. Even on this forum we don't have people advocating to only consume potatoes because it is simply unnecessarily restrictive and will thus lead to a greater failure and a lesser compliance rate.

But there is actually a too large raw and fruitarian community unnecessarily restricting themselves diet wise for no good reasons other than the false claims created by raw gurus like Freelee, durianrider, David Wolfe, the Boutenko's, Matt Monarch, etc.
Last edited by Thrasymachus on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrasymachus

Postby Poison Ivy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:11 am

These one food diets are just FADS IMO, sometimes long lived. They are doing it for the money by getting others to subscribe.
Poison Ivy

Postby OneLeggedPig » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:15 am

Poison Ivy wrote:I simply don't see how anyone can sustain eating only one food for the remainder of their lives. For a little while maybe, but not forever until you die.

In fairness to Freelee, the diet she generally advertises involves eating fruit for breakfast and lunch, and then having starch for the evening meal.
OneLeggedPig

Postby Poison Ivy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:57 am

IOW, she eats other things but keeps it on the downlow so to speak. She promotes only eating bananas bc that is how she earns her income. Many Americans have found novel ways to earn a living in this stagnant economy but they will never get any of my money. I do not subscribe. :)
Poison Ivy

Postby Empty » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Poison Ivy wrote:IOW, she eats other things but keeps it on the downlow so to speak. She promotes only eating bananas bc that is how she earns her income. Many Americans have found novel ways to earn a living in this stagnant economy but they will never get any of my money. I do not subscribe. :)

She eats a huge variety of foods and has vlogged it. I think she changed her name to GoFreeYourself.
Empty

Postby figlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:15 am

Thrasymachus wrote:@Figlover:
The Kempner rice diet was an administered, medically supervised diet developed by Walter Kempner to treat people with serious chronic diseases, few people should and do eat plain white rice along with some sugar for extra calories as a personal diet they follow. Similarly the potato diet was just a few isolated studies. Even on this forum we don't have people advocating to only consume potatoes because it is simply unnecessarily restrictive and will thus lead to a greater failure and a lesser compliance rate.

But there is actually a too large raw and fruitarian community unnecessarily restricting themselves diet wise for no good reasons other than the false claims created by raw gurus like Freelee, durianrider, David Wolfe, the Boutenko's, Matt Monarch, etc.

Kemper Rice Diet is not well known by practically anyone except those of us who are interested and the potato only diet has just recently surfaced in the mainstream news as a weight loss strategy (Mr Spudfit). So what I was alluding to was how the 'lay public' would perhaps view these in the same light as a multi-banana eating attention whore. That's about it.

I just remembered when I was coming of age (16) in the late 60's the brown rice diet was quite popular as a way to attain enlightenment :)

I agree with just about everything you say.

I personally feel fruitarianism and raw-ism is just a beautiful aesthetic concept that fails long term and especially by the dogmatic insistence of those with dubious credentials.

I keep my raw food eating healthy by incorporating just enough cooked food!
C'est la vie!
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby zilly84 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:44 pm

:D :D :D This is great! God I love Portlandia. I missed watching it. My cable provider discontinued the channel it was on.
zilly84

Return to The Lounge