Popcorn?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Popcorn?

Postby Charzie » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm confused...at 31 calories per cup of air popped, and 0.4 grams of fat, why do so many people say popcorn is not a good snack? I understand calorie density, and at over 1400 calories per pound, it's on the high end, but nobody eats raw popcorn, they POP it, and certainly not a pound of it! I can nibble 2 cups popped for under 100 calories, which no matter how I do the math seems more than reasonable and certainly better than chips! Any comments? I heard chef AJ say it and a few others and I'm puzzled.
Charzie

Re: Popcorn?

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Some people become addicted to popcorn. The main problem with popcorn is probably it is dry which might be remedied by drinking lots of water while eating popcorn to make the fiber work better. Cooking grains dry at high temperature also creates some carcinogens. I heard Dr Michael Greger does eat popcorn so it is probably not too bad. Dr Michael Greger has a recipe for zombie popcorn which has nutritional yeast.
colonyofcells

Postby landog » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:24 pm

Charzie wrote: I can nibble 2 cups popped for under 100 calories, which no matter how I do the math seems more than reasonable and certainly better than chips!

Better than chips? Sure!

In general, foods high in calorie density are easy to overeat. If we eat on plan (low calorie dense) foods and eat until we're full, we don't have to count calories or worry about portion control.

Nibble your 2 cups of popcorn, but you are using a method (portion control) that is really not a focus of the McDougall plan. At least, that's my understanding.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you are at your goals, or making progress toward them. It may be a bigger issue for someone who is struggling.
landog

Postby calvin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:41 pm

Under the heading of off-the-wall statements that make, or should make, you go "Hmm"?

Some people become addicted to popcorn? Name ten such people. Ok, name one.
Is there ANYTHING that SOME people do not become addicted to?
No? or No!

I buy popcorn by the 50 pound bag. Two cups of popped (you ARE talking about popped rather than unpoped popcorn, are you not?) popcorn is nothing. Anyone badmouthing that snack is thinking of salted buttered popcorn which is of course unhealthy in any portion. And the carcinogens, if any, would be in the butter, not the popcorn.

The main problem with popcorn is probly that its dry. Yeah, that's a big one out there. I myself lost a relative or two who were found desiccated, having binged on popcorn. And they had partially full canteens of water with them so awareness of the dire necessity for water was assumed. I guess they don't call popcorn the silent killer for nothin'. Hey, at least they died BEFORE the carcinogens got 'em. That was a blessing. Oh well, "You're bound to lose a few" as my Father used to say.

Carcinogens in airpopped popcorn...?...i sincerely doubt it. Try barbequed meat for that; i think you'll have better luck. Maybe Monsanto could develop you a prion-infested kernal. Did you read "The Last Of The Mohicans"? They're doing a remake of the movie version, this time using Incans who die of lack of corn due to drought. Maybe yer right about dat dryness problem. I believe everything i see in the movies...and...read on these boards.

Cooking can cause some carcinogens? Again. So what? Name one action that can't cause, directly or indirectly, some carcinogens. I'm feeling a bit carcinogenic after reading this thread. Giving me the munchies...no worries though 'cause from the kitchen, i hear my name being called by a healthy snack of popcorn, yep, chock full of free-radical-scavenging antioxidants and phytochemicals.

By the way, the reason popcorn pops up into a white cloud of goodness is rapid expansion of the moisture (uh, that would be like, uh, the opposite of dry?) inside the kernal turned to steam by heat, so dryness a problem? Not there anyway. Gives new meaning to the phrase Intelligent Design. Yeah, muddling through life without any common sense, that is struggling alright.

You know? Popcorn may deserve its own Discussion Board.

TGIF!
calvin

Postby kirkj » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:13 am

If you eat 2 cups popped and are satisfied with it, there is no problem. I can eat a whole big bowl of it and feel like I haven't eaten anything. I don't feel that way if I eat a baked potato or a banana. Because of this, I never eat it anymore.

Before starting this WOE, I used to cook it without oil and add hot sauce, nutritional yeast and salt. It was great, but I don't add salt to anything now and it doesn't appeal to me without it.
kirkj

Postby landog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:37 am

calvin wrote:By the way, the reason popcorn pops up into a white cloud of goodness is rapid expansion of the moisture (uh, that would be like, uh, the opposite of dry?)

The moisture leaving the corn is the definition of dry, it is not the opposite of dry.

Corn has more satiety than the popcorn because it retains the water. Popcorn is a calorie dense food. Some people trying to reach their goals may need to avoid calorie dense food.

That's about it...
landog

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:35 am

As as been pointed out, popped corn is mostly air so does not fill you up at all, no satiety. It looks big in a bowl but as soon as you chew it, it mostly vanishes. 2 cups before popping is 680 calories, similar to any other grain. If you just cook dried corn kernels the same way you cook rice etc, it is an entirely different thing so far as satiety goes. I used to use airpopped corn as a "study aid" when I was in school and would eat 2 or 3 very large salad bowls full over the course of an hour or two. Not sure how much unpopped that was, at least 2 cups, but I was young and doing a lot of surfing at the time so burning it up.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby viv » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:52 am

Popcorn is a great snack - who says it's not? Dr. McDougall thinks it's o.k. and that's good enough for me. After all it's CORN! Yes one of our wonderful starches to sustain us on our wonderful starchy diet based on potatoes, rice, corn and beans.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 am

viv wrote:Popcorn is a great snack - who says it's not? Dr. McDougall thinks it's o.k. and that's good enough for me. After all it's CORN! Yes one of our wonderful starches to sustain us on our wonderful starchy diet based on potatoes, rice, corn and beans.

Viv

It is totally fine. You just have to be aware of the potential and monitor your intake accordingly. And of course without all the butter/fake butter, and artificial flavorings added to the pre-popped and microwave kinds.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby calvin » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

landog wrote:
calvin wrote:By the way, the reason popcorn pops up into a white cloud of goodness is rapid expansion of the moisture (uh, that would be like, uh, the opposite of dry?)

The moisture leaving the corn is the definition of dry, it is not the opposite of dry.

Corn has more satiety than the popcorn because it retains the water. Popcorn is a calorie dense food. Some people trying to reach their goals may need to avoid calorie dense food.

That's about it...
...about only counts in horseshoes. My turn. :D The calorie density of any given food has nothing to do with the moisture content of that fool. Why? Because water has no calories. Popped corn is no more calorie dense than any other form of corn.

The dairy industry's nutrition label on "1% milk" aka "low fat milk" distorts the truth about fat content by including the weight of the water along with the solids. It IS 1% fat by weight IF you include the weight of the water. But the water contributes no calories. The actual percentage of fat calories in "1% milk" is more like (i forget, it's been many years since i had any) around 20%* once you divide calories-from-fat by total-calories. Again the water has no calories and so is not included when calculating fat calorie density. First lesson in "HowToReadLabels-101".

100grams of fully dehydrated popcorn kernals OR of fully dehydrated corn after removal from the can OR of fully dehydrated airpopped popcorn kernals...each have equal calorie density. Calorie density is calories per gram, where again we are not including grams of water. The degree of processing (ground corn flour, cornmeal, precooked in a can, airpopped, cooking method, chewing, time taken to consume, time in the stomach, etc.) may affect perceived satiety.

I don't know the number of kernals in an 8oz can of canned corn. But the same number of popcorn kernals, once popped, will of course occupy a much larger volume of space and may be eaten slower or faster than the canned and that may affect perceived satiety. The popped version will occupy more space but will have the same calorie density. It will quickly absorb moisture during chewing and in the stomach and shrink down to the same volume as the chewed canned corn. Water sprayed on a bowl of popcorn is quickly absorbed. Sprinkle popped corn on a bowl of soup; it quickly "melts." The only reason to suspect satiety might vary amongst corn products including e.g. tortillas etc. is type(s) of and amount(s) of and degree(s) of and time spent processing, including time taken to eat. Slow down when eating. Do not multitask while eating. Enjoy the food. More satisfying. What's the rush? What IS the rush...?...i would address that question but that's a story for a different day...there's no rush.

*https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/74/2
calvin

Postby MikeInFL » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:55 pm

I heard a Dr on the radio say popcorn makes small cuts in your stomach. First I heard that and need more info
MikeInFL

Postby Hal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:43 am

calvin wrote:The calorie density of any given food has nothing to do with the moisture content of that fool. Why? Because water has no calories. Popped corn is no more calorie dense than any other form of corn.
*https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/74/2

I don't think that's quite accurate. The total calories do not change when you change the water content, this is true, but the density is a different question - the calorie density of food goes down with more water precisely because water has no calories to contribute, but does contribute to the bulk or volume of the food in question, right?
Hal

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:14 am

calvin wrote:The calorie density of any given food has nothing to do with the moisture content of that fool. Why? Because water has no calories.

Jeff Novick on water vs calorie density
This would increase the calorie density as increased water content is the main factor lowering calorie density.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby landog » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:12 am

calvin wrote: The calorie density of any given food has nothing to do with the moisture content of that fool. Why? Because water has no calories.

To the contrary, water content is a major factor of calorie density.

Calorie density is the calories of a food per a given weight, for example calories per pound. As you state, water adds no calories. Since it does add weight, it lowers calorie density.

Corn has lower calorie density than popcorn.
Cooked oatmeal has lower calorie density than dry rolled oats.

From this thread, regarding popcorn: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14126&p=127817&#p127817

jeffn wrote:Popcorn is calorie dense and while it does have much more volume than many other foods with the same calorie density because of the air, it is still much easier to overeat on than foods with a lower calorie density. The reason is , most food that is low in calorie density are high in water, which not only provided volume but also weight.

jeffn wrote:So, while a puffed grain, like air-popped corn or rice cakes, or puffed rice cereal is a much better choice than a bread, cracker, dry cereal or bagel, made of the same grain, because of the volume created by the air, it will never be as good as the plan cooked corn, or rice as it does not have the weight provided by the water.

jeffn wrote:Therefore, my recommendation (which may differ slightly then the printed MWL recommendations), is because 1) weight has become such an issue for so many people, and 2) based on my experiences with helping people try to lose weight where so many just find they can and do overeat on these "puffed" products especially popcorn, (unless they portion control them, which is not a principle of MWL), is to avoid them.

If you are including these "puffed" products and the program is working for you and you are at your optimal/ideal weight, then you have my blessings. But if not, you may want to reconsider whether to include them or not.

This thread contrasts dry oats with cooked oatmeal: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51894

jeffn wrote:The calorie density is quite a bit higher (& satiety lower)... the main reason is, when you make regular oatmeal, you use 2 cups water for each cup of rolled oats (2:1 ratio of water to oats) and all the water gets absorbed into the oats. The dry rolled oats, even though they are pre-steamed, will never absorb as much liquid.
landog

Postby f1jim » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:58 am

Water adds weight with zero calories
Remove water and weight drops with the same number of calories.
Water most certainly plays a huge role, perhaps the largest role, in caloric density.
It's much easier to overeat on popped corn than on whole kernel corn.
But short of the weight issue, popped corn is ok healthwise.
It isn't served at McDougall functions because many come for weight issues.
We must differentiate between the health of a food item and it's caloric density. Store bought chips and such are health time bombs for BOTH caloric density and content.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Next

Return to The Lounge