Completely Fell of wagon

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Completely Fell of wagon

Postby guitarplayer007 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:02 am

barryoilbegone wrote:I admire your blunt honesty guitarplayer007, because sometimes it is tough. Who and what we've got around us makes it challenging. I've fallen off the wagon in terms of vegan junk food on a few occasions, and I probably also consume more soy yoghurt and dried fruit than is totally good for me in absolute health (in terms of sugar), and a bit too much mustard at times (in terms of salt). But just compare that to the kind of life I would have had in eating, were it not for John McDougall, Caldwell Esselstyn et al. I dread thinking about what might have been had I not put this into practise.

And it's not the kind of dread thinking like, "I might be dead" by the way: none of us are here to live forever, and the starchivore way of eating won't make any of us immortal. But about what kind of myth I'd be propagating to myself and others about health. Look at what the SAD, paleo, low carb and Atkins have done and are doing to people's health over the long haul, and how they're also damaging the prospects of a sustainable and environmentally free world for our kids, without giving a jot about it. The starchivore way is no more and no less than setting the odds in our favour as best as they can be set, and helps us and the world live longer and healthier than we might otherwise have done. That's all we can do, and all you can do with trying to stave off the heart disease I guess. You'll perhaps fall off at times, but the more we keep at this, the more it's prolonging us with the healthiest life possible.

Real key thing is to get back on the track to the starch way, and respect what you're trying to do in changing your life and your world a bite at a time. You're leading the way, even if you feel you've succumbed, because you're getting back on the wagon. And that makes all the difference to the future becoming a bit brighter.

Thank you Barry!
guitarplayer007

Postby landog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:58 am

guitarplayer007 wrote:What do you put on potatoes , I'm not into Salsa :(

Ken

Pepper.
landog

Postby guitarplayer007 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 pm

landog wrote:
guitarplayer007 wrote:What do you put on potatoes , I'm not into Salsa :(

Ken

Pepper.

I use pepper as well
guitarplayer007

Postby Poison Ivy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:52 pm

I know the motivation for me (eating a WFPB deit) is the fear of getting sick. If not for this, I would still be eating SAD. Although unhealthy, the food is much more palatable. I accept the trade-off though.

I like Dean Ornish's take. Don't beat yourself up too bad. Just get back on track and eat healthy as much as you possibly can. Don't dwell on when you fail or fall a little short sometimes.
Poison Ivy

Postby patty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:14 pm

I found making the 2 ingredient the rolled old fashioned oats and bananas cookies the best defense against the desire to eating processed foods. Especially when tired. I just put the ingredients in a food processor and mix, scoop out with a melon baller scooper, put on baking pan and press down with a fork and bake. Sometimes I add canned pumpkin to the ingredients. I put in a container in the refrigerator and when hungry or wanting something extra they hit the spot. What is great the ingredients don't stick like flour and oil. When using flour I always noticed how it sticks to anything when washing, cleaning up. Much like oil sticks to the sides of the sink. Just hang in there and figure out what works.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Kaye » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:53 pm

patty wrote:I found making the 2 ingredient the rolled old fashioned oats and bananas cookies the best defense against the desire to eating processed foods. Especially when tired. I just put the ingredients in a food processor and mix, scoop out with a melon baller scooper, put on baking pan and press down with a fork and bake. Sometimes I add canned pumpkin to the ingredients. I put in a container in the refrigerator and when hungry or wanting something extra they hit the spot. What is great the ingredients don't stick like flour and oil. When using flour I always noticed how it sticks to anything when washing, cleaning up. Much like oil sticks to the sides of the sink. Just hang in there and figure out what works.

Aloha, patty

I make those too but add a tablespoon of flaxseed and a teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix, I then freeze half and keep the other half for those times when you get the munchies and just can't think what to eat. They have kept me from making bad choices many times.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby patty » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 pm

@kaye

I will have to try the flax seed and cinnamon. I have added cooked beets and they were good. It is so great to munch for health. I still have the habit of wanting something like bread, and something in the middle of the night and they work. I am happy they work for you too!

Aloha, patty
patty

Previous

Return to The Lounge