Safe non-stick

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Safe non-stick

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:18 am

Just found a newish product that looks good (though it is mfg'd in China :\ )

Ecolutions brand, the have two. One is the Bliss line which is ceramic coated fry pans of various sizes. The other is the Bakeins bakeware which is silicone coated (will scratch if abused but NOT leach chems) bake ware i.e. loaf pans, baking sheets, roasting pans of various shapes and sizes, even toaster oven cookware.

Safe? Bakeware
GeoffreyLevens

Re: Safe non-stick

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:53 pm

what about the copper non stick? we have one now, and it seems pretty good. Wasn't thinking of chemicals. Going to try it with caramelizing onions, see what happens.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:06 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:what about the copper non stick? we have one now, and it seems pretty good. Wasn't thinking of chemicals. Going to try it with caramelizing onions, see what happens.

No idea, never heard of it until now. Copper clad is excellent for even heat transmission but the if bare copper on working surface where the food is not. Copper, like aluminium, is very reactive and will end up in your food. It bioaccumulates and is a risk factor for among other things dementia, here's a link

Copper: Health Information Summary

Probably an ideal set up would be copper bottom and ceramic coating inside.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:24 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:what about the copper non stick? we have one now, and it seems pretty good. Wasn't thinking of chemicals. Going to try it with caramelizing onions, see what happens.

No idea, never heard of it until now. Copper clad is excellent for even heat transmission but the if bare copper on working surface where the food is not. Copper, like aluminium, is very reactive and will end up in your food. It bioaccumulates and is a risk factor for among other things dementia, here's a link

Copper: Health Information Summary

Probably an ideal set up would be copper bottom and ceramic coating inside.

It isn't clad at all. super cheap, feels like aluminum exterior. copper looking interior, but with a real slick surface that is supposedly impervious to any kind of scratching. Metal utensils, etc. It does clean up super easy. You'll see infomercials for it late night TV. We found it at a "seen on TV" shelf in a regular grocery store.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:43 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:It isn't clad at all. super cheap, feels like aluminum exterior. copper looking interior, but with a real slick surface that is supposedly impervious to any kind of scratching. Metal utensils, etc. It does clean up super easy. You'll see infomercials for it late night TV. We found it at a "seen on TV" shelf in a regular grocery store.

No idea on that one BUT is super cheap I always get mighty suspicious. I would call company and ask exactly what it is. Anodized aluminum (has been hardened by electro-chemically process to seal the aluminum in the cookware) supposed to be quite safe. But that stuff is quite expensive. Slight chance you got a steal of a deal on intro offer but me, skeptical to a fault :mrgreen:
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:44 pm

GeoffreyLevens

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:09 pm

this is exactly what we have

it's called the red copper pan, though there are other brand names out there

http://www.redcopperpan.com

maybe it's ceramic. The 10" pan costs $19.99.

on further research, it looks like a glazed ceramic pan. We'll see how well it does, I'm not too worried about it as my cast iron are pretty much non stick anyway.
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:11 pm

If interior was ceramic it would not look like copper metal I don't think. I am sure if you call the company you can find out more of what it really is. Don't be shy, they are making lots of $$$
GeoffreyLevens

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Just went to site and they say right near start of intro video that it is ceramic lined, so I guess copper colored. Likely you just got a great deal on a pan! I would call it a keeper
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Old Guy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:42 pm

I worked anodizing aluminum for many years, and that anodized layer is so thin it will wear off when using cooking utensils on it.
Old Guy

Postby mountain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am

I have decided to exchange my non stick cook ware every year and use it very carefully. Maybe one day there will be a 100 % safe non stick cook ware. Oh and I only use 2 non stick pans (one for making my wrap in the morning and nothing else and the other one occasionally for burgers). I cook 95 % of my food in stainless steel, regular "stick" cookware and it works just fine.
mountain

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:52 am

You could cook/heat your warp in the stainless steel pans quite easily without any grease needed. Burgers a bit more of a problem but on the rare occasion I make them, I just bake on parchment paper on baking sheet; can give quick treatment w/ broiler at the end to duplicate the outer crunchy of fry pan if you really want to.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Langeranger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:59 pm

Reading Dr. McD's recent newsletter about aluminum, he recommend titanium ceramic. When I went to Williams-Sonoma they told me that titanium ceramic is the coating over an aluminum core. Dumb me, for all I knew the whole thing was titanium ceramic. The WS guy was very knowledgeable, and conveyed the message that all or practically all titanium ceramic cookware is built around aluminum as aluminum is such a good conductor of heat. So is Dr. McD cooking with aluminum shrouded in titanium ceramic or what? I'm ready to buy the WS but don't want to plaque-up my brain too much. J
Langeranger

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:14 pm

Langeranger wrote:Reading Dr. McD's recent newsletter about aluminum, he recommend titanium ceramic. When I went to Williams-Sonoma they told me that titanium ceramic is the coating over an aluminum core. Dumb me, for all I knew the whole thing was titanium ceramic. The WS guy was very knowledgeable, and conveyed the message that all or practically all titanium ceramic cookware is built around aluminum as aluminum is such a good conductor of heat. So is Dr. McD cooking with aluminum shrouded in titanium ceramic or what? I'm ready to buy the WS but don't want to plaque-up my brain too much. J

The ceramic is completely sealing the aluminum away from your food. No worries.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby mountain » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:29 pm

So I just returned the Gotham pan because it was warping on just medium and low heat! Decided to just stick with the one non stick I have for my wraps and the rest I do in my good stainless steel pots!
mountain

Next

Return to The Lounge