Healthiest Diet on the Planet...Reviews here/

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Healthiest Diet on the Planet...Reviews here/

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:35 pm

From a previous thread people are receiving their copies of this book. Post your thoughts on it right here in this thread.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Healthiest Diet on the Planet...Reviews here/

Postby spinner » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:37 pm

Just a question: do the charts and graphics translate well in kindle format? Thanks!
spinner

Postby veg tom » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 am

Just thumbed through it and I like the full color pictures. I have to start doing the recipes again to get woman back on board. It has a way different look then Dr. McDougall and Mary`s other books Thanks Dr. McDougall and Mary.
A is A
veg tom

Postby OneLeggedPig » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:29 am

I can't get the book just yet, but I'm very interested to hear what people think about it here :)
OneLeggedPig

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:31 am

spinner wrote:Just a question: do the charts and graphics translate well in kindle format? Thanks!

Charts - no real charts. A number of lists, but no graphs or anything like that.

Graphics - in my Paperwhite and other e-ink readers, you'll see them in black and white and the size formatted to the size of the page. By that, I mean, in many books, when you tap on a graphic it will enlarge into its own page, tap again it goes back to normal size. These don't. You tap on a picture all you do is turn to the next page. But if you're reading the book on other devices, like your desktop or a tablet using the Amazon Kindle app, you do see the pictures in color, but again, no enlargement of them upon tapping.

I suggest you go to Amazon, the Look in the Book for the hardcover version, and hit the Surprise Me button a few times. You'll see samples of a list, the B&W photos. The publisher isn't letting Amazon show all that much, and not one recipe is in the preview pages.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062426761/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:30 am

Jill McKeever (Simple Daily Recipes) does a 45 minute review of the book on her YouTube page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4NxyuRQWnA&feature=em-lss

She flips through the book page by page, offering comments along the way.
VeggieSue

Postby GlennR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:26 am

eBook Review:

Okay, I'm through to the recipe section now. I found the book to be well laid out, although not everything lined up well on my tablet when I was running through the color picture book section. It wasn't bad, just not perfect. The Table of Contents has links to the chapters, which is good, however the Index is not hyperlinked and is just text meaning no direct access from the index to a particular topic or page. That's too bad.

The information is clear and well presented. I didn't really learn anything new but I didn't really expect to as a member of this site.

The only real disappointment for me is that based on the dozen or so I've checked so far, all the recipes appear to be in the McDougall cookbook application that I already own. I expect they're all in there but I'm not finished checking yet.

As my main purpose in the purchase was to support Dr M, I don't feel too bad over any lack of new information, though I would have liked it.
Last edited by GlennR on Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby katgirl55 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:56 am

I did not have much time to look through and read, but it is a gorgeous book. I'm glad I got the hardcover version. I can't wait to really dig in. I did look though the recipes and already found some I will be trying soon! The photos are great!
katgirl55

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:22 pm

GlennR wrote:The only real disappointment for me is that based on the dozen or so I've checked so far, all the recipes appear to be in the McDougall cookbook application that I already own. I expect they're all in there but I'm not finished checking yet.

I own every McDougall book out there, with the exception of the hand-written one Mary wrote way back when Dr. McD first started teaching patients to eat this way. He mentioned in the webinars that the book would contain all their favorites from the past, so I wasn't surprised looking over all the old faithful tried and true recipes. I did notice 2 new-to-me recipes - the Specialdillas, a quesadilla made with sweet potatoes as the filling, and Second City Diner Burger.
VeggieSue

Postby spinner » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

VeggieSue wrote:
spinner wrote:Just a question: do the charts and graphics translate well in kindle format? Thanks!

Charts - no real charts. A number of lists, but no graphs or anything like that.

Graphics - in my Paperwhite and other e-ink readers, you'll see them in black and white and the size formatted to the size of the page. By that, I mean, in many books, when you tap on a graphic it will enlarge into its own page, tap again it goes back to normal size. These don't. You tap on a picture all you do is turn to the next page. But if you're reading the book on other devices, like your desktop or a tablet using the Amazon Kindle app, you do see the pictures in color, but again, no enlargement of them upon tapping.

I suggest you go to Amazon, the Look in the Book for the hardcover version, and hit the Surprise Me button a few times. You'll see samples of a list, the B&W photos. The publisher isn't letting Amazon show all that much, and not one recipe is in the preview pages.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0062426761/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks VeggieSue. This was very helpful.
spinner

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:46 pm

Please don't forget your opinions on how effective the book might be for people completely new to this way of eating. Obviously, those of us here know much of this material but many look for something we can put in the hands of those unaware of this diet.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby GlennR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 pm

VeggieSue wrote:I own every McDougall book out there, with the exception of the hand-written one Mary wrote way back when Dr. McD first started teaching patients to eat this way. He mentioned in the webinars that the book would contain all their favorites from the past, so I wasn't surprised looking over all the old faithful tried and true recipes. I did notice 2 new-to-me recipes - the Specialdillas, a quesadilla made with sweet potatoes as the filling, and Second City Diner Burger.

The Second City Diner Burger is just renamed from the Chicago Diner Burger, the Specialdilla is the same as the Yamadilla and there are others that have new names but are the same as previously published recipes. Of course a veggie burger, by any other name, is still good to eat... to badly paraphrase the Bard.
Last edited by GlennR on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby GlennR » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:01 pm

f1jim wrote:Please don't forget your opinions on how effective the book might be for people completely new to this way of eating. Obviously, those of us here know much of this material but many look for something we can put in the hands of those unaware of this diet.
f1jim

I think this book might be able to influence someone. I've found the color picture book to be lacking the necessary gravitas to influence when giving the link to other adults. They think it's a kid's book. This full text with explanations can help with that while still preserving the simplicity of the color picture book.
Glenn
GlennR

Postby skane9041 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:05 pm

VeggieSue wrote:

When I went to the "Look Inside" for the hardcover just now, there were several recipes, there was actually a decent bit of the book that was able to be previewed.
I just ordered the hardcover, I've never been satisfied with cookbooks on either of my kindles, or with books that I want to flip around in, refer back to certain sections, etc.
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:59 am

GlennR wrote:. . .and there are others that have new names but are the same as previously published recipes.

I *did* notice that. So I guess there are no new recipes at all.
VeggieSue

Next

Return to The Lounge