Weight gain

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Weight gain

Postby viv » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:20 pm

You need to eat more calories! How about a big pile of mashed potatoes smothered in thick vegan gravy? Yummy. Or a big plate of pasta with marina sauce? Eat mostly starch and for your fruit eat bananas. Or as Colony says eat pbj's.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:28 pm

How can we be so sure, though, that the OP is suffering from a lack of calories?

Keep in mind that in someone with hormonal imbalances (PCOS and borderline PCOS), Dr Barnard recommends that people do not eat large amounts of high-fat plant foods. They advise women eat real foods with their natural fibers intact -- unprocessed starches, vegetables and high-fiber foods like legumes. They advise keeping processed starches out of your diet, like breads and flours.

I cannot know for sure, but I DO know that the hunger drive tends to keep girls from simply slipping into anorexia.

I also am under the impression that MANY girls raised on meat, dairy, oils and processed starches have hormone disturbances and the beginnings of PCOS (if not full-blown PCOS).

Skinny girls definitely get ovarian cysts, just like everyone else, so it is not appropriate to rule it out just because one has a low BMI.

Just for point of reference, I was 5'4", 125 lbs, and in my teens while experiencing infrequent periods. Now, I am 5'4", maybe 108, 41 y.o. and eating plant foods, but experiencing regular periods. My point is, unless we know whether the amenorrhea is related to disturbed ovarian functioning, we could not in good conscience encourage her to increase processed starches and nut butters, crowding out the fruits, vegetables, legumes and intact starches that would otherwise be advisable.

Worth thinking about!
roundcoconut

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks,I'll keep my fat intake under 10% then

my bmi is 19 but my doctor and parents say I need 20-21 else I'll be put in a hospital

I eat mostly starches(on 3500-4000kcal diet:not over 300kcal from veggies and 300kcal from fruit,200kcal from nuts/seeds)
PatricijaV

Postby Lisaanneb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:50 am

Hello there,
I suspect that you have amenorrhea because you have anorexia or another form of restrictive eating disorder. I am concerned that you are receiving information on the Internet from adults who do not know your background. You have to listen to your doctor and dietician, and hop off the internet.

At your age in addition to your eating disorder, the Internet should be seen as the enemy. If you keep coming onto forums asking questions to relieve that horrible voice in your head, you will never recover. You don't deserve this torture. You are fourteen, you do not need to feel guilty about going out, Having fun with your friends, watching movies, playing in the sun. You will not find the key to a happy life on these forums. Nor will you find it scouring the Internet trying to find the lowest calorie diet and obsessively reading about oils being absorbed in cosmetics. I promise you, the Internet is your enemy at the moment. Trust me, I was in your position myself. Instagram and Facebook will only be shoving unrealistic ideals in your face which will make you constantly feel like you are not good enough.

If you want to gain weight/increase BMI you to have to increase your calories whether that be in the form of fats or starch or fruit calories. Are you still dreaming about foods or constantly thinking about your next meal? If so, increase your calories. Are you still exercising? You may need to stop and still increase your calories. Most importantly though, is that you do not put any dietary restrictions on yourself. If you are craving bread, eat as much as you crave. If you want a bag of nuts, eat them. Don't be scared. It's food. You need it. Your body still is not restored to the point that it trusts you enough to give you your period back. If you are only eating a plant based diet because it's the lowest calorie or because it gives you an excuse to restrict your intake - don't do this to yourself girl, you are allowed to eat. The less restrictions you have - the less power food will hold over you. you can always following this way of life when you are recovered, older etc

One other thing, you are probably underestimating your intake (symptom of your eating disorder). As I am sure your eating disorder will keep you on the net (not your fault - it is actually your eating disorder that is making you question everything), May I suggest you take a look at a website called your eatopia.

You aren't annoying people with your questions either darling, I feel scared for you though. I hope you won't feel upset by reading this. I just know that having had anorexia myself, I can see you falling into the same deep hole that I was in.

Best of luck dear.
Lisa
Lisaanneb

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:09 am

Hi,
I didn't get upset reading it.I understand you worry.

I do not have an eating disorder,I have never had an eating disorder and I guess I will never have an eating disorder(my BMI always was lower than my friends', it's always been 10-25 percentile)
And no,I'm not restricting calories,I'm eating all the time and since I've heard that maybe I'm lacking calories I've started counting,yeah,it was 1500-2000kcal per day and then I immediatelly turned on my blender,started blending food to make it easier to consume >3500kcal.That way I gained 30 pounds so far.

I do not exercise(I used to since I was 7 to the age of 11,when I had only once period and never again) because of amenorrhea.
I do not search the net about food much(only in last week because I haven't had school,btw I have all marks A+ which I guess wouldn't be so if I had an eating disorder)

I found McDougall's diet interesting because my way of eating was similar to this McDougall's.I've been diagnosed with gastritis at thr age of 10 and couldn't eat any fatty meals(that's how I don't use oil) and I've been vegetarian since then but after a year I went vegan as it was better for my gastritis
Last edited by PatricijaV on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatricijaV

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:15 am

PatricijaV wrote:That way I gained 30 pounds so far.

Sounds like you solved the problem.
vgpedlr

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:16 am

Lisaanneb wrote:Hello there,
I suspect that you have amenorrhea because you have anorexia or another form of restrictive eating disorder. I am concerned that you are receiving information on the Internet from adults who do not know your background. You have to listen to your doctor and dietician, and hop off the internet.

At your age in addition to your eating disorder, the Internet should be seen as the enemy. If you keep coming onto forums asking questions to relieve that horrible voice in your head, you will never recover. You don't deserve this torture. You are fourteen, you do not need to feel guilty about going out, Having fun with your friends, watching movies, playing in the sun. You will not find the key to a happy life on these forums. Nor will you find it scouring the Internet trying to find the lowest calorie diet and obsessively reading about oils being absorbed in cosmetics. I promise you, the Internet is your enemy at the moment. Trust me, I was in your position myself. Instagram and Facebook will only be shoving unrealistic ideals in your face which will make you constantly feel like you are not good enough.

If you want to gain weight/increase BMI you to have to increase your calories whether that be in the form of fats or starch or fruit calories. Are you still dreaming about foods or constantly thinking about your next meal? If so, increase your calories. Are you still exercising? You may need to stop and still increase your calories. Most importantly though, is that you do not put any dietary restrictions on yourself. If you are craving bread, eat as much as you crave. If you want a bag of nuts, eat them. Don't be scared. It's food. You need it. Your body still is not restored to the point that it trusts you enough to give you your period back. If you are only eating a plant based diet because it's the lowest calorie or because it gives you an excuse to restrict your intake - don't do this to yourself girl, you are allowed to eat. The less restrictions you have - the less power food will hold over you. you can always following this way of life when you are recovered, older etc

One other thing, you are probably underestimating your intake (symptom of your eating disorder). As I am sure your eating disorder will keep you on the net (not your fault - it is actually your eating disorder that is making you question everything), May I suggest you take a look at a website called your eatopia.

You aren't annoying people with your questions either darling, I feel scared for you though. I hope you won't feel upset by reading this. I just know that having had anorexia myself, I can see you falling into the same deep hole that I was in.

Best of luck dear.
Lisa

How did you diagnose an eating disorder via the Internet?
vgpedlr

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:34 am

vgpedlr wrote:
PatricijaV wrote:That way I gained 30 pounds so far.

Sounds like you solved the problem.

If I think once again,seems that this is right and maybe I should continue doing all the same to gain another few pounds :)
PatricijaV

Postby Lisaanneb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 am

I don't typically bite back when responded to with such a blunt reply (vgpedlr) however since the original poster is a 14 year old girl (which in my eyes = vulnerable), I have decided to respond.

1. The first question I asked myself was, why would a 14 year old girl be seeing a doctor for amenorrhea? Why would her doctor be ensuring she gain to a BMI of 20-21 or else be threatened with hospitalisation?

2. Why is a fourteen year old girl counting calories? Requiring liquid foods? Hmm. The plot thickens..

3. I have read every one of the original posters questions and comments. Concerns about not exercising, parents not letting her walk outside, been forbidden to walk and exercise for the past 3 years, about absorbing calories from oils, whether she can eat bread etc. These are all red flags. Please, before commenting, do the same. This girl is extremely vulnerable and frankly I believe by encouraging her continued presence on this board, we are adding to the problem.

I am merely making an assumption that this girl has an eating disorder of course. There could be a physical health problem in the past or present that is complicating things. I did not intend for my reply to be a diagnosis. I am not a consultant psychiatrist. I never claimed to be. I am however an Adolsecent mental health nurse who specifically works with eating disordered teenagers, in addition to being a sufferer of anorexia myself. I know what this young girl is doing, I've done it all myself and seen hundreds of youngsters do the same things.

I felt compelled to advise this young lady to get herself off the net and enjoy her life, not spend great lengths of time researching ways of eating and questioning ever morsel of food that passes her lips.

There is no need for open hostility from strangers. I, as a human being, genuinely was and remains concerned for the wellbeing of this girl. I have finally realised why people stop coming to these forums, instead of support and encouragement there is unattractive behaviour from responsible adults. Ugh, sad.

To the original poster. If It is true that you do not have an eating disorder, I am glad for you. It's a horrible disorder. Regardless, my advice to you remains the same. Please get yourself off these forums/Internet and interact with people your own age. I know I may sound hypocritical by giving you advice but please believe that I am only speaking from experience and with genuine concern.

Best of luck.
Lisaanneb

Postby Golden Ghost » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:06 am

From my own experance. I can't gain weight or maintain weight eating only 10% fat. I can eat every meal until I'm stuffed and nada. Only do a little over a hour of cardio per week. I eat, to the horror of many, an avocado and PBJ every day. And add in some nuts. Don't know what my fat intake is. Also, lots of pasta and bread. 120-140 cholesterol and bmi of 20. If I cut out the fats my family will do an intervention.
Golden Ghost

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:39 am

The lack of menstrual periods is usually caused by not eating enough. Mcdougall diet encourages eating unlimited amounts of unrefined starches till you feel full and there is no need to count calories. I eat lots of whole grain bread the whole day till I feel full (I usually eat 4x a day on weekdays) and I am pretty sure I am eating enough without the need to count calories. I do not need a blender to eat lots of whole grain bread, tubers and winter squash.
colonyofcells

Postby vgpedlr » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:52 am

Lisaanneb wrote:I don't typically bite back when responded to with such a blunt reply (vgpedlr)

If "blunt" means a bad thing, I apologize. It was a simple question, nothing more.

Please, before commenting, do the same.

I did. That's why I asked the question.
This girl is extremely vulnerable and frankly I believe by encouraging her continued presence on this board, we are adding to the problem.

I disagree. I think the OP can gain from the experience of older folk, some of which have eating disorder history.
I am merely making an assumption that this girl has an eating disorder of course.

I did not intend for my reply to be a diagnosis.

Sounded like one.
I am however an Adolsecent mental health nurse who specifically works with eating disordered teenagers, in addition to being a sufferer of anorexia myself. I know what this young girl is doing, I've done it all myself and seen hundreds of youngsters do the same things.

This makes sense, and what I was asking about. I was wondering how someone could determine an eating disorder without meeting the individual.
There is no need for open hostility from strangers.

I apologize if my question appears hostile. That was not the intent.
instead of support and encouragement there is unattractive behaviour from responsible adults. Ugh, sad.

Misunderstanding are easy. You can PM individuals with your concerns.
vgpedlr

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 am

colonyofcells wrote:The lack of menstrual periods is usually caused by not eating enough. Mcdougall diet encourages eating unlimited amounts of unrefined starches till you feel full and there is no need to count calories. I eat lots of whole grain bread the whole day till I feel full (I usually eat 4x a day on weekdays) and I am pretty sure I am eating enough without the need to count calories. I do not need a blender to eat lots of whole grain bread, tubers and winter squash.

I do eat lots of food without blending but also when I feel like I can't eat as much beans with potatoes or bread I make a spread (or soup from veggies)
PatricijaV

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:03 am

Soup has lots of water which is more of a weight loss help. I also like soup bec water helps the fiber expand to help me feel full. I also drink lots of water while eating my whole grain bread. Drinking lots of water is great for maintaining health. To gain more weight, can eat less vegetables which have very little calories. Can eat more soy, nuts and seeds if want to gain weight. I like tempeh and natto. I buy nuts and seeds from costco. Costco now also sells avocado. My impression from a recent webinar is that coconuts are now in the caution list rather than banned. I used to eat coconuts as snacks when I was in the Philippines. The guy selling coconuts would go to all the places in a very long wooden cart full of coconuts and he could chop a coconut open in less than a minute. I have fond memories of scooping out soft coconut meat using a spoon. Coconuts are more expensive in america (usually imported from far away thailand) so I do not eat them anymore. I also enjoy eating frozen durian but I do not eat them anymore bec they are high in fat and also expensive. I rarely use cacao which is also high in fat.
colonyofcells

Postby PatricijaV » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:20 am

Lisaanneb wrote:I don't typically bite back when responded to with such a blunt reply (vgpedlr) however since the original poster is a 14 year old girl (which in my eyes = vulnerable), I have decided to respond.

1. The first question I asked myself was, why would a 14 year old girl be seeing a doctor for amenorrhea? Why would her doctor be ensuring she gain to a BMI of 20-21 or else be threatened with hospitalisation?

2. Why is a fourteen year old girl counting calories? Requiring liquid foods? Hmm. The plot thickens..

3. I have read every one of the original posters questions and comments. Concerns about not exercising, parents not letting her walk outside, been forbidden to walk and exercise for the past 3 years, about absorbing calories from oils, whether she can eat bread etc. These are all red flags. Please, before commenting, do the same. This girl is extremely vulnerable and frankly I believe by encouraging her continued presence on this board, we are adding to the problem.

I am merely making an assumption that this girl has an eating disorder of course. There could be a physical health problem in the past or present that is complicating things. I did not intend for my reply to be a diagnosis. I am not a consultant psychiatrist. I never claimed to be. I am however an Adolsecent mental health nurse who specifically works with eating disordered teenagers, in addition to being a sufferer of anorexia myself. I know what this young girl is doing, I've done it all myself and seen hundreds of youngsters do the same things.

I felt compelled to advise this young lady to get herself off the net and enjoy her life, not spend great lengths of time researching ways of eating and questioning ever morsel of food that passes her lips.

There is no need for open hostility from strangers. I, as a human being, genuinely was and remains concerned for the wellbeing of this girl. I have finally realised why people stop coming to these forums, instead of support and encouragement there is unattractive behaviour from responsible adults. Ugh, sad.

To the original poster. If It is true that you do not have an eating disorder, I am glad for you. It's a horrible disorder. Regardless, my advice to you remains the same. Please get yourself off these forums/Internet and interact with people your own age. I know I may sound hypocritical by giving you advice but please believe that I am only speaking from experience and with genuine concern.

Best of luck.

Maybe this here seems as I do have an eating disorder but if you met me I guess you'd change your mind.I do literally everything but worrying about food.I know that if I spend too much time on net searching about food it could become an eating disorder.I don't want an eating disorder and I know I WILL NEVER restrict calories (even if obese) because I love eating(stupid reason but it's true)
PatricijaV

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge