Greens, your favorite?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What are your favorites?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:02 am

collards
19%
turnips
3%
spinach
31%
kale
24%
other
24%

Total votes : 75

Greens, your favorite?

Postby Quinda » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:02 am

Please indicate your choice/choices. You may choose more than one or add comments for ones I did not include. You may revote too. Which green is most like collards, if any?
Quinda

Re: Greens, your favorite?

Postby pundit999 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:21 am

I use spinach the most since it tastes mild and is available frozen grown organically. It is also pretty cheap and quick to cook.

Same goes for collard greens but it takes longer to cook. And the taste is a bit stronger.

I also use Chinese Broccoli, Kai-lan, and Bak Choy a lot. I buy them inexpensively from the local Chinese store. I mostly just steam them.
There are lots of other greens available in the Chinese stores. I don't remember the names but they all taste great.
pundit999

Postby graciezoe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:11 am

Chard!
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby figlover » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:58 am

None of those taste as good to me as Dark Romaine lettuce, plus you don't need to cook it.
Steamed Chard is pretty amazing through.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Yomom » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:59 am

As Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn says:
"I recommend greens (which includes broccoli, cauliflower, bok-choy, Swiss chard, kale, collards, beet greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cilantro, parsley, spinach, arugula, etc.)

During my childhood I was exposed to only four types of greens, mostly over-cooked -- now I am slowly trying them all.
Yomom

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:39 pm

Yomom wrote:As Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn says:
"I recommend greens (which includes broccoli, cauliflower, bok-choy, Swiss chard, kale, collards, beet greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, Napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cilantro, parsley, spinach, arugula, etc.)

During my childhood I was exposed to only four types of greens, mostly over-cooked -- now I am slowly trying them all.

Since when is cauliflower a green?
Vanilla Orchid

Postby hazelrah » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:55 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Since when is cauliflower a green?

For me, since the quote appeared at Jeff's website, http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/E ... ponds.html

Sounds like the classification is to delineate them from more calorie dense, processed foods. In that sense it does seems like a green to me. But i get the incongruity of thinking of it as a green. Plus it seems closer to a green in terms of calorie density and the way it gets used in the diet.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby pundit999 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:26 pm

Cauliflower is much like Broccoli. The color is white since it is enclosed within leaves but otherwise it is nutritionally similar.

So, yes, if you eat it, you are eating a green leafy veggie as far as nutrition is concerned.
pundit999

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:29 pm

When I can get them I eat leaves from cauliflower and broccoli plants ~ greens! Other favorites are cilantro and arugala. Hard to get where I live but watercress is great. Oh and purslane, love the purslane. Cabbage is pretty mild and generally one of least $$$; red cabbage not green but probably fits in there as well. Took me awhile to "develop a taste" for greens in general, heck all veg made me gag as a child. But health reasons forced me to start eating them so fill the "hole" left by needing to eat low calorie and after some months I started to sort of crave them. Go figure...

Almost forgot Asian greens. I got really hooked on 4 or 5 different ones when living outside Tucson near a HUGE Asian grocery. Now can't really get them except for mizuna that a local farmer puts in his salad mix. Really enjoyed New Zealand spinach which is not true spinach but was widely available when I was in Ecuador.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby kirkj » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:47 pm

I really like collards. Kale tastes too sharp to me, but collards are fine. They also don't have ruffled leaves so they are easier to cut up. I grow my own collards and get them fresh from mid-June to mid-October. I froze about 50 pounds for the winter. Not sure yet if that was too much. I also like turnip greens though they taste nasty to me if they have been frozen. Last summer and fall I also grew tatsoi, which tastes kind of like a very mild mustard/spinach. I like bok choi too, but not as much as the tatsoi.
kirkj

Postby hazelrah » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:03 pm

hazelrah wrote:
Vanilla Orchid wrote:Since when is cauliflower a green?

For me, since the quote appeared at Jeff's website, http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/E ... ponds.html

Sounds like the classification is to delineate them from more calorie dense, processed foods. In that sense it does seem like a green to me. But i get the incongruity of thinking of it as a green. Plus it seems closer to a green in terms of calorie density and the way it gets used in the diet.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:40 pm

I'm not sure which I eat most often, between kale, spinach and collards. Maybe kale. I like kale, spinach, collards, gai lan, and bok choy. Gai lan is very mild. Much milder than collards. Chard is pretty. But it tastes a bit too much like beets, unfortunately. I probably buy curly kale more often than the other types of kale. Generally, I'll lean toward what's on sale. I also like cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Escarole is nice. Cauliflower. I love cauliflower. I haven't tried the purple/orange/green/non-white cauliflowers.

I don't know that any other green leafy is that much like collards. They all seem to differ to some extent. I'm sure I'm no help. :lol:

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/substit ... 10497.html
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:10 pm

I like purslane and lambsquarters.
colonyofcells

Postby MINNIE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:36 pm

I eat any of those choices, but my true favorite is Romaine lettuce.

Just wash and eat it -yum :D .

If I had to pick a green that seems most like collards, I would say chard.

Just one opinion.
MINNIE

Postby MINNIE » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 pm

post deleted
Last edited by MINNIE on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
MINNIE

Next

Return to The Lounge