Has anyone's vision noticeably improved on this woe?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Has anyone's vision noticeably improved on this woe?

Postby dailycarbs » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:33 am

I could swear mine has. Not reading/close distance. That's gotten a little worse—which is normal for my age. Long distance, it's the same or quite possibly a little better. Where I notice a distinct improvement is light/dark situations. Used to have trouble for example, while driving in sunlight and entering a tunnel. It would take a while for eyes to adjust. Now it happnes much faster. Any situation with bright sunlight and shadows was more challenging before. I can even drive without sunglasses on a sunny day (if need be). This was unthinkable prior to woe. The bright conditions would blind me (imagine snow blindness effect).

I did notice in CRON-O-Meter that my vitamin A is off the charts. Ran a typical day through and got 56885.0 IU—which is almost 2000% of rda. The lettuce, carrots and sweet potatoes really pack in a lot of vitamin A. Been on woe for 5 years. Just wondering out load if anyone else has noticed something similar.
dailycarbs

Re: Has anyone's vision noticeably improved on this woe?

Postby nicoles » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:36 am

Yes. Every time I have gone to the optometrist since starting this WOE, my myopia has improved, without any corresponding increase in close vision deterioration.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Eater » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:50 am

nicoles wrote:Yes. Every time I have gone to the optometrist since starting this WOE, my myopia has improved, without any corresponding increase in close vision deterioration.

What are your numbers before and now?
Eater

Postby Varius » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:52 pm

In the some of Nathan Pritikin's "Lost Lectures", he talks about how there are significant differences in the seeing and hearing ability of populations eating a Western diet and populations eating a starch based diet. It was pretty "wow" stuff and I was very surprised as I hadn't heard this before. After hearing it I was also kind surprised that Dr McDougall doesn't mention it.

Here is a link to the lectures: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -pritikin/

Number eight has information on hearing and eyesight and I think number seven does as well though I think he mostly repeats the same information.
Varius

Postby Crider » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm

Like Nicole, my myopia has also improved a little bit.
Crider

Postby MINNIE » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:48 am

Mine has improved, although I'm not sure it's diet related.

I asked my optometrist at my last yearly vision exam, and she said that it's normal to see myopia improve as people age regardless of lifestyle. She did say that my eyes looked very healthy, and that it can be diet-related. She also recommends that patients eat leafy greens and other fruits and vegetables for general eye health.

I needed to get a weaker prescription for my glasses, so whatever the reason I am pleased with that:).
MINNIE

Postby mapat » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:36 pm

My last exam also showed improvement, second time since starting this WOE. I'm sure the extra vitamins help a lot, also with generally all-over better health, an increased oxygen supply may also be part of the reason.
mapat

Postby Eater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:58 pm

But.... anyone has any prescription numbers? So we can gauge improvement?
Eater

Postby pundit999 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:11 pm

Before I started on this path, I was pre diabetic and my vision was a bit cloudy at times. After three years and having lost 30 lbs, I am not pre diabetic. And my vision is sharper.
pundit999

Postby Eater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:16 pm

pundit999 wrote:my vision was a bit cloudy at times. After three years (...) my vision is sharper.

Again, any numbers? This entire thread is anecdotal at best.
Eater

Postby Eater » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm

MINNIE wrote:Mine has improved, although I'm not sure it's diet related. I asked my optometrist at my last yearly vision exam, and she said that it's normal to see myopia improve as people age regardless of lifestyle.

This is interesting and the first time I've heard of this in my 25+ years of getting my myopia corrected.
Eater

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:54 am

sunlight is important for retinal dopamine levels. recent studies show our indoor lifestyle has a lot to do with it, as well
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby pundit999 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:00 am

Eater wrote:
pundit999 wrote:my vision was a bit cloudy at times. After three years (...) my vision is sharper.

My numbers are the same but the vision is clearer. Cloudy vision is a known complication of diabetes:

Blurry vision is often one of the first warning signs of diabetes. Your vision may be blurry because fluid is leaking into the lens of your eye. This makes the lens swell and change shape. Those changes make it hard for your eyes to focus, so things start to look fuzzy.

http://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/blurry-vision#Overview1

Regarding the other question here, it is a known fact that myopia improves in latter years. You see better farther but worse close.
pundit999

Postby MINNIE » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:35 am

For anyone seriously interested in this question, I think it's best to discuss this with an eye care doctor, as anything we say here will be anecdotal.

If I posted my prescription numbers, that would be anecdotal too, as no one could verify that I didn't make them up :evil:
MINNIE

Postby Doug_ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:31 pm

Eater wrote:

I am nearsighted, and one year after switching to WFPB, at the age of 30, my vision improved for the first time. I was getting headaches by the end of the day and I thought it might be vision related so I had an eye exam, where after the exam my contacts prescription went from -4.50 to -4.00 in both eyes. No more headaches.
Last edited by Doug_ on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doug_

Next

Return to The Lounge