Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Garth Davis, Proteinaholic

Postby StarchHEFP » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:50 am

colonyofcells wrote:Protein is back :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 080629.htm

See the details:
A total of 37 people (24 men, 13 women) with type 2 diabetes (mean age 65 years, mean BMI 30 kg/m², mean HbA1c 7.0%) were randomised to receive either high-animal (meat and dairy foods) or high-plant (dietary pulses) protein diet (30% protein, 40% carbohydrates, 30% fat) for 6 weeks. Before and after the diet intervention, various tests were completed to measure the above parameters

Usually studies of 6 weeks duration with a total of 37 people aren't so valid unless the magnitude of the effect is miraculous (such as that found with Dr. Esselstyn's initial study). But the interesting finding is that kidney function improved in the group with plant protein.
StarchHEFP

Postby patty » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:17 pm

StarchHEFP wrote:
colonyofcells wrote:Protein is back :
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 080629.htm

See the details:
A total of 37 people (24 men, 13 women) with type 2 diabetes (mean age 65 years, mean BMI 30 kg/m², mean HbA1c 7.0%) were randomised to receive either high-animal (meat and dairy foods) or high-plant (dietary pulses) protein diet (30% protein, 40% carbohydrates, 30% fat) for 6 weeks. Before and after the diet intervention, various tests were completed to measure the above parameters

Usually studies of 6 weeks duration with a total of 37 people aren't so valid unless the magnitude of the effect is miraculous (such as that found with Dr. Esselstyn's initial study). But the interesting finding is that kidney function improved in the group with plant protein.

How great is that?

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby followtheroad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:19 pm

I actually learned about the book Proteinaholic last week and pre-ordered it from amazon yesterday. It arrives first week of October! So it was fun to read this thread.

I have no problems with the type of surgery he does. I've been so judgmental for a chunk of my life, and I'm not going there anymore. What is important to me is that he is focused on plant-based eating, he talks about obesity-causing oils, and wrote a book about a healthy lifestyle that hopefully his patients will read.

I give full support to anyone who recommends this way of eating, no matter what their trade.
followtheroad

Postby followtheroad » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:40 pm

p.s. Regarding the low carb book recommendations he gave back in 2007, he is very open about this and how wrong he was. On his website, you can read the introduction to Proteinaholic, and he discusses this. We all evolve and hopefully change for the better. We just can't let our past define us.
followtheroad

Postby StarchHEFP » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:15 am

followtheroad wrote:I actually learned about the book Proteinaholic last week and pre-ordered it from amazon yesterday. It arrives first week of October! So it was fun to read this thread.

I have no problems with the type of surgery he does. I've been so judgmental for a chunk of my life, and I'm not going there anymore. What is important to me is that he is focused on plant-based eating, he talks about obesity-causing oils, and wrote a book about a healthy lifestyle that hopefully his patients will read.

I give full support to anyone who recommends this way of eating, no matter what their trade.

followtheroad wrote:p.s. Regarding the low carb book recommendations he gave back in 2007, he is very open about this and how wrong he was. On his website, you can read the introduction to Proteinaholic, and he discusses this. We all evolve and hopefully change for the better. We just can't let our past define us.

Thanks for these wonderful words of wisdom. I downloaded the intro (and also the bonuses for preordering) and I see how he talks about his past lifestyle. He didn't address why he still does weight loss surgery, but from the other posts I'm reading, it looks like he has a very thriving and lucrative surgery practice, and there are probably some real family pressures (from dad) as well. Hopefully his book will take off like gangbusters and generate enough hype that he and dad can convert their surgery practice into a full-blown plant-based clinic, take off like the Rice Diet clinic (without the abuse) and leave scalpels behind! I am hoping for his success, and I see how his message is sincere. I am going to listen to Howard Jacobsen's interview with him from last year at http://plantyourself.com/pyp-059-dr-garth-davis-on-weight-loss-and-true-health/ to learn more and also hope that he gives another one at the book launch.

I would probably see his predicament the same as a restaurant owner who suddenly goes vegan, but has the difficult task of serving meat every day despite knowing what goes on (having eaten the same way previously!) How can you leave a family business and livelihood behind that you've been doing for so long? And how can you leave your patrons behind, when only a few would continue coming to your place?
StarchHEFP

Postby followtheroad » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:35 am

Exactly! I try to look at the bigger picture. When you have a family to support and are already in a firmly established business, there are considerations that go beyond plant eating.
followtheroad

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:30 am

followtheroad wrote:Exactly! I try to look at the bigger picture. When you have a family to support and are already in a firmly established business, there are considerations that go beyond plant eating.

Just listened to a wonderful podcast interview with Dr. Garth Davis at http://plantyourself.com/pyp-059-dr-garth-davis-on-weight-loss-and-true-health/ In it he does talk about this conflict and his hopes and dreams for the future. I encourage all the followers of this thread to listen and it will make a lot of sense. I wish him all the success. Right now he combines surgical weight loss with a plant prescription. His effectiveness is to have 1 foot in the surgical/medical and 1 foot in the plant based world right now; maybe after a critical mass he can jump in with both feet!
StarchHEFP

Postby patty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 am

I enjoyed the interview... Mahalo for posting.

My impression is physically he doesn't understand the impact of starch/satiety.. where it quells the unrequited hunger, where the vegetable is a condiment. This is where we pay it forward as this is a body, mind and social disease. When we are no longer afraid our last meal isn't going to get served can we relax and be here. It is important every individual understands they are the most important component in the feedback loop of the medical industry and food industry. Self care is the best care when I am You, is practiced. It is the giving non-losing law all nature knows. He is still deeply embedded in the duality flip of food and money.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Katydid » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:32 am

Dr. Davis had a great post on Mind-Body-Green the other day. A few weeks earlier, a woman who called herself a nutritionist wrote a piece about why she was worried about her vegan patients. For which the comment section quite rightly tore her a new one. This is Dr. Davis' reply. Seems like someone was paying attention at the ASW :lol: Note: There is a link to the original article in his piece - unbelievable in this day and age.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-21759/im ... ve-concern

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby bbq » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:37 am

FYI - video about that nutritionist Michelle Strong:

http://youtu.be/-FtboZrlkU8
bbq

Postby StarchHEFP » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:56 am

Update:

Dr. Garth Davis' dad, Dr. Robert Davis is trying out plant based! Here's a FB post. Looks absolutely delicious. Hope Dr. Robert Davis thought so too!

My mother read "Proteinaholic" and has decided my father has to stop eating meat. First meal of his plant based diet is Blue Nile Ethiopian. So good. He doesn't look impressed.

https://www.facebook.com/drgarth/posts/1032392033448371:0
StarchHEFP

Postby Katydid » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:17 am

I love the expression on his face. He looks like my Dad would have if presented with the same meal :lol:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:23 am

If he doesn't want it, I'll take it!

LOVE Ethiopian food.
vgpedlr

Postby Skip » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:51 pm

smudgemom wrote:I just don't see a baratric physician any different than the thousands of physicians pushing pills. It's just a Band-aid.

I come to a GP, obese & high blood pressure. They COULD say lose weight, but they push pills.
I come to a baratric clinic, obese & high blood pressure. They COULD say lose weight, but they cut me open. Same difference.

Garth Davis is a good-looking guy that interviews well, so his message will always be 'heard'. But like I said in a previous post, he doesn't have enough tread on the tires to be taken seriously or on the level of McDougall/Esselstyn/Barnard, etc.

Only 7 years ago, he was pushing low carb...even wrote a book about it. Who's to say 7 years from now he won't flip back to LCHF? I would have much more respect if he would personally and professionally 'walk the talk'. Until then, thank but no thanks.

I'm smart enough to think 'all news is good news' about this WOE. More people talking about it, the better. Like I said earlier, Garth Davis is a good looking guy that interviews well. His message will be heard with different ears for many different people. If he gains the popularity, the hypocrisy between his professional/personal life will come to life...and could hurt the original LFWFPB message McDougall/Esselstyn, etc has worked so hard to obtain.

Now that his book is out, if you give it a read, you may change your mind about the integrity of Garth Davis. Perhaps we should start a new thread on the great value of his book.....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby StarchHEFP » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Would love to discuss the book! Let's do it, you start the new thread. I had preordered on Kindle, and I started right away. This book, plus the above post about dad, and the podcast interview about him, really won me over, and I'm a fan. He seems to endorse the McDougall way. Satiety = potato.
StarchHEFP

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge