soy milk?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

soy milk?

Postby Maer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi to all,

Does anyone here use soymilk? If not, any suggestions on what to soak raw rolled oats in overnight, to eat raw but softened the next morning? I can't have fruit, and am really out of ideas.

thanks,
Maer
Maer

Re: soy milk?

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:03 pm

I have soaked oat groats overnight using water. I cook the oat groats. I don't like soymilk bec. it has either 0 fiber or very little fiber compared to soy beans. Instead of soymilk, I would prefer to boil oat groats and beans together like rice and beans. Can also throw in some vegetables.
colonyofcells

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 pm

Rare treat for me but I too soak in plain old water. Then in the morning add a some fruit, maybe blueberries and a little cinnamon and eat it up. Cold days I heat it to eating temp or even cook it a little
GeoffreyLevens

Postby MINNIE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:31 pm

I do use soy milk some of the time . ( It isn't forbidden on the McDougall plan) . It may or may not be suitable for you, depending on your own needs.

You can look at the nutrition info on the labels and see if there is a brand that might work for you. For reference, I use this version:

https://silk.com/products/organic-unsweetened-soymilk

I probably use soy milk 30% of the time, and plain water the rest of the time. It's mostly a cost issue for me -water is a lot cheaper:).

Fortunately, the oats taste good either way.

P.S. Some people make their own rice milk, and if you eat rice that can be a good (and cheap) alternative. Here's a recipe from Happy Herbivore. http://happyherbivore.com/2011/08/what- ... lk-recipe/

That's way more complicated that I would would do it though. You can also just put the cooked rice in a blender with water, if you don't care about duplicating a commercial rice milk product.
MINNIE

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Silk soymilk can have lots of weird ingredients and artificial vitamins. The natural flavors might not even be vegan. Only god knows what is in natural flavors. It is usually better to eat real food.
colonyofcells

Postby dumbbunny » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:09 pm

I make my own soymilk.
I don't do any hot cereals
(Except) quinoa.
But if I was going to try to soak oats
I think I probably would soak it in any kind of vegetable or fruit juice.
My preference here since I have it readily available fresh pick.
Would be Watercress & Purslane .
dumbbunny

Postby brec » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 pm

The only soy milk I've seen that contains only soybeans and water is Westbrae Natural's Westsoy Organic Unsweetened Plain Soymilk.

I splash some on my morning oatmeal -- maybe 1/2 cup. The oatmeal is old-fashioned rolled oats plus water that I cook in a microwave for four minutes. I add cinnamon, flax meal, blueberries, and a banana.
brec

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:00 pm

I generally use oat milk to soak oats. It's usually lower in fat than soy milk, and tastes kind of similar to whole milk. I do occasionally use soy milk for other things.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby AnnaSpanna » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:31 pm

I use soy milk but because it's so high fat compared to other milks I dilute it, at a guesstimate of 1 part soy milk to 2 parts water, when I have it on cereal. :)
AnnaSpanna

Postby Katydid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 am

I'm going to go with the oat milk since you have oats anyway. Put 1/4 cup of oats and a cup of water in the blender and blend to a milky consistency. Add a little vanilla (if you like) and dump over the dry oats. No muss, no fuss, no creepy additives and costs about a penny. Win, Win, Win.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby graciezoe » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:54 am

I use Pacific oat milk or make banana milk, per the Esselstyne's book.
A HCLF Vegan.
Cardio Goal: 650 minutes a week on treadclimber and Bowflex Max 5 plus, weekend hikes.

Starting weight on 3/2014 was 304 lbs
Weight as of 4/2016 is 114 lbs
graciezoe

Postby Taggart » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:08 am

Katydid wrote:I'm going to go with the oat milk since you have oats anyway. Put 1/4 cup of oats and a cup of water in the blender and blend to a milky consistency. Add a little vanilla (if you like) and dump over the dry oats. No muss, no fuss, no creepy additives and costs about a penny. Win, Win, Win.

Kate

Thanks very much for this Kate. I tried it this morning for the first time this morning on my steel cut oats cooked in liquid banana, and so easy to make, just the sort of recipe I look for. With this, I may eventually give up on the store bought unsweetened soy or almond drink I usually buy. Less groceries to lug home from the local supermarkets as well.
Taggart

Postby hazelrah » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:51 pm

Katydid wrote:I'm going to go with the oat milk since you have oats anyway. Put 1/4 cup of oats and a cup of water in the blender and blend to a milky consistency. Add a little vanilla (if you like) and dump over the dry oats. No muss, no fuss, no creepy additives and costs about a penny. Win, Win, Win.

Kate

OK. It's soaking on my Saturday morning muleslips gruel. If it doesn't taste good I'm blaming you.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Katydid » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:45 pm

Good is a relative term. You get hungry enough and it will taste fabulous :lol:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby hazelrah » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:16 pm

Katydid wrote:Good is a relative term. You get hungry enough and it will taste fabulous :lol:

Kate

I was surprised at how quickly and easily it thickened up. It's a good substitute for packaged non dairy milks.

It wasn't quite as tempting as the almond milk I usually splurge with on Saturday mueslix. The oat flavor is already in the grains, and the almond milk probably triggers a bit of a pleasure trap response. So I absolve you of any remorse regarding the thwarting of my insatiable desire to pig out on the weekends.

Thanks for the idea.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Next

Return to The Lounge