living long on red meat and cigarettes

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

living long on red meat and cigarettes

Postby dteresa » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:52 pm

http://drmirkin.com/histories-and-myste ... -pain.html

Overweight, heart disease, three heart attacks, stent placement, pain from an accident, a smoker and still alive at 89. Diet wasn't mentioned but I am betting he isn't a card carrying vegan. There can be very good arguments made in favor of a healthy lifestyle but I do not think longevity is necessarily one of them. Quality of life is another matter.

didi
dteresa

Re: living long on red meat and cigarettes

Postby patty » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:22 am

Practicing this WOE awakens a awareness we are living daily with a life or death issue, and we can only have a daily reprieve of longevity. The quality of a life review we have a limited view for we can't see the whole picture. Kindness creates happiness. So the logical mind grasps what Spiritual teachers have been saying for eons "I am you." So in essence everything is meaningful with a shift of perception, which happens with a living a terminal illness. That is why there is no one sicker than me:) As Dr. Campbell says in "Whole" it has to be from the bottom up.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby BlueHeron » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:50 pm

A good diet does not guarantee longevity, and a bad diet does not guarantee an early death. Probably almost everyone on this board can name someone who lived an extremely long life while maintaining a poor diet. It is probably less easy to find someone who maintained good health, but it's possible (I know a few). And you can obviously have a perfect diet and get hit by a car.

But let's say everyone on this board was told you have ten more years left no matter what you do. I would guess most of us would maintain this WOE or something close to it because we know we feel better if we maintain good health (plus some people maintain at least part of the diet for ethical reasons). If we could be guaranteed exactly ten years of excellent health no matter what we did, that would be a different matter.
BlueHeron

Postby awest27 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:31 pm

His diet isn't keeping him alive, his doctors are. He'd have been dead by now otherwise.
awest27

Postby jay kaye » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:17 pm

Just luck. Look at it his way. In 75 years, about 2,000 people have jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge. 33 have survived and a few were actually uninjured.. So can you follow an unhealthy lifestyle and live to a ripe old age, probably not. but here are always the lucky exceptions. But like jumping off bridge. I am not going to follow you to see if can buck the odds and be lucky too.

j
jay kaye

Postby Acura » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:04 pm

To me, feeling good, looking good, being trim, no belly flopping all around, and energetic in an of itself is worth more whether it extends life or not. Also, when you are involved in an unhealthy stuff, death is a better trade off, the problem is a lot of times, you don't straight a way die, incapacitated life is not worth living. Even if you are lessening even a slight chance of being crippled by adopting a healthy lifestyle, then it is all worthed whether it it adds days and years to your life or not.
CC
Acura

Postby dteresa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 am

My daugter's in laws, 80 and 76 years old, are vibrant, interesting, active people. But they carry their meds with them when they visit. In a shoe box. That's how many meds they use between them.

didi
dteresa

Postby Acura » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:56 am

My father in law lives on Medicines. It seems to help him. Here We talk about how medicines have side effects and they lower markers but do not treat the root cause etc. There are many paradoxes in this world. Sometimes it doesn't make sense but it is true and lives you dumbfounded.
CC
Acura

Postby calvin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Bad diet seems to guarantee you will not die of old age.
calvin

Return to The Lounge