The Pleasure Trap Trigger Foods Poll

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Which is the biggest trigger food for you in regard to The Pleasure Trap & overeating

Poll ended at Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:53 am

High Fat Plant Foods - Nuts, Seeds, etc
24%
Flour Products - Breads, Bagels, Crackers, Dry Cereals, etc
55%
Dried Fruit - Dates, Raisins Figs, etc
4%
Free Sugars - Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Agave, etc
17%

Total votes : 89

Re: The Pleasure Trap Trigger Foods

Postby winter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am

High Fat Plant Foods - Nuts, Seeds, etc: I only like eating Macadamia Nuts and these are insanely expensive. So off the menu...

Free Sugars - Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey, Agave, etc: I don't really mess around with these. I have been curious what blackstrip molasses tastes like since as I understand it has a lot of nutrients.

Dried Fruit - Dates, Raisins Figs, etc: I've never taken drugs but I would picture them to be like Dried Dates. These are my downfall - I can go through 1,000+ calories in a sitting easy! Needless to say, I would call these Mother Natures Candy Bar.

Flour Products - Breads, Bagels, Crackers, Dry Cereals, etc: I voted for this. Freshly baked bread that is still warm and has that crusty exterior ... love it! Yes, off the list. :(
winter

Postby jay kaye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Jeff,

I have always put chocolate in the the High Fat Plant food category, but you only list nuts and avocado?

j
jay kaye

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:28 pm

BlueHeron wrote:It always bothers me when people say no one can eat nuts in moderation. I have no problem eating an ounce or less and stopping. In fact, when I was eating nuts, I decided to weigh my normal amount to make sure it wasn't over an ounce. It was half an ounce. I also have never liked cheese, which always gets cited as the biggest problem for going vegan. But I can easily eat half a loaf of French bread at one sitting. People's tastes are just different.

Same. I eat the same amount of nuts daily -- a handful in my oatmeal. Never any urge to eat more.
Jack Monzon

Postby JeffN » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:43 pm

jay kaye wrote:Jeff,

I have always put chocolate in the the High Fat Plant food category, but you only list nuts and avocado?

j

Thanks.

I am trying to limit it to foods deemed somewhat acceptable on the WFPB diet and tend to be trigger foods. The three biggest ones on a WFPB diet are nuts/seeds, flour products and dried fruits. Salt also but salt is consumed as part of a food, most often bread products. Some consider maple syrup and honey as whole foods too.

But yes, chocolate is the #1 craved food in the world.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Trinity » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:53 pm

My guilty stress/anxiety-eating thing right now (since I recently stopped drinking alcohol) is eating brown sugar straight out of the bag I keep in the freezer. :( I tell myself at least it won't turn to fat! :lol:
Trinity

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 pm

BlueHeron wrote:
So what are you basing your "almost no one" on?

Common sense. And there's this:

JeffN wrote:The three biggest ones on a WFPB diet are nuts/seeds, flour products and dried fruits.

If it makes you feel better, substitute "most" or "many" or "majority." Just reading these boards gives one a pretty good indication of trigger foods and they're not potatoes or rice.
dailycarbs

Postby Debbie » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:04 pm

My biggest is the bread category....But not really bread persay but dry cereal and donuts especially. I can have a piece of bread or pretzel and move on....although as Ive gone along, even dry cereal doesnt seem to affect me the same and it used to. But donuts.....

Nuts, dry fruit, and free sugars dont seem to bother me at all....NOW in combo all bets are off. LOL Donuts....flour, deep fried with sugar on top....You get the picture. :lol:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby BlueHeron » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:00 pm

dailycarbs wrote:
BlueHeron wrote:
So what are you basing your "almost no one" on?

Common sense. And there's this:

JeffN wrote:The three biggest ones on a WFPB diet are nuts/seeds, flour products and dried fruits.

If it makes you feel better, substitute "most" or "many" or "majority." Just reading these boards gives one a pretty good indication of trigger foods and they're not potatoes or rice.

Common sense? I'll ignore then. Not because it makes me feel better. Because I go by evidence. It used to be common sense that the earth was flat.

And the potatoes and rice comment - if you think that proves nuts are triggering for most people, well, I can't do anything but bow out of the discussion.
BlueHeron

Postby skane9041 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Definitely the nuts and the bread/flour products. I don't have a desire to overeat actual nuts, however nut butters are a big trigger for me. Pretty much any kind of bread other than sprouted grain types just makes me want more, as does any kind of pasta.
I really never use dried fruit of any kind, or syrups, sweetener-type things and they have never been a trigger for me even when I did eat them.
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby patty » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:31 pm

I am grateful for letting go my fear of wheat. I find I feel healthier when I eat bread/flour. I no longer have stress incontinence, at 72 that is a Woo hoo:) Bread had always been a downer for me. It is important for me to know body, mind and socially the satiety is from the starch and veggies are the condiment. I love Jeff's bean burger between two slices of Rye. It is the combination of SOS in processed foods that are trigger foods. I love baking pizza crust with spinach included in the flour, topping with veggies or cheese made without fat or nuts. Last night I made a sorbet with frozen bananas, cherries and unsweetened cocoa. No problem. It's the nuts, the fat and oil along with SOS processed foods that is the trigger foods for me. And it is important to make ethical choices with sweeteners.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:46 pm

As long as I satisfy my hunger, I probably get some pleasure out of satisfying my daily hunger. I don't seem to have any addiction to specific foods aside from satisfying my daily hunger with real foods that have lots of fiber and I boil a big bowl of soup as my meal for every meal. I don't miss junk foods and I don't miss animal products.
colonyofcells

Postby vgpedlr » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm

I my mind, avocados and nuts are a tie with but flour products, but I chose flour. I don't kid myself about the calorie density of nuts and avocados, so it's easier to limit them as a condiment on a dish. If I keep roasted and salted nuts out of reach they stay that way. BUT bread is harder to limit because it is a starch after all. So it seems OK in my mind, which lets me overdo it.

I don't have a sweet tooth, so dried fruits and sweeteners truly are condiments for me. I put some dried berries in my oatmeal, and occasionally use a fluid sweetener to balance out sour/acidic flavors in a dish.
vgpedlr

Postby kirkj » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Peanut butter is probably the worst one for me. It is in the house but I never touch it because I can't stop without eating about half a cup of it. Cookies and sweet baked things are about as bad, but it depends on what it is. I don't especially like cake or donuts and would not have a problem with either of those. I can get in trouble with bread, too.

I don't crave any of these foods, though. It is only if I have that first bite.
kirkj

Postby geo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm

Definitely flour based products: bread and pasta's. Give me some and I can't stop. I can easily eat a whole French baguette at a sitting. Without floor, there's no sandwich or pizza or pasta's or many breakfast cereals or pancakes or waffles, etc...(yes I know there are sub's for these types of food but I hate them all. Its either the real thing or nothing for me). So for me its simply about complete abstinence to flour based foods, which is not really hard to do given everything else I can eat.

Nuts/seeds etc... are definitely a big trigger food for me and a hand full definitely won't due, but this category of triggers is easy for me to break/avoid as its generally just too expensive for me. So economics plays a huge part in easily avoiding this pleasure trap.

Sugar is no issue at all. I don't care for most sweets. I use a little sugar maybe a teaspoon in oatmeal in a day if that much and don't harbor any ill will towards sugar products.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby flowerblue » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Sugar. I crave chocolate. I fight it every time I go shopping.
flowerblue

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge