Under what conditions would you eat animal products?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Under what conditions would you eat animal products?

Postby Drew_ab » Thu May 21, 2015 6:02 am

Under what conditions would you eat animal products? Perhaps a on feast days like Christmas and Thanksgiving? Would it have to be outright survival lost in the wilderness? What if you were a burn victim or recovering from surgery and needed to expedite tissue healing? Would a call from the devine impact that?

For the record I eat about 1% of my calories from animal products.
Drew_ab

Re: Under what conditions would you eat animal products?

Postby MINNIE » Thu May 21, 2015 6:20 am

I'm on a desert island where there is no vegetation or any other edible substance on land or in the water. I have used up all my reserves of body fat. I have no mobile phone or other device that allows me to communicate with the outside world and order vegan take out food.

But miraculously, I find a can opener. Then can of Spam floats ashore.

:-D
MINNIE

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 6:41 am

I allow a tiny % of my calories (0-5%) for animal products for convenience and a change of pace. I never buy or bring it into the house. I may have a piece of cake or a pastry (dairy) when socializing at a gathering. On rare occasions I may have some seafood because I live in a coastal area where local fishermen and restaurants dominate and it feels like the thing to do when I'm out with friends. Sometimes I'll get a veggie dish that has oil if it's really appealing otherwise. The Korean stone garden comes to mind. I never eat meat, chicken, or pork.

It's the best I can do and still feel as though I can socialize with people in this envirionment without making them feel weird or making a federal case out of the food. I've been doing this for 5 years and have no fear of slipping or falling off the wagon as I'm no longer addicted to sad food and whenever I do break from the diet, I'm eager for my big salad, starches, and fruit the next day. And to be honest, I like the once in a while change of pace (mostly to get out of the kitchen and not to have to always bring my own food everywhere). We all do the best we can.
dailycarbs

Postby Ltldogg » Thu May 21, 2015 7:10 am

I don't let social pressure dictate my health or risk of unhealthiness of myself, others and or the animals that suffer for no reason. I know better now and happier for it. I'm no going to eat animals no matter what. If there are animals around then there are plants around to nurture me. Simple fact.
Ltldogg

Postby petero » Thu May 21, 2015 7:16 am

Eating animals is against my ethics, my religions (counting this one :D ), my understanding of health, the health of the environment and sustainable human civilization. I can only eat meat and still maintain my integrity if I have no other choice and if I hunt or fish for it myself. So it would be OK if I had no choice but to live like Mick Dodge in the northern climate he's in. Other than that, I can't really think of a situation where I would need to hunt and couldn't just gather. There's a dumpster outside of every grocery store and it would be irresponsible (and ridiculous from an energy-conservation standpoint) to put myself in a wilderness survival situation where I didn't know what local plants were edible.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby Jack Monzon » Thu May 21, 2015 8:23 am

Under no circumstances. Animal products are not permitted on this program.
Jack Monzon

Postby colonyofcells » Thu May 21, 2015 10:36 am

Rules were made for people and not people for rules.
colonyofcells

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Thu May 21, 2015 3:45 pm

I give the same answer, off plan foods rarely and only at a social gathering or restaurant. I had fish in March for a traditional Lenten meal and enjoyed it very much, no guilt here
dailycarbs wrote:I allow a tiny % of my calories (0-5%) for animal products for convenience and a change of pace. I never buy or bring it into the house. I may have a piece of cake or a pastry (dairy) when socializing at a gathering.
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 4:11 pm

WyldMoonWoman wrote:I had fish in March for a traditional Lenten meal and enjoyed it very much, no guilt here

I've had fish once in the last six months. I'd hate to think that makes me a piranha (ahem, I mean pariah). :D
dailycarbs

Postby spartahawk » Thu May 21, 2015 4:19 pm

When I can't find plant food for more than a couple days.

Which will probably never happen in my lifetime.

But if it does, meat, eggs, and milk are excellent emergency foods.
spartahawk

Postby sharonbikes » Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 pm

A dear friend of mine told me that people who say they would never ever eat X, have never been hungry. I am grateful to live in a time and place where I get to choose what I care to eat.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Thu May 21, 2015 6:41 pm

sharonbikes wrote:A dear friend of mine told me that people who say they would never ever eat X, have never been hungry. I am grateful to live in a time and place where I get to choose what I care to eat.

Sharon

I remember many moons ago being a dirt poor college student....I ate ketchup, mayo, and mustard sandwiches for a week when my car broke down and I had to spend what little money I had to fix it...those were some hungry days indeed...the food pantry was my salvation in those dark times...I hope to never have to eat spam again...but I did, and I would again if I was hungry...we do the best we can and are fortunate to be able to have fresh produce.
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Ltldogg » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 pm

WyldMoonWoman wrote:
sharonbikes wrote:A dear friend of mine told me that people who say they would never ever eat X, have never been hungry. I am grateful to live in a time and place where I get to choose what I care to eat.

Sharon

I remember many moons ago being a dirt poor college student....I ate ketchup, mayo, and mustard sandwiches for a week when my car broke down and I had to spend what little money I had to fix it...those were some hungry days indeed...the food pantry was my salvation in those dark times...I hope to never have to eat spam again...but I did, and I would again if I was hungry...we do the best we can and are fortunate to be able to have fresh produce.

If that was the case you could buy so much white rice, brown rice, potatoes or oats for much cheaper per ounce or pound then you ever will with animal products. Need some flavor with those, add cheap fruits like bananas or tomato puree (no salt, no other ingredients). Want a spice, buy black pepper which is dirt cheap. Viola, mega cheap, healthy, no animals harmed!
Ltldogg

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Thu May 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Ltldogg wrote:
WyldMoonWoman wrote:

Sharon

If that was the case you could buy so much white rice, brown rice, potatoes or oats for much cheaper per ounce or pound then you ever will with animal products. Need some flavor with those, add cheap fruits like bananas or tomato puree (no salt, no other ingredients). Want a spice, buy black pepper which is dirt cheap. Viola, mega cheap, healthy, no animals harmed!

That was in the eighties...bought two loaves of bread for less than $2...food for a week...I haven't had a condiments sandwich since then...it was awful...the spam was free
Last edited by WyldMoonWoman on Thu May 21, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby Denise » Thu May 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Just won't ever happen.
Denise

Next

Return to The Lounge