The Insured Poor

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The Insured Poor

Postby Spiral » Tue May 26, 2015 2:37 pm

petero wrote:If anyone can get more care than anyone else, then the system is unjust.

But why would that be unjust? Let's say that my wife is an expert at physical therapy. Let's also imagine that with all of my running and racing half marathons (it's my hobby), I develop problems that require physical therapy. My wife gives me physical therapy for free.

Do we really want the government trying to pressure my wife into not providing physical therapy to her husband (me) in order to make sure that everyone enjoys the same health care?

Some people value certain aspects of health care more than others. For example, some people, if told that they have to wait 8 months for knee surgery, will just say, "Ok. I'll see you in 8 months then." Others might say, "I want my knee surgery as soon as possible."

If that latter type of person is willing to use the money she saved up to go on vacation in order to pay extra so that she can have her knee surgery in two weeks instead of 8 months, I say, why not let her spend her money that way.

We don't have the expectation that people will enjoy the same quantity and quality of food and shelter. Some people don't mind living in a single bedroom apartment if it means more spending money for weekends. Others want to spend their money so that they have a yard, a dog and a garden and are willing to give up the spending money on weekends.

Trying to make everyone equal when we are a diverse group of people interferes with human happiness, in my opinion.

And, if there is someone who is in need of medical care and who can not afford that medical care, people can donate their money, their time and their medical training to help that person. Doctors Without Borders helps people in need in other countries. There are people willing to do this for Americans as well, especially people who were just unlucky, but even people who were a little careless with their spending and their health habits.

I think there are a lot of generous people out there, people willing to help others voluntarily. Not all moral obligations should be deemed a legal requirement.
Last edited by Spiral on Tue May 26, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiral

Postby f1jim » Tue May 26, 2015 2:45 pm

Also, there are going to be times that someone will work harder or longer for something than another person. That gives this individual a choice that someone unwilling to do that doesn't have. Some people are fine with dentures, others insist on implants. The major difference is the cost. Some find that additional cost worth it. Others would not. If we have a system where everyone has the same options and the same costs there will be lot's of unhappy people. Same with prosthetic limbs. There might be a wide range of choices and costs for something like that. I like that there are many choices at many price points.
We don't all drive Yugos. We have Kia drivers and Audi drivers with some feeling the difference is warranted and others not.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby petero » Wed May 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Spiral wrote:pressure my wife into not providing physical therapy to her husband (me) in order to make sure that everyone enjoys the same health care?

Your wife should immediately be forced to give medical care to people who don't want it.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Previous

Return to The Lounge