fiber in various foods

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

fiber in various foods

Postby dteresa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 am

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... nutrition/

Scroll to the bottom for the fiber content of some foods.

I posted this because to me, some of those numbers were very surprising. I thought kidney beans and yams would have a lot more fiber and have more fiber than green beans and brussels sprouts. And the whole grains have a lot less than I would have thought.

didi
dteresa

Re: fiber in various foods

Postby baardmk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:45 am

I'm really surprised at these numbers too, so I checked brussel sprouts and brown rice. Brussel sprouts are actually a little higher and cooked brown rice much higher than the chart in the page you linked.

The chart is probably completely erroneous.

Cooked brown rice (111 kcal)
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cer ... sta/5707/2
baardmk

Postby dteresa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:10 am

baard, you are right. I just checked my brown rice, white kidney beans and trader Joe's pasta and they all have a whole lot more fiber than in the McDougall chart. I wonder why such a large discrepancy? The only thing I can think of is that plants have both soluble and insoluble fiber so perhaps the chart on this site is only one or the other. I am going to ask Jeff.

didi
dteresa

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:03 am

I noticed the chart indicates fiber per 100 calories and that can be deceptive. The volume needed to make 100 calories of Brussels sprouts would be considerable more than for beans.
Jumpstart

Postby dteresa » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:56 pm

another good point. It is common when talking about this way of eating to calculate nutrition as a percent of calories. But if I am eating raw baby spinach leaves at one hundred calories per pound and about thirty eight per cent protein then I would have to eat the whole thing and would be getting about 9 gms protein. And I couldn't eat the whole thing. Frozen then cooked spinach takes me much less time to finish off. I could easily get 9 gms of protein from 1 ounce of boneless skinless chicken breast. If I ate chicken. It is a whole lot less filling that a pound of baby spinach.

I put this on Jeff's board and he answered and added a couple of links.

didi
PS, dr Donald Miller (I think he is a cardiologist) gave a talk on how great coconut oil and a low carb high fat diet is. Someone in the audience asked him where you get fiber on the diet he described. He hesitated a bit and then said---from meat.
dteresa

Return to The Lounge