Adding peanuts to a (high fat)meal benefits vascular health

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Adding peanuts to a (high fat)meal benefits vascular health

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 am

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 112230.htm

Adding peanuts to a meal benefits vascular health
Date:
March 30, 2015
Source:
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
Summary:
A study of peanut consumption showed that including them as a part of a high fat meal improved the post-meal triglyceride response and preserved endothelial function. Vascular dysfunction plays a major role in the development of atherosclerosis and the formation of coronary plaques and lesions that lead to coronary artery disease.

The purpose of this research was to evaluate vascular function after a high fat meal challenge. Fifteen overweight males were randomized to either a peanut meal containing 3 oz. of ground peanuts (as a shake) or a control meal (a shake without peanuts) that were matched for energy and macronutrients.
The lipid profile, glucose and insulin were measured five times after each meal. Flow-mediated dilatation (FMD) was measured to assess vascular function. This non-invasive method required a cuff at the forearm to restrain blood flow, which was then released to assess dilation of the brachial artery. The control meal decreased FMD by 1.2 percent compared to baseline. In contrast, there was no decrease in FMD after the peanut meal. These results demonstrate that the peanut meal maintained normal vascular function whereas the high fat-matched control meal impaired vascular function acutely.
Vascular dysfunction plays a major role in the development of atherosclerosis and the formation of coronary plaques and lesions that lead to coronary artery disease. Typically after a high fat meal, vascular function is reduced, albeit temporarily, until the fat that is in the blood (from the meal) is cleared. Strategies that can blunt this response to both dietary fat and its effect on vascular dysfunction may decrease the risk of coronary disease. Our finding demonstrated that that peanut consumption was shown to be atheroprotective as a part of high fat meal.

So if you are eating a high fat meal, SAD, then nuts are protective it seems to be saying.

soul food
soul food

Re: Adding peanuts to a (high fat)meal benefits vascular hea

Postby Demosthenes » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:51 am

I wish the article had provided a description of the ingredients/macronutrient content of the control shake. I'm curious what constitutes a "high fat" meal.
"Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat 2,000 of something."- Mitch Hedberg
Demosthenes

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:29 am

In other words, the researchers discovered that if you are chowing down on a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake that adding 480 extra calories worth of peanuts (3 ounces) to every fatty meal will improve FMD somewhat. And if you are eating two or three fatty meals per day as most Americans are then adding more than 1400 extra calories per day in peanuts is going to solve the heart disease problem. Wow. Science is great. Totally believable.

didi
dteresa

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 am

Well didi, we could start a charity handing out peanuts to fat people. :lol:

soul food

seriously though, nuts are different or unique and I want to know what nuts are doing to our metabolism etc.
soul food

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Doesn't really apply to people here. Not sure how anybody else can use this info. What a weird study.
vgpedlr

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:20 pm

Well thanks vegpedlr, I think the all nuts are evil, ban them, don't talk about them idea provokes me. Because it seems like blind prejudice. Yeah, I'm exaggerating but the reaction seems exaggerated as well. So thanks for letting me see that.

No I don't work for the nut board, or eat a lot of nuts , or sell nuts, but you may consider me nuts or weird.

soul food
Postby vgpedlr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:01 am

Doesn't really apply to people here. Not sure how anybody else can use this info. What a weird study.
Vegan Mofo 2014:

Always get tape, Frank. Thanks.

thunderheart
soul food

Postby vgpedlr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:26 pm

:?:
vgpedlr

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:34 pm

A plant food is healthy? Shocking. LOL. Good to see though.
Drew_ab

Postby bbq » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:44 pm

They weren't even nuts to begin with since we're talking about legumes instead:

http://www.peanut-institute.org/peanut-facts/
Peanuts, along with beans and peas, belong to the single plant family, Leguminosae.

We can't fight fire with fire (chestnuts are still nuts but the calories from fat are low) and nuts won't do us a favor here. Isn't it more about legumes to the rescue?
bbq

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:02 pm

The study was supported by The Peanut Institute.
http://www.newswise.com/articles/adding ... lar-health
I would believe the peanut study if it was paid for by the Snoopy Institute.
colonyofcells

Postby hazelrah » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:17 pm

colonyofcells wrote:The study was supported by The Peanut Institute.

Maybe I'm just gullible, but I tended to trust Linus more. Maybe it's the blanket.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:26 pm

colonyofcells wrote:The study was supported by The Peanut Institute.

colonyofcells, good work!

Love your line about the Snoopy Institute! I'll have to re-use that one. :)

Sometimes life really is stranger than fiction -- who the heck studies already-unhealthy diets, searching for new ways to mitigate a crappy diet by a few percent? (The peanut institute does, apparently.)

I'll bet the Elmer's Glue institute will replicate the study using their product, showing that common elementary school paste *also* will improve your numbers, if added to an otherwise-unhealthy meal consisting of nothing but Cheetos and Crisco. Oy vey!
roundcoconut

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 pm

The problem isn't with nuts or even a fatty legume, but adding them to a bad, if not dangerous, diet and speculating that those extra calories would somehow render it healthful. Except for those with artery problems for which wfpb no fat is your best bet, at least according to Esselstyn, nuts or peanuts in amounts that wouldn't cause unwanted weight gain are an acceptable whole food.

didi
dteresa

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 pm

dteresa wrote:In other words, the researchers discovered that if you are chowing down on a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake that adding 480 extra calories worth of peanuts (3 ounces) to every fatty meal will improve FMD somewhat. And if you are eating two or three fatty meals per day as most Americans are then adding more than 1400 extra calories per day in peanuts is going to solve the heart disease problem. Wow. Science is great. Totally believable.

didi

That's not how I read it. It's not about adding additional fat to an already fatty meal. The meals were matched for calories and macronutrients. One fatty meal contained peanuts. The other didn't, but it had the same amount of fat.

"Peanuts are nutrient dense and energy dense, so Liu noted the importance of being aware of their calorie content when incorporating them in the diet. Thus, peanuts must replace other food sources of calories when included in the diet. For example, peanuts can be substituted for high fat, nutrient-poor foods in the diet that contain solid fats."

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... e&dbid=101
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:33 pm

I just can't see things in this simple black and white kind of way. One study I read on bipolar people was that they had no middle ground just black and white in their descriptions. No fifty shades of grey or purple :lol: From herbal medicine I know that the description of the qualities of plants is huge, not in the simple category of it's a fat, a protein, a carb etc. And from science we know that these plants have many chemical properties and a huge array of complicated chemical interactions. So a nut or legume is not just a fat or protein to me.
The more I read and study up on this stuff the more complicated and complex it gets.

soul food

edit add, storing my nutty facts
from healthy librarian's facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... ry_index=0

The "instant summary" on the latest study (thanks T.A.)
1. Vitamin E is necessary to transport the brain-essential fatty acid omega-3 DHA across the blood-brain barrier.
2. With sufficient Vitamin E, the concentration of DHA is 70% higher in the brain than with a deficient Vitamin E (see second figure C below).
3. "Human brains are very enriched in DHA but they can't make it, they get it from the liver," explains Dr. Traber. "The particular molecules that help carry it there are these lyso PLs, and the amount of those compounds is being greatly reduced when vitamin E intake is insufficient. This sets the stage for cellular membrane damage and neuronal death."
4. The best sources of the vitamin E are nuts and seeds such as sunflower seeds, almonds and hazelnuts. Although green leafy vegetables such as spinach and Swiss chard contain vitamin E, you have to consume about 2.5 cups of COOKED greens (that takes a lot of raw greens) to be equivalent to the amount of vitamin E in an ounce of almonds or sunflower seeds.
soul food

Return to The Lounge