is rice milk allowed on wfpb?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

is rice milk allowed on wfpb?

Postby jlavery » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:53 pm

Just a short question if rice milk is allowed. Checking the ingredients on a rice milk box at Costco it uses oil in the process, good or bad? Thanks John in Bend, OR.
jlavery

Re: is rice milk allowed on wfpb?

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:11 pm

Most rice milks have added oil and oil is not allowed. Most vegan rice milks also have carrageenan which is being phased out. Better to avoid refined food like vegan milks which tend to be high in fat.
colonyofcells

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:37 pm

Rice milk that *doesn't* contain oil is allowed. The milk substitute page of the Approved Foods list shows a few brands that *are* acceptable, but I've never seen any of those in any local stores, even the HFS.

Mary McDougall shares a recipe for homemade rice milk in one of the early books/videos that uses one part cooked rice (white is fine) to 3 parts water, and if you want it a bit sweeter, toss in a teaspoon or so of sugar and a bit of (alcohol-free) vanilla. Blend it all up in a normal, everyday blender (No Vitamix needed), strain, and you now have enough rice milk for adding to tea, cereal or a recipe.
VeggieSue

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:09 pm

Can probably make whole grain rice milk from sprouted brown rice flour or brown rice flour. Whole grain brown rice flour will have lots of fiber if the nutrition label is checked. Can also make steamed rice cakes out of brown rice flour (can also be soaked overnight to ferment a little).
colonyofcells

Postby ronald11103 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:39 am

Rice milk is very easy (and cheap!) to make. I make it in my Vitamix though I would think any quality high power blender would work. 3 - 4 cups water, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup cooked brown rice. Blend until smooth, strain (I used a gallon sized paint strainer I got from Home Depot but cheesecloth also works) and store in a jar or bottle. I use in on my daily morning oatmeal. Believe it or not, it comes out white, like any other milk. It's thinner than store-bought as it doesn't have the thickening chemicals (carrageenan, etc.)
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:29 pm

Can also try amazake (japanese sweet fermented rice shake) :
http://www.grainaissance.com/amazake-oh-so-original
colonyofcells

Postby calvin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:34 pm

ronald11103 wrote:Rice milk is very easy (and cheap!) to make. I make it in my Vitamix though I would think any quality high power blender would work. 3 - 4 cups water, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 cup cooked brown rice.
Hi ronald. Would you miss the vanilla if omitted? Nothing against vanilla here...just curious. I think I would not notice a mere 1 tsp.

ronald11103 wrote:Blend until smooth, strain (I used a gallon sized paint strainer I got from Home Depot but cheesecloth also works) and store in a jar or bottle.
Do you use the solids from straining in soup or gravy? I would.

ronald11103 wrote:I use in on my daily morning oatmeal.
Sounds good. I'm bored with water on my porridge and the store bought "milks" are way high in fat and in price.

ronald11103 wrote:It's thinner than store-bought as it doesn't have the thickening chemicals (carrageenan, etc.)
I wonder if adding ground flax when cooking the rice would thicken it up...assuming it survived the strainer?

Guess I'll have to try it. 8)
calvin

Postby ronald11103 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:14 am

Calving, sorry I missed your post earlier.

To be honest, I don't think I would miss the vanilla since I use the milk only on my morning oatmeal (with a "little" brown sugar) and don't drink it straight. I'll give it a try. Also I don't use the left over solids as there aren't many (I pulverize it pretty good in my Vitamix) plus I never thought about it. No reason you couldn't though. As for thickening, I don't know if adding flax seed would make much of a difference. You may need to add some sort of thickening agent. Commercial plant milks use carageenan, which some claim is carcinogenic.
Ron in Oregon
ronald11103

Return to The Lounge