Does Mamography Reduce Mortality From Breast Cancer.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Does Mamography Reduce Mortality From Breast Cancer.

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:20 pm

I bet this study reported in the British Medical Journal will get some play by H.Gilbert Welch at the next ASW.
This is a 25 year followup of the Canadian National Breast Screening Study: randomized screening trial.
We use mammography to save lives by screening for early detection. This large study, over 25 years in length might be the best of it's kind at determining if it saves lives. This study is for women 40-59. One might argue a different result for a different target group.
The answer.......No.

http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g366 ... 0Campaigns

f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Does Mamography Reduce Mortality From Breast Cancer.

Postby healthyvegan » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:06 pm

People just tune out those studies. If anything mammography will increase & they will talk about how the "new" mammography is so much better & can detect even more & prevent false detection, etc.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

I almost never see the negative side of screenings discussed. Almost always it's some talking head from one of the organizations heavily promoting screening through fundraisers giving the usual rah rah speech. The studies like this one rarely make it to mainstream media.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby nayasmom » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:19 pm

The study doesn't specify, so I have to assume that mortality from breast cancer in either group was from metastatic disease with the breast cancer as the primary. Or were there breast cancer patients who opted to not treat their primary cancer?
I've argued this before, but instead of blaming mammograms, why not focus on the treatments for breast cancer as being ineffective? (Or, perhaps, lethal) I would be interested in studies that compare those who chose no treatment, with those who chose surgery only, with those who chose lumpectomy with chemo and/or radiation, with those who chose unilateral mastectomy without/with lymph node removal and with chemo and/or radiation, with those who chose bilateral mastectomy without/with lymph node removal and with chemo and/or radiation.

It's dysfunctional to blame mammograms for the lack of decrease in cancer mortality, since mammograms are simply a screening tool and nothing more. Instead of claiming that mammograms are worthless, let's start with the premise that cancer treatments are worthless and go from there.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby f1jim » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Actually breast cancer mortality has actually increased significantly. It's one of the reasons there is little difference in the mortality in both groups. Mammograms are NOT early detection so the success with treatment is the reason both are similar. It's not super great but it's better than many other cancers. We will probably never see double blind studies using zero invasive treatments because they would be considered "unethical." There are many that do not accept radiation, chemo, or surgery when diagnosed but we have little data on them.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Jumpstart » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:36 am

"It's dysfunctional to blame mammograms for the lack of decrease in cancer mortality, since mammograms are simply a screening tool and nothing more. Instead of claiming that mammograms are worthless, let's start with the premise that cancer treatments are worthless and go from there.
Robyn"

Robyn,
I'm with you on this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jumpstart

Postby Annitenth » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:11 am

I figure if I'm going to die from the lump detected in a mammogram, it's because my cancer already spread four years ago. If it hasn't spread already, chances are high it won't, and I can wait until *I* feel it to have the lump removed. I'll never have another mammagram. But I have problems arguing with my doctor every year about this issue.
Anne
70 lb. from goal
Annitenth

Postby Melinda » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

From what I've read, part of the problem with mammograms is that they don't identify which lump will be aggressive and which will just sit there and possibly regress. I haven't had a mammogram for about 5 years now - I received a reminder in the mail which has been sitting on our kitchen counter - I decided to a self exam, which I was satisfied with, and after reading this research, I will stick to no mammograms. I'm slim and drink very little alcohol, which are 2 of the behaviours that you can do to lower your risk. My massage therapist who works with a lot of breast cancer patients, and is trained in lymphatic drainage, says that most of her breast cancer patients are heavy. I know there are no guarantees - all we can do is what we consider our best risk reducing behaviours.
Melinda

Postby nayasmom » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:10 pm

f1jim wrote:Actually breast cancer mortality has actually increased significantly. It's one of the reasons there is little difference in the mortality in both groups. Mammograms are NOT early detection so the success with treatment is the reason both are similar. It's not super great but it's better than many other cancers. We will probably never see double blind studies using zero invasive treatments because they would be considered "unethical." There are many that do not accept radiation, chemo, or surgery when diagnosed but we have little data on them.
f1jim

Mammograms are an early-detection tool. I believe you are incorrect, and that the treatments are what's faulty. There are some details that are lacking in the study referenced in the article. For instance, what was the mean rate of survival post diagnosis when the patients who eventually succumbed, did so? I had an aunt who developed metastatic breast cancer some 15 years after her bilateral mastectomy, and she lived another ten years before she finally decided it was time to rest. I had another aunt who had a recurrence of breast cancer within about ten years of the original breast cancer and she too died as a result of the recurrence. My adopted mom is now a 9 year survivor. My mom's was an interval breast cancer - it developed after her annual mammogram and before her next annual mammogram.
Given these wild margins of diagnoses, I can't logically see placing any fault with mammograms. The reality is that the treatment can be lethal, and no mammogram has ever been proven to have caused a patient to die.
I have no great risk factors, but I will get a mammogram every other year because I live in an area with wildfires in the summer and wood-burning for heat in winter, and wood smoke is highly carcinogenic. I'm not particularly worried that I'll develop breast cancer because, hey, let's be honest, the last cold I had was in 2011, so I'm not the poster child for contracting the disease du juor. I practice self exam, too.

Now, as long as the majority of people of this world eat crap, there will be the necessary evil of these various screening exams. It's one thing for someone who enjoys optimal health through the McDougall diet to aver that she'll never have another mammogram, but it's foolish to tell someone who eats animal products that she's good to go if she never has another mammogram.
Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby f1jim » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:23 pm

I believe the statistics show that survival rates are much higher for those with access to chemo, radiation, etc.
If those treatments were ineffective we would see little difference in the survival rates with those living in places without those treatments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_survival_rates

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... ics#Trends

I am NOT saying these are fine treatments. They are terrible. But they have impacted breast cancer survival. I don't believe screening has.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby nayasmom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:55 am

f1jim wrote:I believe the statistics show that survival rates are much higher for those with access to chemo, radiation, etc.
If those treatments were ineffective we would see little difference in the survival rates with those living in places without those treatments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_survival_rates

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... ics#Trends

I am NOT saying these are fine treatments. They are terrible. But they have impacted breast cancer survival. I don't believe screening has.
f1jim

WHY do you think screening mammography has not made a difference?

We aren't discussing survival rates, though; we are discussing mortality rates. There's a difference. You can show stats on women who choose chemo/radiation vs those who don't, but that has nothing to do with this study.
If mammograms are an early detection tool (and they are, utilized properly), and mortality rates are no different from those who do not get mammograms, then what is the common denominator? It isn't mammograms, but the after-diagnosis activities. That's where you have to start digging for the truth. Why don't treatments work better for women whose breast cancers were detected earlier rather than later? That's the real question.

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby f1jim » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:49 am

Lot's to address. Survival rates ARE higher for those getting chemo/radiation compared to those not getting them.
The problem with mammography is it's NOT early detection. It's too late to stop metastisiziibg.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby bridgetohealth » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:34 am

Just shoot me now for getting involved in this discussion.

If you compare women, who, after a mammography and breast cancer diagnosis choose treatment or don't choose treatment, you are comparing in large part the types of women who choose and don't choose treatment -- it's not necessarily the treatment itself you are comparing. Poor women, for example, are more likely to forego treatment, but also tend to have worse health to begin with. This is the reason to do randomized tests.

Mammography has been tested more than almost any other screening or treatment. They randomly have women get a yearly mammogram or no yearly mammogram. The difference between these two groups of women is ONLY whether they get yearly mammograms. This is the nature of randomized trials, and anyone who doesn't understand that should read up on it in regards to issues that aren't so emotionally charged. Within the mammography group, there are breast cancer diagnoses, and within those there are women who choose and don't choose treatment. But that doesn't matter, because the trials look at whether group A, yearly mammogram receivers, is different from group B, no yearly mammograms. And -- the difference shows that IF there is a significant difference in breast cancer mortality, it is extremely negligible, and is counterbalanced by all-cause mortality -- i.e., the same number of very few women who may be saved from dying from breast cancer die in group A die from something else instead (i.e. unnecessary treatment) in group B. In addition, in group A there is the emotional toll of false positives in the mammography group, plus unnecessary lumpectomies etc.

If you want to look at treatment, which is a totally different question, then you would RANDOMLY place women in the treatment or no treatment groups. Therefore, you would not be comparing women who are the type of person to choose or forego treatment, but instead you are comparing the actual treatment itself. This is obviously highly unethical -- telling people to forego cancer treatment -- and isn't done. So what they do instead is compare different kinds of treatment, or try to make assumptions from the type of data some are suggesting here, but those would only be assumptions, and have absolutely zero to do with the greater question of whether mammography saves lives and has benefits that outweigh the negatives.

An unrelated example: one reason researchers have falsely believed that supplements have a health benefit is because the type of person to choose to take a supplement is different from those who don't. They are richer, more concerned about their health, often eat less junk, etc., etc. If you just say who here takes a supplement? And compare the two groups, you are not just comparing supplements vs. no supplements -- you are comparing supplement choosers vs. non-choosers. And it turns out (with actual randomized trials) that for most supplements, the supplements don't help and often hurt. But that difference is overcome (if you just have people raise their hands) by the fact that supplement choosers are healthier people for reasons having nothing to do with supplements. The suggestion to compare breast cancer treatment choosers vs non-choosers is the same idea.

Again, randomized tests of mammogram vs. no mammogram, are telling us about mammograms, and the treatment has nothing to do with it -- the fact that they are randomized means there are choosers and non-choosers in both groups in the same proportions as they exist in the general population.
bridgetohealth

Postby nayasmom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:52 pm

f1jim wrote:Lot's to address. Survival rates ARE higher for those getting chemo/radiation compared to those not getting them.
The problem with mammography is it's NOT early detection. It's too late to stop metastisiziibg.
f1jim

Show me the stats, please.
Metastatic disease is not synonymous with death.
Mammograms can detect malignancies up to two years earlier before they are palpable in a clinical exam. That spells "early detection" to me. Maybe your argument is that it's not early enough detection, and you'd have a point, in which case I don't know if the technology exists to make detection any earlier than it already is.
Now, it begs the question (to me): If mammograms can detect breast cancers two years earlier than it will be detected on palpation, then why aren't more women overall surviving these cancers than the women who detect their breast cancers two years later on palpation? That, to me, doesn't point to inefficacy of mammography as a screening tool, but inefficacy of what happens post-diagnosis.
Robyn

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby nayasmom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:58 pm

bridgetohealth wrote:Just shoot me now for getting involved in this discussion.

Again, randomized tests of mammogram vs. no mammogram, are telling us about mammograms, and the treatment has nothing to do with it -- the fact that they are randomized means there are choosers and non-choosers in both groups in the same proportions as they exist in the general population.

Actually, the study was about mortality rates from breast cancer being virtually the same between the group of women who had regular screening mammograms and the group of women who didn't. My argument is this: If mammograms can detect a malignancy up to two years before it is palpable in a clinical setting, why aren't more women surviving? Is the study concluding that two years doesn't make a difference in mortality from breast cancer?

Robyn

[/url]
nayasmom

Next

Return to The Lounge