Food Addiction Videos---3 days left to watch!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Food Addiction Videos---3 days left to watch!

Postby sksamboots » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:48 pm

sksamboots

Re: Food Addiction Videos---3 days left to watch!

Postby dteresa » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:58 pm

she seems to take a long time with explanations and lead ins until about twenty five minutes into the video when she suggests using a journal to write down the day before what you will eat the next day. Not useful for me. I never have anything in the house that I would not be able to eat. But there are those who have others in the house who eat unhealthful food so maybe it would be a useful tip for them.

I did not have the patience to continue listening and waiting for the advice. Which apparently will take three videos. I would be interested if anyone wants to summarize the salient points.

Does she promote a wfpb diet or is she telling you how to have will power if you are eating the standard american diet?

I do think this woe might require a bit of will power in some social situations but I think the food I eat is delicious and I look forward to great meal times so normally there is really no will power involved.

didi
dteresa

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 am

dteresa wrote:she seems to take a long time with explanations and lead ins until about twenty five minutes into the video when she suggests using a journal to write down the day before what you will eat the next day.

Didi, like you,I find that whenever people spend a lot of time explaining how they're going to enlighten me (or do pretty much anything else for me—instead of getting on with it) there's not much coming by the end of it.
dailycarbs

Postby dteresa » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:11 am

http://www.businesslookup.org/bright_li ... utions_llc

I believe this woman is the founder of yet another weight loss company. I do not think she is giving anything away for free. I think the link from the OP is a three video long ad.

didi
dteresa

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:49 am

Actually, the videos are well worth watching! She is talking strategy, and her strategies are very, very on the money, in my experience.

I have often felt that Doug Lisle and David Kessler do a wonderful job of explaining the problem of food addictions and how we got here. And yet, they kinda leave you to your own devices in figuring out how to work your way out of the problem. The woman in the video (whom I have never heard of before) really comes at your with solid concepts that mirror my experiences with this way of eating. She is on the money.

I will sum up Video 1 (in which she lays out all her ideas -- they are not hidden behind a pay-first-then-I'll-tell scheme) sometime when I have a few minutes so that others can decide whether there is any usefulness there.

I would encourage people on these boards to watch those videos though, as she is saying valuable things that I'm not hearing elsewhere.
roundcoconut

Postby patty » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:14 pm

roundcoconut wrote:I will sum up Video 1 (in which she lays out all her ideas -- they are not hidden behind a pay-first-then-I'll-tell scheme) sometime when I have a few minutes so that others can decide whether there is any usefulness there.

I would encourage people on these boards to watch those videos though, as she is saying valuable things that I'm not hearing elsewhere.

Mahalo for sharing.. and to the OP. I have just started to listen and will have to continue later today.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby christianvegan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:29 pm

really awesome! Thanks for sharing.
christianvegan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 pm

Well, I think she's looking to build a base to write a book. http://susanpeircethompson.com/2015/01/ ... ne-eating/

Her bright lines are: no sugar/flour, 3 planned meals a day, and measuring food quantities (either through weighing or visualizing a plate). I haven't found anything about what she considers healthy foods, just that sugar and flour are considered unhealthy or addictive. Though in one video she does say lots of vegetables should be on the plate, so I guess those are considered healthy. Anyway, for all I know, dead animal parts and products and oils aren't necessarily excluded or avoided nor is starch the centerpiece. If anyone finds evidence otherwise, point me to it.

I think volume eaters or compulsive eaters might find some of the strategies helpful. I think I agree that willpower is limited but replenishable and that cues and habits/rituals can be changed to support healthy eating.

I refuse to give her access to my email address in order to download her stuff. Sometimes I'm just hateful like that. :-P
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't overlook this woman's message just because she gets paid to help people with their food addictions. Everyone's got to find a way to get paid for their time, and I don't think that's dishonorable.

Summary of ideas in Video 1: (long and comprehensive)

On Will Power:
- With any attempt to change our way of eating, we typically arm ourselves only with a notion of which foods we will be eating and which foods we will be avoiding
- From there, we typically rely on our stores of will power to make it happen. This is a big mistake.
- Will power is easily weakened and depleted by various situations -- having to make decisions is taxing and this depletes will power; stressful situations are taxing and that depletes will power too; trying to respond appropriately in tough interpersonal encounters is also very taxing and depletes your will power. Most emotionally or intellectually taxing tasks leave little mental energy to make good food choices.
- For example, someone who has just spent the afternoon in a tense conflict interaction, or focused intensely on trying to write a proposal, will approach a buffet and be very vulnerable to making iffy choices. They have already taxed their emotional energy and have little left to exercise will power.
- And because these types of situations are happening constantly in life, and cannot be kept in check, we would be foolish to rely on will power to help us eat the right foods and avoid the wrong ones

First Strategy Instead of Will Power: - Bright Lines
- There are a couple systems to make sure that proper food choices happen repeatedly and automatically.
- One is having "Bright Lines" -- clear and unambiguous boundaries about what you will and won't eat. "No oil" is a bright line. "No animal products" is a bright line. When you're emotionally taxed, the brain can't do any clever discernment, and if you don't have big bright lines to follow, it is possible you will choose poorly
- The opposite of bright lines is having fuzzy lines. Fuzzy lines are things like, "Sugar's not the worst thing in the world" and "Baked goods are fine once in a while" and "Maybe I'll think of today as a feast day". Fuzzy lines are the things that help us rationalize making bad decisions.

Second Strategy Instead of Will Power: Planning and Preparation
- If you brought your lunch, then no matter whether you just fought with your husband, you do not have to make a decision about what's for lunch -- you just open the tupperware and eat your chili. Problem solved!
- If you're out and about, and get hungry, you don't have to try to negotiate the prepared-foods section of Whole Foods -- you pull the ziplocked apple out of your purse.
- You circumvent the need to make smart decisions about food, by planning ahead. You make your food choices when you are of sound mind and body, which is to say, before-hand.

Third Strategy Instead of Will Power: Habits and Rituals
- Create habits that are healthy, so that you can go on autopilot
- People who eat the same lunch every day do not have to rely on will power -- they just reach for the bowl of leftover veggies and rice that they have waiting for them.
- People who eat the same two or three breakfasts can probably make their oatmeal-and-blueberries ritual happen, even if they're running a few minutes late. In a pinch, they can make it happen at work, because they know what their ritual is, and don't need to make any decisions about it.

Back-Up Plan, When Will Power is Actually Needed
- If you are confronted with temptation (like everyone gathering at work to celebrate a co-workers birthday over cake), the ways to replenish your will power and enable yourself to make the right decision are:
- Find a person to help you through this. Go text a friend about how there's this stupid cake, and you're just going to claim you find cake too sweet for your tastebuds these days.
- Use prayer or meditation to steady you and offer the willpower you need. She says both are will power strengtheners, and can pull you through in a pinch. Go to the bathroom to pray, which is where everyone goes to pray, right?
- Go find strength in gratitude: you're so happy to have found this way of eating, you are so blessed to have this job, you are so grateful that birthday cake is not a flavor that you would find more tempting.
- Go find ways to be of service -- find people who are sitting alone and introduce yourself; help dish out the cake and pass out plates; go make a pot of coffee and offer it to others who may be abstaining from cake.

That's the summary of Video 1! Now you don't have to watch, unless you really want to.
roundcoconut

Postby patty » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:02 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:Well, I think she's looking to build a base to write a book. http://susanpeircethompson.com/2015/01/ ... ne-eating/

Her bright lines are: no sugar/flour, 3 planned meals a day, and measuring food quantities (either through weighing or visualizing a plate). I haven't found anything about what she considers healthy foods, just that sugar and flour are considered unhealthy or addictive. Though in one video she does say lots of vegetables should be on the plate, so I guess those are considered healthy. Anyway, for all I know, dead animal parts and products and oils aren't necessarily excluded or avoided nor is starch the centerpiece. If anyone finds evidence otherwise, point me to it.

I think volume eaters or compulsive eaters might find some of the strategies helpful. I think I agree that willpower is limited but replenishable and that cues and habits/rituals can be changed to support healthy eating.

I refuse to give her access to my email address in order to download her stuff. Sometimes I'm just hateful like that. :-P

I think you are right. I feel she switched seats on the addiction bus. She has moved from the food seat to the money seat. Two of the books she shares that have helped her were: "'Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength" and "The Best Place to Work". It sounds like she is creating her business based on the common theory genetics is the gun and lifestyle pulls the trigger:)

I was surprised the last thing she shared on the 3rd video.. was someone following Dr. McDougall's program, one day had a black bean brownie, and progressed to eating not only daily but frozen. Of course her bootcamp was this person answer. Interesting I feel she sees Dr. McDougall as .. excuse the expression.. a cash cow:)

Mahalo for sharing the site the links said a lot:) They clearly gave insight how valuable Dr. McDougall's program is. She just has to go deeper:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:19 am

AlwaysAgnes wrote:I refuse to give her access to my email address in order to download her stuff. Sometimes I'm just hateful like that. :-P

There are numerous websites that give you a temporary email for such situations. They are not linked to you in any way and expire after a period of time. Here's a couple.

http://10minutemail.com
http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/#/cuvox.de/kalfic1910/
dailycarbs

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:19 am

dailycarbs wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:I refuse to give her access to my email address in order to download her stuff. Sometimes I'm just hateful like that. :-P

There are numerous websites that give you a temporary email for such situations. They are not linked to you in any way and expire after a period of time. Here's a couple.

http://10minutemail.com
http://www.fakemailgenerator.com/#/cuvox.de/kalfic1910/

I dunno, but that seems equally deceptive. I'm pretty sure I can survive without whatever it is she has that I probably don't need anyway. :lol:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby BlueHeron » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Thanks for posting these. I'm half-way through and am finding them interesting.

I don't understand the criticism of her wanting to earn a living from helping people with weight loss. Dr. McDougall offers his program information for free on this site, but charges for DVDs, advanced study weekends, shirts, books, McDougall adventures, and the 10-day program. Not all of the information he offers is available for free. You get additional information from the DVDs. I don't get the impression that he's living a spartan lifestyle. Nobody criticizes him for that or says he has an addiction to money now. Why say that of this woman?

I give Dr. McDougall my e-mail address even though he sends me advertisements for McDougall adventures and advanced study weekends that I could never afford. To be clear, my point is not to criticize Dr. McDougall but to say that she is not doing anything different from what he's doing. She is offering real information on the free videos - it is not just an advertisement.

People have to make a living. How many of us work for free?
BlueHeron

Postby BlueHeron » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:12 pm

I've watched the three videos now. I just wanted to say something about her reference to Dr. McDougall. She tells the story of a star McDougaller who was helped by her boot camp. She began by saying that as a Star McDougaller, this person already knew about healthy eating, but she doesn't elaborate on what the McDougall plan is. I think it is just as likely that her mention of that will end up driving people who find her first to Dr. McDougall's website. I don't see her mention of Dr. McDougall as using him any more than Dr. McDougall giving space to Drs. Ornish and Esselstynn on his website as his using them. And Dr. Ornish has provided more scientific validation for a very low fat diet than anyone (I say this because of his use of control groups and the fact that he's gotten his results into the top medical journals. Dr. McDougall himself has called Dr. Ornish the most important physican/scientist of the past quarter century).

On her website, she has a list of recommended books. These include The China Study, Whole, and The Pleasure Trap. She also includes Dr. Lustig's book Fat Chance, which makes sense, as she is opposed to using sugar.

I was also very interested in her comparison of sugar and flour to drugs such as heroin and cocaine, which are very processed versions of natural substances.

So though she doesn't say a McDougall diet is the best, she certainly seems like she would support anyone adhering to it. I think that her program could probably help some people with this WOE. The science isn't enough for everybody. Again, thanks for posting.
BlueHeron

Postby elbow » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:26 pm

I found the videos useful. I didn't develop overeating/craving problems until after I ate clean for several years. Then I was so sensitive to the sugars and salt that when i went off plan it was a huge pleasure hit. And I would say I developed food addiction issues--to the flour and sugar, just like they say. So I found the lectures useful and the explanations fit well with my situation.

plantbasedkatie.com is a big fan of hers and held a webinar with her. In that webinar, Susan said she follows a plant-based diet but eats some oil, and nuts. Susan is going to do a boot camp, which I think will be fairly expensive, if I remember correctly, something like $450! Plant-based Katie is going to provide support for the plant-based folks. I'm sure it will be good. I just wish it were half as expensive.

-barb
elbow

Next

Return to The Lounge