What is your WFPB Staple?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What is your WFPB Staple?

Postby eXtremE » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:08 pm

@ JuicerJohn and geaugans, thanks! :)
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby mib » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Haven't seen any mention of corn here. Lately I've been making what we used to call Indian pudding; it's just water and cornmeal (2 c. water to 1/2 c. cornmeal). I eat it with a little maple syrup and enough almond milk to cool it down. My usual is oatmeal, but this is a nice change once in awhile!!
mib

Postby eXtremE » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:17 pm

@ JuicerJohn or anyone if JuicerJohn does not see this post, take a look at this and tell me if I would need anything bigger please for the "1 cup steel cut oats and 4 cups water".

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-330 ... 614&sr=1-6
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby JosephJac » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:47 pm

mib wrote:Haven't seen any mention of corn here. Lately I've been making what we used to call Indian pudding; it's just water and cornmeal (2 c. water to 1/2 c. cornmeal). I eat it with a little maple syrup and enough almond milk to cool it down. My usual is oatmeal, but this is a nice change once in awhile!!

I mentioned corn. I eat both Whole grain polenta, Tortillas or Frozen Corn. usually with beans or sweeter.
JosephJac

Postby JuicerJohn » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:40 am

eXtremE wrote:@ JuicerJohn or anyone if JuicerJohn does not see this post, take a look at this and tell me if I would need anything bigger please for the "1 cup steel cut oats and 4 cups water".

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-330 ... 614&sr=1-6

That looks like it might be big enough, but just barely. If you can manage a bigger one, I would recommend a 4-quart model. That is big enough to do 2 cups of beans, or a 5-pound bag of potatoes, or a pot of soup or stew.

A slow cooker is so versatile, but a small size would really limit its versatility.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby eXtremE » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:52 am

JuicerJohn wrote:That looks like it might be big enough, but just barely. If you can manage a bigger one, I would recommend a 4-quart model. That is big enough to do 2 cups of beans, or a 5-pound bag of potatoes, or a pot of soup or stew.

A slow cooker is so versatile, but a small size would really limit its versatility.
Ok, thanks a lot JuicerJohn. :)
eXtremE

Postby Greens » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:03 pm

One other simple way of making steel cut oats is in a thermos. I do this almost every work day. I have a 16 oz thermos, put a half cup oats, teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, tablespoon raisens or dried cranberries, pour in some boiling water, cap it, shake it. When I get to work 40 min later, it is ready to eat.
Greens

Postby eXtremE » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Wow, ty Greens...all great ideas. :)
eXtremE

Postby lynn.green » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:42 pm

My favourite staple is brown rice. I simply love it. If I eat somewhere out (hasn't happened a loong time) and I eat white, it tastes like a dessert, so sweet.

Sometimes I try to eat potatoes, because folks here say how satiated and full of energy they make them, but I like them only sometimes, with specific ingredients, like a lot o parsley :) or with soy yoghurt in salad with other veggies. But I like my food simple, plus I don't enjoy cooking much, so I am not making potatoes too often. I like to cook my starch, beans and vegetables in salt or sometimes spices, put it all onto plates and eat. The more it is mixed, the more it confuses me :lol: . I like to take a bite of one thing (broccoli), then another (rice), maybe mix it, but not too often :lol:

brown rice is mz favourite, then it varies, I like millet a lot, I even started it eating as a side dish and not only with fruit as a breakfast, then potatoes and oatmeal.

I had a phase, even before mcdougalling, where I ate oatmeal for breakfast every day like 3 years!
Then, I ate polenta for breakfast almost for a year (I was battling fatigue and sugar cravings, and polenta is sweeter than oatmeal)

well, now I am eating brown rice and millet.

I only once tried sweet potatoes (or maybe it was yams). It is not usual crop/food in my country. Omg, I couldn't eat it. It was so horribly disgustingly sweet (I was a sugar addict, but this sweetness was different). I had to throw it out ( I never ever throw out food, but no one would eat it), I was sad, I was really looking forward to trying new starch, but no sweet potaotes for me. Maybe if I added something sour, like lemon.. I don't know..
lynn.green

Postby JosephJac » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:51 pm

I like rice, but i enjoy the texture and taste of other grains more. I find rice too bland. I suppose i was not raised on it. Pasta and potatos are my favorite starchs (reflecting my Heritage i suppose. Lithuanian and Italian).

Corn is a staple that i found i really love, i was not raised on it though. Polenta with Tomato sauce is one of my favorite dishes. Corn mush with fruit such as Apples or berries is amazing. I love the hint of sweetness that is inherent to the grain.
JosephJac

Postby Potatohead » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:30 pm

POTATOES..russets, reds. yukon gold.....they are my go to starch for meals
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby eXtremE » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:20 am

Somehow, I just knew potatoes were your main starch staple Potatohead...LOL! Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Been raining where I am all week...ready for some sunshine!
eXtremE

Postby Trinity » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:43 am

Hey, thanks, PreciousTaters! I definitely need to make more oven fries and hash browns. I'm just so lazy about using the oven (it's tiny, only has one rack, the temperature is in Celsius, and it doesn't tell you when it's preheated -- thank you Korea -- but I could also use my toaster oven, so it's really just the laziness). Hash browns on the stove are delicious though. I need to get back into making those -- the frozen bags of shredded potatoes make it so easy!

I think it's so interesting how (not counting food intolerances, etc.) people have such different tastes. I have literally tried every grain I could get my hands on, including teff (delicious but only when you cook it fresh) and hato mugi (tastes musty), from back in my macrobiotic days. Barley, wheat berries, spelt, amaranth (definitely the grossest grain I have ever tried), buckwheat, rye. And now I basically only buy brown (and sometimes white, as a treat) rice. I would also maybe buy millet these days if I could brave the Korean market. I also really like grits, but they're not whole grain. I tried whole grain cornmeal once but it tasted bitter to me. And every once in a while I try to get into sweet potatoes but I just can't like them. Oh well.
Trinity

Postby Potatohead » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 am

Trinity wrote:Hey, thanks, PreciousTaters! I definitely need to make more oven fries and hash browns. I'm just so lazy about using the oven (it's tiny, only has one rack, the temperature is in Celsius, and it doesn't tell you when it's preheated -- thank you Korea -- but I could also use my toaster oven, so it's really just the laziness). Hash browns on the stove are delicious though. I need to get back into making those -- the frozen bags of shredded potatoes make it so easy!

I think it's so interesting how (not counting food intolerances, etc.) people have such different tastes. I have literally tried every grain I could get my hands on, including teff (delicious but only when you cook it fresh) and hato mugi (tastes musty), from back in my macrobiotic days. Barley, wheat berries, spelt, amaranth (definitely the grossest grain I have ever tried), buckwheat, rye. And now I basically only buy brown (and sometimes white, as a treat) rice. I would also maybe buy millet these days if I could brave the Korean market. I also really like grits, but they're not whole grain. I tried whole grain cornmeal once but it tasted bitter to me. And every once in a while I try to get into sweet potatoes but I just can't like them. Oh well.

Yes, we all have different tastes for sure. for instance, I hate rice period, white, brown,basmati, jasmine..just can't stand them. and its not my cooking, I prepare perfect rice for my hubby, I just don't like it. I am not fond of oats, or any other grains..I just don't care for them. I love potatoes, corn, squashes, most root veggies and most every other veggie..love brussel sprouts..but don't ask me to eat a salad..I won't, and I am not fond of "greens" either..spinach is my favorite go to green...and as far as beans go, I only eat garbanzo's made into hummus, and pinto beans in Jeff's bean burger recipe..that's it...lentils are ok, but because I am the only one who likes them, I do not make them too often.
just give me my taters and a veggie and I am quite content :nod:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Acura » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:21 pm

I wish I could throw veggies in Oatmeal. Has anyone tried this? I don't think it will go very well.
CC
Acura

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge