What is your WFPB Staple?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What is your WFPB Staple?

Postby Katydid » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:26 am

babybuddha wrote:In order of importance/preference:

organic brown basmati rice
sweet potatoes
red rice
oats (gluten free)
fresh corn when in season
winter squashes
millet (flakes)

can't digest: wheat, barley, quinoa, white potatoes, legumes

Took me a month of trial and error to work out my starches b/c of intolerance issues, now I'm flying high and am loving them!

Jennifer

I'm in the same boat - no gluten, no nightshades, no legumes. Never tried millet flakes before. How do you use them? I've tried buckwheat in a number of forms and like it, and recently bought a trail size of sorghum at the HFS to try.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby PreciousTaters » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 am

Trinity wrote:I feel like I would eat more vegetables if I could cook them in a way that made them more chewy or crunchy...anyone have any tips?
Two ways I love to eat my taters when I am wanting them with a bit of crunch.

1. Baked oven fries. As easy as it sounds. Oven @400-425. I give a range because everyone has a different idea of crunch perfection. Cut two large russets (or taters of choice) into 8 wedges each. On parchment lined sheet, lay wedges on their sides and cook for 30 minutes. Take out and flip to other side. Return to oven and cook another 10-20 minutes depending on when you consider them at perfection. Serve as is or with desired condiment. I also dip/shake the wedges in nutritional yeast and spices to add variety. I could eat these every day at every meal. Love my fries! :nod:

2. Hash browns. I cube cold cooked potatoes and place in a cold non-stick fry pan. On my stove, I turn it to halfway heat and cook them 8 minutes before looking at them. At that point, I check to see how the crusts are coming along and adjust accordingly. Sometimes I flip at this point and some taters just need a bit longer. After the first flip, I check again in 3-4 minutes. Flip or wait. Repeat one more time and they are generally where I want them! Experiment for your own taste buds and good luck!

Happy McDougalling!

Edited to add:

Starch = Taters! ;)
PreciousTaters

Postby babybuddha » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am

Katydid wrote:I'm in the same boat - no gluten, no nightshades, no legumes. Never tried millet flakes before. How do you use them? I've tried buckwheat in a number of forms and like it, and recently bought a trail size of sorghum at the HFS to try.

The millet flakes are an alternative to porridge oats for breakfast. They are smaller, lighter and make a thin type of gruel - which may not sound v appetising lol

I dont prepare them much on their own for this reason, But they do 'lighten' what can be the heaviness of oats, so when I order in my grains I order by weight 4:1 millets:oats and blend them accordingly. They cook up much as regular oat flakes.

I tried whole millet, but couldnt get it right- the tiny grains were very 'gloopy' and i got frustrated and abandoned the project lol.

I might give buckwheat a try a little further down the road, when I feel restless for variety, do you recommend any particular form?

And the sorghum, I'm curious about that, it sounds ancient somehow, I hope that works out for you and would be interested to hear about it.

Jennifer
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby LauraA » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:47 am

For me, it's steel cut oatmeal every morning, and jasmine brown rice at lunch or dinner or both! I also love potatoes and beans, but don't eat them quite as often.
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby chickpeas » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:57 am

brown rice - breakfast every day and sometimes lunch as well

potatos, for lunch and dinner every day

"What I say is that, if a fellow really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow." A. A. Milne
chickpeas

Postby pundit999 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Brown and white rice
Oats
Barley
Potatoes
pundit999

Postby eXtremE » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 pm

LauraA wrote:For me, it's steel cut oatmeal every morning, and jasmine brown rice at lunch or dinner or both! I also love potatoes and beans, but don't eat them quite as often.
Do you have to order the steel cut oats? I can't find them locally. This is all I can find here where I live. Not many health food stores....my choices are somewhat limited where I can buy healthy foods locally...Kroger, Walmart ,Food Lion, and Publix. I probably buy most of the the food I eat from Kroger because there is a store that is only a 10 min. drive from where I live. I know Dr. Oz only eats the steel cut oats. I know they take longer to cook but I think I might enjoy them better or even a little variety would be nice. I don't buy the quick cook oatmeal. Here is what I buy from Kroger.

This takes me about 10 minutes to cook. How long does it take to cook the steel cut oats? I may order me some online to tryout.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:59 pm

LynnCS wrote:
eXtremE wrote: I really can't cook. Never learned how and don't want to learn how now. That is why my meals are so simple and do not vary a lot.

My mother use make things with sweet potatoes like candied yams, sweet potato souffles, and a few other things that I can't think of. I have no idea how these things are made but I knew they were delicious but unhealthy for you because of all the butter and sugar in them.

How do you prepare a sweet potato to eat and is it really sweet without adding refined sugar to it? I just eat a lot of the regular potatoes now. I just bake em or boil them and eat them with my canned beans and salad and sometimes brown rice.

I am not very food literate at all.

I used to cook all kinds of "creative" foods, SAD foods for my family. I started to get a sense that it wasn't the best and by the time I was on my own decided to follow a more healthy route. At first it was a little complicated and it took a while to understand how to simplify it. I often just chop up a potato, onion, cabbage or other green vegi, and any kind of other vegis in my fridge or freezer. I prefer the one dish meals.

Now I am learning about JeffNs SNAP meals.
In his forum under the SNAP meals thread. I copied this from another thread so maybe you can go over to his site and pick up on all his discussion of his great, easy, fast, and complete one dish meals. I'm just learning too, but have been putting together similar meals for awhile because I cook on a one burner hot plate. I often have brown rice cooked and stored in the fridge, and potatoes/sweet potatoes ready to go so either I add cooked rice or potatoes to broth with frozen vegies and some canned beans. My faves are from Eden. Healthy, no salt, no pba cans, and cooked in a little kombu, A sea veg which gives some healthy micronutrients. Then all I do is add some cut up or torn up greens at the end and they wilt beautifully into the broth. Yum, yum, yum!....Sometimes I've been lazy and don't have any starch ready. I can cut up 1, or more potatoes, sweet potatoes and fresh vegis too. If I do it that way, I put the burner on low and go do some morning chores. I come back in 15 or 20 min and it's ready. Add what ever flavorings you want. If it's a sweet potato, things like cinnamon or nutmeg works, with regular potatoes, well...you get it.

Jeff's SNAP meals:
viewtopic.php?t=10519

It is basically

28 oz Canned NSA Tomatoes (or fresh)
1 can NSA Beans (or 1.5 cups cooked)
1.5-2.0 cups cooked starch (rice, potatoes, etc)
1 lb frozen veggies
1/4 lb frozen leafy greens
Spice to taste

Two of those makes about 1600 calories and if you add in 2 tsp of flax, you surpass the RDA/DRI for all nutrients except Vitamin B12 and D. Three of them and you are at about 2300 calories.

You can also substitute veggie broth or water for the tomatoes.

In Health
Jeff

I also borrow a page out to "FrozenVeg's" book and use frozen veg's. I haven't done it yet, but I think she talks about using already frozen potatoes. I'm getting ready to try that out soon. Dr. McDougall and others talk about using frozen hash browns. I and others use frozen mixed vegis. I've even seen some frozen vegis with beans, like southwest flavored. Jeff uses canned tomatoes in his SNAP recipes. I haven't tried that yet, but will soon. I add a cut up small tomato sometimes to my one dish meal.

Hope that gives you some encouragement. Make a big pot of whatever you make and save it in the fridge and freezer for the rest of the week if you don't mind leftovers. Enjoy, Lynn
Thanks Lynn. I will visit. I love quick and simple and easy.
Does your whole family eat the way you do now or do you still have to cook them SAD meals?
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby vgpedlr » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Wow, I can't understand how you have no desire to learn how to cook. I have so much fun playing in the kitchen! But I often keep it simple. My go to simple is a few veggies steam fried seasoned with chopped fresh garlic, ginger, jalapeño, soy sauce, over rice.

For sweet potatoes I bake them in the oven, in the microwave, or in a crockpot. I like them seasoned with cinnamon and cloves as an alternative breakfast, or seasoned with chili and lime. I also like to cut them in slices or chunks and steam them.

As for steel cut oats, I haven't tried them yet, but I've got a recipe I've been dying to try that calls for them. I have seen the brand McCann's steel cut Irish oats in regular grocery stores. They take longer to cook, and have a different texture, that some people like and others don't.
vgpedlr

Postby JWinchel » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:00 pm

My breakfasts and lunches are pretty simple. I'm still in the work force and prepare my lunch in a small galley in the office. Breakfast is a bag of Kroger frozen brown and wild rice with carrots and broccoli (the veggies are so tiny you can't tell there's hardly any in there), so I also add 1/2 cup frozen corn and 1 cup frozen spinach.

Lunch is some microwaved potatoes and more veggies or sometimes I go to a salad bar. Dinner is sometimes pasta, or black bean taco's and taco salad or a potato with thick soup or chili on top.
Julie, a metro-Detroit McDougaller
JWinchel

Postby geaugans » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:13 pm

eXtremE: The old-fashioned Quaker oats cook in only 2 1/2 minutes in the microwave. You just need a deep bowl so they don't boil over :) For less than $2.50 for the large cannister I think they are a great deal. The McCanns (sp) Irish cut oats are really, really good and really, really expensive. When I was using them I cooked up a large batch and then re-heated when it was time to eat.
Are we having fun yet?
geaugans

Postby eXtremE » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Ok geaugans, thanks. You are right about the steel cut being expensive. I recall seeing some on Amazon I think awhile back. I would like to try them once. How long do they take to cook? Can you buy them in bulk? I don't have a lot of money to splurge but I would like to make just one purchase of these and try them out. What do you do...just make a large pot and then refrigerate what you don't eat? I imagine you cook a large pot like this b/c these take a lot longer to cook, right? It won't go bad in the fridge will it if you made enough for a week let's say? Talking about oatmeal just made me hungry. I may go right now and make me another small bowl. :-)
eXtremE

Postby Aaron52101 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 am

It's hard to say I have a staple I like to have variety so I usually do something different for each meal.

Generally speaking I do oats, wheat, or a various grain for breakfast. Usually in the form of hot cereal, cold cereal, or pancakes.

Then lunch and dinner might be some form of wheat, corn, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, beans, or a combination of any of those. Sometimes I use a few other things like amaranth, wild rice, squash, etc.

If I had to pick one I use the most it would probably be wheat just due to its versatility.
Aaron52101

Postby geaugans » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:26 pm

ExtremE: Check out this website seems like it has everything anyone would ever want to know about Mccann's :D

http://www.mccanns.ie/preparation.html
Are we having fun yet?
geaugans

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:50 pm

Here is yet another way of preparing steel cut oats.

I put 1 cup oats and 4 cups water into my slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours.

This comes out super creamy and, while the cook time is longer, there is not need to stir.

This is my favorite way to make steel cut oats.
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge