Debunking Michael Greger

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Debunking Michael Greger

Postby CHEF AJ » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 am

Oops, I submitted twice and don't know how to delete, sorry. What about all of those studies cited in the back of The Starch Solution that say that fat is the least satiating macronutrient?
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby geo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:09 am

I never found nuts to be satiating, at least not within any reasonable calorie limit. I could eat a whole 12 oz can of salted nuts and still not be satisfied, only stopping because I couldn't stand all the salt I had eaten with them. Of course that then made we want to get rid of the salt taste by drinking/eating something sweet...vicious circle...and unsalted nuts, blech...way too bland to enjoy.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am

I do think the idea for Dr Fuhrman at least is raw, unsalted nuts and seeds, not roasted/salted ones. High fat content is for sure an addictive hook but adding salt "baits" that hook! I think somehow roasting also adds even more addictive quality, just for me comparing raw w/ roasted almonds or almond butter (no salt just roasted). "Step away from the almond butter!!!"

There are a number of factors that contribute to satiation and which one(s) predominate may vary a bit person to person. So to my mind it seems possible that some might find the addition of a small amount helpful and many others not so much, or even detrimental.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 am

I am just really happy not to have to eat nuts to be healthy.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby yarnpetter » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 am

If I eat roasted, salted nuts I never get satisfied. If found though that if I eat raw nuts (like raw almonds) I never eat over 1 ounce and often am satisfied and stop eating before I've finishe'd my ounce. And yes I always weigh out any nuts I eat. They are just to calorie dense to guess with.
yarnpetter

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:32 am

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
There are a number of factors that contribute to satiation and which one(s) predominate may vary a bit person to person. So to my mind it seems possible that some might find the addition of a small amount helpful and many others not so much, or even detrimental.

The body is a complicated and amazing machine.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/6/946.full.pdf Biomarkers of satiation and satiety

http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8079E/w8079e0m.htm Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby scooterpie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:49 am

Top 10 foods highest in saturated fat: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/artic ... ed-fat.php

"Nuts and seeds" are number 8 between cheese and processed meats. Everything on the list is to be shunned/limited by someone eating a McDougall-type diet. FWIW there's a recipe using tahini (sesame seed butter) in the new book.

(I can't vouch for the above website, take it as you will.)
scooterpie

Postby elbow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:02 pm

patty wrote:I am just really happy not to have to eat nuts to be healthy.

Aloha, patty

That sums it up for me too!

-barb
elbow

Postby elbow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:05 pm

CHEF AJ wrote:In today's video Dr. Greger claims that nuts are more satiating, have you guys found that to be true for you? After eating the recommended amount of nuts for years I find them to be the exact opposite of satiating, I was always hungry when I ate nuts, unless of course I would eat a half a pound, which I wouldn't do, I find beans and lentils and sweet potatoes so much more satisfying and satiating. Dr. Lisle in his lecture "Losing Weigth Without Losing Your Mind" how oil slips under the radar and doesn't activate the calorie, nutrient or stretch receptors, it seems to me a handful of nuts would do the same. They certainly don't fill you up. Everything I've read from Dr. Fuhrman says that seeds are way healthier than nuts, so why aren't we being encouraged to eat more seeds instead? I could actually see how some seeds, like chia seeds could be filling. They swell when dissolved in liquids, like psyllium husk, so they are filling, I add a tablespoon to my overnight muesli. Not because of their magical properties, but from a culinary one, they absorb the liquids and create a pudding.

nuts are not satiating for me. a potato is way more satiating for me.

-barb
elbow

Postby LoriLynn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm

yarnpetter wrote:If I eat roasted, salted nuts I never get satisfied. If found though that if I eat raw nuts (like raw almonds) I never eat over 1 ounce and often am satisfied and stop eating before I've finishe'd my ounce. And yes I always weigh out any nuts I eat. They are just to calorie dense to guess with.

I find this to be my experience as well. However, I try to avoid nuts while I am still working at losing weight. If I find that I can add in an occasional ounce here or there without gaining after I reach goal weight, then I will likely do so.
LoriLynn

Postby EllenR » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:23 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:

The body is a complicated and amazing machine.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/6/946.full.pdf Biomarkers of satiation and satiety

http://www.fao.org/docrep/W8079E/w8079e0m.htm Carbohydrate Food Intake and Energy Balance

Posting links to outdated studies offers no help.

Same problem with Dr Greger.

No context.

Those are both old documents.

They are outdated and have been updated.

Here is the new one.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/publicatio ... index.html

The is the chapter on satiety.

Sounds just like Calorie Density

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v61/ ... 2938a.html

Ellen
EllenR

Postby scooterpie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:40 pm

This is from the previous page of the thread from the AJCN article link provided by AlwaysAgnes. Perhaps enhanced satiety comes from thoroughly masticating your nuts. Take. Your. Time!

Fecal fat loss because of incomplete mastication of nuts or other factors may result in a loss of available energy. Earlier work has shown that whole nuts are inefficiently absorbed (40). Subjects fed whole peanuts excreted 17% of dietary fat in the stool; only 4–7% of dietary fat was excreted when the rats were fed peanut butter (40). On a well-controlled feeding trial with pecans (19), there was increased excretion of fat in the stools of subjects while on the nut diet (25 g/d) compared with the control diet (6 g/d). This represented 8% and 3%, respectively, of the dietary fat of the pecan and control diets (41). Increased stool fat was also noted on a high almond diet (42), but the increment of percent fat in stools (4%) was less than on the pecan (41) and peanut (40) diets. Nevertheless, the losses of fat in stools of nut eaters combined with the observed food displacement would largely explain the lack of weight gain.
scooterpie

Postby MichaelGregerMD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Just wanted to let everyone know I corrected and updated my video in response to Jeff's article: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-an ... -evidence/

Please never hesitate any of you to email me at [email protected] or call my cell (240-252-8078) anytime for anything--especially if you think I got something wrong so I can correct it!

Michael Greger, M.D. FACLM
DrGreger.org
NutritionFacts.org
twitter.com/nutrition_facts
facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
subscribe at bit.ly/nutritionupdates
MichaelGregerMD

Postby patty » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Mahalo Dr. Greger

I have to say in my 69 years this is the first time I have witnessed a doctor correcting his work vs. turning a blind eye. Our wings are beginning to take shape.

Aloha, from a humble caterpillar:) patty
patty

Postby Melinda » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Thank you Dr. Greger - I am grateful for all of the doctors promoting a plant based diet.
Melinda

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge