Hypothyroidism

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hypothyroidism

Postby peasouper » Mon May 07, 2012 4:32 am

Well I went to the doctor and had a fasting cholesterol test which came out like this:
Total Cholesterol 154 (4)
HDL 50 (1.3)
LDL 85 (2.2)
Triglycerides 104 (1.18)

So far not so bad.

He also tested for a few other things, my white blood cell count was a little lower than it should be at 3.7 (4.0 – 10). After I did a search on the site I discovered that this number is not unusual for someone eating this way because we have less inflammation than standard western diet eaters. This is some information I will give my doctor as he has ordered another blood test querying neutropenia.

Now to the more disturbing part, he tested my thyroid function:
Free T4 = 4.0, it should be 7.5 – 21.1
TSH = 65.90, it should be 0.34 – 5.6

I must admit I just looked at him and said ‘is that a mistake, should’nt I be having symptoms of hypothyroidism?’

He asked me if I was tired – No
Was I constipated – No (are you joking?)
Was my hair dry and thin – No
Have I put weight on – No (BMI 19.4 I am the thinnest person I know my age)
Am I cold – No
Muscle weakness - No

I had another blood test the next day and am going back to the doctors tomorrow for the results, in the mean time he was very concerned and gave me Levothyroxine 50 micrograms to take one a day in the morning, which I am doing.

Now in 2006, I had been to the Doctor complaining of tiredness, she did a blood test for thyroid function and said it was OK (wish I had asked for a copy of the results). In 2008/9, I went again complaining of tiredness, was given a blood test and was told the same thing. At this point I could only do one big thing a day, so for example if I went swimming I avoided doing a big grocery shop on the same day. I was tired and constipated.

Then in September 2010 I found Dr McDougall and changed my life. I was no longer tired and constipated and my BMI went down from 20.9 to 19.4. After a few months I could swim and shop in the morning and mow the lawns in the afternoon.

After seeing my GP, I went home and read what Dr McDougall has to say about thyroid Deficiency in the December 2005 magazine. The only thing I can relate to slower mental processing, I am addicted to mind bending level killer sudokus, during the last year I have found them harder, I thought I was just getting older!

I am on day 5 of the Levothyroxine and feel fine. I look forward to getting the blood test results tomorrow, I feel a bit shocked by the whole thing and think perhaps this low thyroid function has been bubbling in the back ground for many years, but all credit to this way of eating! Just shows you what the right diet can do, no symptoms! Of course it all may have been a mix up in which case, Hurray, no tablets! :lol:

I would appreciate input from anyone with experience of hypothyroidism, you all have such I wealth of knowledge and I value your concern.

Sue X
peasouper

Re: Hypothyroidism

Postby didi » Mon May 07, 2012 12:16 pm

Are you sure TSH was over 65? It is hard to believe it could be that high without any symptoms. Did someone misplace a decimal point?

Didi
didi

Postby Debbie » Mon May 07, 2012 4:06 pm

didi wrote:Are you sure TSH was over 65? It is hard to believe it could be that high without any symptoms. Did someone misplace a decimal point?

Didi

That's what I'm thinking! I find it really hard that you would have a TSH of 65 and feel nothing. A TSH of that high would not only bring about the symptoms you described but tingling in your hands feet and legs, muscle cramps and really no matter what diet, you'd be exhausted.

Not that it matters too much, but you got the second draw BEFORE you started the meds, right?

In any event, I hope the first test was wrong. Taking daily meds suck!!
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby peasouper » Tue May 08, 2012 2:29 am

Yes the second draw was before I started the meds. I hope the decimal point was in the wrong place! I am going to see the GP in an hour so I will post the results.

My sister has hypothyroidism and before she was diagnosed with TSH of 30 she was dragging herself round, worn out, muscle pains, shakey, and irritable in the extreme and mine is supposedly double that!

My GP said autoimune diseases can run in the family. My sister has now just been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, her son has Type I Diabetes and my brother has MS. I am very reluctant to be added to the list!

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby peasouper » Tue May 08, 2012 6:32 am

Well I saw my doctor and my T4 =4.3 and TSH = 55 so I officially have hypothyroidism.

Sue
peasouper

Postby Debbie » Tue May 08, 2012 8:16 am

Wow!!! I'm shocked! Wonder how someone can have no symptoms with it so high?

Is that T4 reading low, I can't remember. Something's seems off.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby peasouper » Tue May 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Yes the T4 reading is low it should be 7.5 - 21.1. I don't feel so bad now, got over the first shock. The doctor is waiting for the antibodies test to come back from the hospital but is pretty sure it is an auto-immune response. So I keep taking the tablets 1 X 50 micrograms each morning and go back in 4 weeks for a blood test to see what the position is then.

He says it might have come on very recently so I might not have had time to have symptoms yet, so if that is the case I am grateful it was picked up fast.

I am taking the medication recommended by Dr McD, as he says in his article it's a 'modern medical miracle'!

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby lvixie » Tue May 08, 2012 10:23 pm

I had a TSH reading of over 150, with no noticeable symptoms. My doctor got all excited and really hiked my levothyroxine dose.

Looking back at it now, I should have asked to have the test redone -- it may have been in error.

I've been on a huge TSH roller-coaster: from 0.010 [tested many times in that range] to over 150 (apparently that's the highest it registers). I've never felt any different at any level, so apparently symptoms are not always tied to TSH level.

I have Hashimoto's.
lvixie

Postby peasouper » Wed May 09, 2012 4:10 am

Yes I think mine is Hashimoto's too. Thats the auto-immune response one. Just waiting for the test to come back from the hospital. I will find out at my next doctors appointment which 4 weeks away. Interesting that neither of us had symptoms. I am taking the tablets and feel fine physically. If I dwell on it a feel a little upset, but you know, I'll get used to the idea.

After all lots of people are in the same boat. :)

Best wishes Sue
peasouper

Postby peasouper » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 am

Well I had the second test and my TSH is now within normal limits so no need to increase the Levothyroxine, I shall just continue on the 50 micrograms a day. Still nothing back from the antibodies test to confirm it is autoimmune though.

Shall be ringing up on Monday.

Sue
peasouper

Postby cahodges » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:06 pm

I was diagnosed 3 years ago with Hashimoto's and the only symptom I had was a patch of brittle hair. When I thought back I realized that I have probably had it for over a decade but the tests results had varied over the years.
One hop at a time!
cahodges

Postby peasouper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:37 am

Hi there

Just an update to be more precise.

My hypothyroidism is not autoimmune as my antibodies test came back normal, less than 10.

So that is good as far as I am concerned. :-D

Sue
peasouper

Postby goldilocks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:58 am

Hi Sue,

It will be very interesting to see if you feel better taking the supplemental thyroid hormone. I do think that of any medication, it's probably one of the best ones to be on. You're just replacing a hormone that your body would normally be making, not taking some toxic substance that your liver must deal with.

When my T3/T4 (forget which one) was at the bottom of the normal range, I felt hypothyroid. That's amazing that you felt so good when your numbers were so far from normal!

And yes, at least it's not autoimmune. Mine was - I had Graves' and then Hashimoto's. But I healed myself by going gluten-free. That was how I discovered that I have celiac disease.
goldilocks

Postby peasouper » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 am

Hi Goldilocks

I am taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine a day and feel just fine.

Are you taking medication for your hypothyroidism? You say you cured yourself?

I have stopped eating anything made from wheat at home and only occasionally have it when I am out. I feel much better for it.

Sue
peasouper

Postby goldilocks » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 am

I'm not currently taking any medication. I had Graves' and then Hashimoto's about 8 to 10 years ago (have to check old journals to be more precise). I went gluten-free, and the Graves' resolved within two weeks (I'd had it for about a year at that point). Then the suppressing antibodies became dominant, and I became slightly hypothyroid. I took a very small amount of supplemental thyroid hormone for about 6 months. At that point I started feeling kind of hyper again so I weaned myself off and stopped taking the replacement hormone. I should have had my blood drawn to confirm, but I could just tell and I was expecting to heal fully. And I did!

I get blood drawn about once a year and always check my thyroid markers, and they've always been normal ever since. Last summer I also checked the antibody levels and they were undetectable. So I really feel like I healed completely from my autoimmune thyroid disease - yay!

But I have to be super-careful with gluten. I had dermatitis herpetiformus from a very young age, which cleared up when I went gluten-free. But then one time I accidentally ate a small amount of gluten, and the skin condition came back for 6 weeks! Thankfully, my thyroid disease did not start back up. I also have very low bone density - a common result from eating gluten when you have celiac disease. I so wish I had discovered it earlier, so my body could have healed and absorbed minerals better from a younger age. Sigh. But my bones are getting denser even at this age (currently 50), so my body is doing what it can now that I can absorb minerals from my diet properly. Love those collard greens, lol!

I know yours isn't autoimmune, so you have a different situation to deal with. I wonder what is causing yours? Do you feel better now that you are taking the levothyroxine, or just pretty much the same? I felt quite a difference when I was hyper vs hypo vs normal.
goldilocks

Next

Return to The Lounge