Reese's Cup's Anonymous!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reese's Cup's Anonymous!

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:23 pm

:crybaby: My parents brought me Reeses peanutbutter cups and I havent had them in forever. TBH I dont really want them nor even had the desire at all. However, now its infront of me. When he handed it to me as a gift/treat I paused. I was like "i dont want this..." in my mind.

My Dad said "You gotta give yourself a break." Having seen me pause he said that.

Reeses were my favorite candy/ is my favorite candy. I mean this time of the year every year is the time that i would be getting my candy being in Halloween month and all. Even through the year, before, i would get Reeses.

Like... i want them but i dont want them. Do I eat them? Even if I do i still will continue the diet so i dont see a downside. lol

What are the negative ramifications of eating the Reeses peanut butter cups?
BenFTW

Re: Reese's Cup's Anonymous!

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:34 pm

Are we talking, like, a whole bag of them? or just a couple? The mini-size, or regular size? Whatever, here's what I think, YMMV. If you eat them you will:
1) Wake up your "feast beast" who will crave more and give you no peace.
2) Put back into your system all the bad stuff that you have worked so hard to clean out.
3) Stall/reverse any weight loss that you have accomplished so far.
4) Give yourself a good excuse to go completely off the rails (I already ate the candy, what harm will a bowl of ice cream do?).
5) Depending on how long and how diligently you have followed the McDougall plan, give yourself a bad case of indigestion from one end to the other.

So, possibly, not worth it.

Another question is, if your Dad knows how you are eating, what the heck is he doing handing you chocolate? Does he want you to stay fat and unhealthy, or what? Can you help him find a better way to love you? Like taking a walk together?
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Do yourself a favor and throw them out or donate them.

I use to get all kinds of chocolate gifts from an Aunt who worked at one of the major chocolate candy makers and I just gave them away... She knew we wouldn't eat them anyways, so the gifts weren't sentimental or anything.

People, especially family need to understand that we are not depriving ourselves. We choose to eat in a way which is positive and health promoting. Even one "slip up" can set you back a long way. I don't think that's what you want - over a piece of junk food.

Be strong. Good luck!
HealthyMe2010

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Gweithgar wrote:Are we talking, like, a whole bag of them? or just a couple? The mini-size, or regular size? Whatever, here's what I think, YMMV. If you eat them you will:
1) Wake up your "feast beast" who will crave more and give you no peace.
2) Put back into your system all the bad stuff that you have worked so hard to clean out.
3) Stall/reverse any weight loss that you have accomplished so far.
4) Give yourself a good excuse to go completely off the rails (I already ate the candy, what harm will a bowl of ice cream do?).
5) Depending on how long and how diligently you have followed the McDougall plan, give yourself a bad case of indigestion from one end to the other.

So, possibly, not worth it.

Another question is, if your Dad knows how you are eating, what the heck is he doing handing you chocolate? Does he want you to stay fat and unhealthy, or what? Can you help him find a better way to love you? Like taking a walk together?

The greedy little guy popped on my shoulder and said ,"Eat the chocolate." :lol: Those are all valid points. The reason he did it was because he himself hasnt completly gotten off chocolate. Both my parents, the only thing in their diet that is animal product is the milk chocolate. (maybe an addiction? lol)

Hm... my parents always talk about moderation. And that moderation is key. Maybe that is why they got it. (theres no question of the love they have for me. :P )

How detrimental is the idea of moderation?

PS: This is already getting my mind off the chocolate. Well, the urge to go open it.
BenFTW

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 pm

HealthyMe2010 wrote:Do yourself a favor and throw them out or donate them.

I use to get all kinds of chocolate gifts from an Aunt who worked at one of the major chocolate candy makers and I just gave them away... She knew we wouldn't eat them anyways, so the gifts weren't sentimental or anything.

People, especially family need to understand that we are not depriving ourselves. We choose to eat in a way which is positive and health promoting. Even one "slip up" can set you back a long way. I don't think that's what you want - over a piece of junk food.

Be strong. Good luck!

I know, this way of eating is actually abundant in reality. No deprevation, on the contrary. lol Thank you for giving me some stuff to think about.
BenFTW

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 pm

Here's a few thoughts on "Moderation"
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/in ... ation.html
and: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... ration.htm
For most of us, moderation is the gateway to being immoderate. It is too easy to slip from "just a little bit" to "just a little bit more" to not giving a darn anymore and eating the whole thing. Great changes are never accomplished by being moderate.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Archie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Have your parents ever set a positive example for you? By not eating the Reese's maybe a way for you to return the favor and set the example of what not to eat for them.
Just a thought.
Archie

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:01 pm

Gweithgar wrote:Here's a few thoughts on "Moderation"
http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/in ... ation.html
and: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... ration.htm
For most of us, moderation is the gateway to being immoderate. It is too easy to slip from "just a little bit" to "just a little bit more" to not giving a darn anymore and eating the whole thing. Great changes are never accomplished by being moderate.

Nice reading, thank you. "Don’t let the myth of moderation lead you astray. Excellent health is never found in moderate effort, but rather in excellent dietary habits that are consistently and diligently applied to each new day and situation over time. " I thought that was a very good quote.

Archie, that is also a good point. Thanks for sharing.
BenFTW

Postby Chumly » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I like Douglas Graham's definition of moderation (I'm paraphrasing): The things that are good for you, are only good for you in moderation, the things that are bad for you, are bad for you regardless of the amount.
While I don't always agree with what he considers good and bad, that definition is the only one that makes sense to me. Often small slips turn into larger ones, which just happened to me yesterday. I would throw them out or give it away, but that's me.

Michael
Chumly

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:27 pm

Well, a positive thing came out of this thread. Well a few considering i learned some things on moderation but also I talked with my Father and told him how I felt about the chocolates. I said "Why would you purchase chocolates for me when im cultivating health for myself?" My Mother then said, "Okay, from now on we won't buy him the chocolates or soy sausages." (directed at my Father)

I told them, the whole idea of eating this way and what Forks Over Knives stood for was to eat whole foods, not processed foods. So... no more food pushing!!! :lol:

My Mother said she could give up chocolate but my Father was more on the reluctant side. (Mind you this conversation was happening while he ate chocolates. lol) More than his fair share too considering my mother said "Thats enough!" Haha.

Thanks everyone.
BenFTW

Postby StarchBeet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I made my own peanut butter cups...from fresh peanuts and dates. I still have about 8 of the frozen centers in the freezer.

The outside is made of cocao powder, dates softened in almond milk, and some peanuts and the center is made from dates and peanuts put in molds and frozen. My sugar monster went away for a while. Yes I wish I didn't let him go mucking about the place too much, but I know I have not added oils and they are fresh and tasty. Sorry if it offends anyone but an occasional treat works better for me than obsessing on what I can't have.
StarchBeet

Postby dstewart » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 pm

This way of eating is not a hairshirt. It may be tough for your father to understand, but you don't have to give yourself a break to eat junk whose taste you may enjoy. Like many people, he may think you don't really enjoy the foods you eat on this WOE and the old junk is what you really want to eat.

Here's an analogy. Your father probably likes some vegetables and fruits, even if he eats few or just a typical "meat, potatoes, vegetable" meal all the time. What would he feel like if you put together a plate of nothing but his favorite vegetables and fruits and served it for dinner, saying, "you gotta give yourself a break"? (For most people, on SAD, this really would be giving their poor bodies a break!)

After all, it's all stuff he likes, so you're not saying, "Dad, eat this stuff you don't like." Yet wouldn't he feel he was being put on the spot and guilted into doing something he wouldn't do of his own volition?
dstewart

Return to The Lounge