McDougall diet and my family. (so far)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall diet and my family. (so far)

Postby BenFTW » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:59 pm

Well, awhile back I declared my family and I were going to do the diet. However, there were false promises from family members and it didnt happen immediately as planned. However, eventually, it did happen and we've been doing it for a month now. Each of us has lost 20 lbs each.

I would say the biggest success out of this month between all of us is my Mother cured herself of her constipation. She would maybe take one number two every couple days and now she is having bowel movement three times a day. (not that you guys probably want to hear that) lol

PS/Off topic: Its so weird now when you see people eating certain foods in vlogs or Tv commericals. All you see are animal products and processed food. I saw in a vlog someone saying they make the best chocolate milk and gave it to their friend and he started drinking it. When he was drinking it i though to myself, "Ewww." Its weird how learning all this information changes your perspective on foods.
BenFTW

Re: McDougall diet and my family. (so far)

Postby pinkrose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:59 pm

Fantastic! :nod:

Keep us posted, Ben!!! :)
pinkrose

Postby LauraA » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:50 pm

Wow - that is so great! Keep up the good work. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby mountain » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Isn't it amazing how the tastebuds and the perception of food changes when you eat "clean" foods :D
Keep going....it just might save your life!
mountain

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:57 pm

That's an impressive result. How were you able to convince other family members to follow your lead?
Your perceptions do change. I look on fruits and vegetables as 'gifts of nature'. They are colourful, health giving and delicious with minimal of no processing. The highly processed foods on offer pale in comparison.
Pumpkin Pete

Postby BenFTW » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:54 am

Pumpkin Pete wrote:That's an impressive result. How were you able to convince other family members to follow your lead?
Your perceptions do change. I look on fruits and vegetables as 'gifts of nature'. They are colourful, health giving and delicious with minimal of no processing. The highly processed foods on offer pale in comparison.

Through out the years they have always been interested in health and looking into ways of getting it. However, they never really made the change completely. We did do "diets" but it would be lose weight and then put it back on because we all know, once you go ON a diet, you can go OFF.

So anyways, long story short, I would show them documentaries on health such as Food Matters, Fat,Sick and Nearly Dead, and then finally Forks Over Knives.

My Dad said that Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead enlightened him to the importance of vegetables in a diet. However what truly made him decide to eat this way is Forks Over Knives. He watched it and was astounded. He said other information was like "okay" but this documentary had the science to back it up. (The Chiny Study)

So basically, since he had just recently had a... I forgot the terminology but he was in the hospital due to his heart. (Hypertension i believe it was) He was heaving for air and just stopped every once in awhile and took deep breathes and family members were worried. So they sent him to the doctors and his numbers were off the charts.

How the documentary and other media showed how the arteries get clogged and what not, he then decided to make the change.
BenFTW

Postby Loveskale » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:53 am

Congratulations Ben, those are really impressive numbers!

I got my dad to eat a plant based diet too-feels good doesn't it? He's lost an incredible amount of weight too.

But, he switched because he was CONCERNED about my diet and decided to reserach it...next thing I know he's telling me he wants to go vegan. :lol:
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Return to The Lounge