Six Medical myths

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Six Medical myths

Postby pinkrose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:13 am

See

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-robert ... 15752.html

This article reminds me of something a doctor said years ago: "Nobody wants to pay for prevention...because when you prevent something...you never really know what you prevented." Has this changed in the last 20 years? :?:

Do you think this unwillingness to pay doctors and nurses for preventive work (the kind of work Dr. McDougall does) is one reason people are so sick? :?:
pinkrose

Re: Six Medical myths

Postby Ginger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 am

Thanks for the article, Pinkrose. No, I don't think that the reason we don't have more prevention is from unwillingness to pay medical professionals for it. If you read the comments made by readers at the end of the article it gives a pretty clear picture. They like it the way that it is and they don't want changes. These myths have been drummed into people's heads their entire lives and they are not about to give them up. I am reminded of "The Tomato Effect" described by Dr. Greger http://nutritionfacts.org/videos/the-tomato-effect/ which gives a clear example of the inordinate amount of time it takes for people to accept a different way of doing things. I never cease to be amazed at people's willful ignorance and refusal to change!!!
Ginger

Postby schermel » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

Pay the doctor or Pay the grocer.
schermel

Postby SactoBob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:19 am

That is a great article, pinkrose. It's great to see such things coming from within the medical profession.
SactoBob

Postby toadfood » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:42 pm

I was right there with him until the part about childhood vaccines -- in particular, resurrecting the vaccines-cause-autism canard.

It's also important to note that he is a podiatrist, not an MD or DO.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby BenFTW » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:17 pm

pinkrose wrote:See

This article reminds me of something a doctor said years ago: "Nobody wants to pay for prevention...because when you prevent something...you never really know what you prevented." Has this changed in the last 20 years? :?:

Do you think this unwillingness to pay doctors and nurses for preventive work (the kind of work Dr. McDougall does) is one reason people are so sick? :?:

I'm trying to think of some information I read sometime ago or saw somewhere. The author said that in their country you pay your doctor when you are healthy but when you are sick you stop paying him/her because that is when they are failing to do their job.

Thats what that made me think of. :P (your question)
BenFTW

Postby pinkrose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:03 pm

BenFTW wrote:
pinkrose wrote:See

I'm trying to think of some information I read sometime ago or saw somewhere. The author said that in their country you pay your doctor when you are healthy but when you are sick you stop paying him/her because that is when they are failing to do their job.

Thats what that made me think of. :P (your question)

I have heard that in regard to Japan and I think their system is probably better than most!!! :-D
pinkrose

Return to The Lounge