Why a personal trainer is making himself obese

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why a personal trainer is making himself obese

Postby Veg » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Has anyone seen this article yet?

This guy is purposely making himself obese in order to know what an overweight person goes through and then make himself fit again.

I like how he discusses his observation on food addiction.

Link to article
nettles & sassafras
Veg

Re: Why a personal trainer is making himself obese

Postby Dgarr » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I bet it will take him longer than six months to get back in shape. We all know it's easier to put on than to take off.
Dgarr

Postby kirstykay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:31 pm

That's crazy!!! But, I can't tell you how many personal trainers I've been to that have NO CLUE what it's like to be me! They think they know, but they just don't get it if they've never dealt with this complicated issue personally. I admire him for being willing to put himeself through this to help others...not sure it's a great idea, though! I hope he can get back to his "before" picture!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:24 am

Apparently, this guy is not the first trainer to do this. A personal trainer from Australia did the same thing in 2009!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/person ... 5811139579
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby frozenveg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:05 am

It's odd that he also seemed to stop going to the tanning salon as he gained his weight!

It's interesting that he mentioned the tying of shoes and clipping of toenails. I had gotten so heavy that I was at the point that I was afraid I'd have to ask my DH or pay someone to clip my toenails. Now that I'm down to a normal weight, it is such a pleasure to be able to tie the knot of my shoelaces in the center, rather than off to the side. KWIM? I can still breathe now as I tie my shoes and clip my toenails!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ruupyet » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:24 am

Why stop there? How will he ever be able to relate to a heart patient? Maybe he should eat enough to get to the point of needing medications and open heart surgery. I don't know, this just seems like a stupid publicity stunt to me but it is his body and his life so I don't care.

Frozenveg, I love how he lost the tan, too! Maybe he is too busy eating to hit the tanning booth?
ruupyet

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:02 am

frozenveg wrote:It's odd that he also seemed to stop going to the tanning salon as he gained his weight!

He stopped waxing, too.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:31 pm

ruupyet wrote:Why stop there? How will he ever be able to relate to a heart patient? Maybe he should eat enough to get to the point of needing medications and open heart surgery. I don't know, this just seems like a stupid publicity stunt to me but it is his body and his life so I don't care.

Frozenveg, I love how he lost the tan, too! Maybe he is too busy eating to hit the tanning booth?

He may have been involved in body building competitions or fit body competitions. They tan and grease themselves up to highlight the muscles. Most of them shave the hair off too because it hides the muscle definition.

I went over to his site. Here's a post he did on what he's eating:
http://fit2fat2fit.com/2011/10/daily-chow-10311/

Remember, you don't have to eat constantly to be fat. And you don't have to eat tons. People consume the same amount/weight of food. There's a setpoint, if you will. If you want to be fatter, you just have to eat the wrong foods. I wouldn't be surprised if some folks here eat more food (weight in grams) every day than this guy's eating. This day listed above includes mostly refined flour foods. Typical SAD foods. Really. You don't need to eat a bathtub full of them every day to get unhealthy and fat.

It's an interesting experiment, and I hope he can use the information he gains from it to help his clients in the future.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Return to The Lounge