white knuckling it!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

white knuckling it!

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:46 pm

On the main street of my small town a new soft serve frozen yogurt shop has just opened up. It's a serve yourself place with lots of toppings. We already have several little ice cream shops. Well, I don't eat any dairy ever, and haven't for about 18 years. Several people have asked me to go there with them, and I just say, "no thanks." So what's the problem? I found out a few days ago that every day they offer at least one dairy free sorbet. I'm on MWL program, and I know that it wouldn't be healthy anyway, but it is so tempting! When I used to eat dairy, soft serve was always my favorite, and I used to eat it a lot. I drive by this place several times some days. You go out of my development onto the main street, and there it is - no other route. So far, I've stayed away, but it's awful!! Advice?? Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Re: white knuckling it!

Postby Gweithgar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:40 pm

OK, well, for starters, imagine all the people who have handled/breathed/sneezed on all those "yummy toppings"! This is the "paranoid" strategy that keeps me out of office cakes and bagels. Can you change your route so you don't drive past it as often?

I find it pretty easy to be "good" when I'm with people who know I'm eating this way now, but if I go off the rails when I'm alone, it's much harder. Build up your willpower muscles by staying strong!!
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:29 pm

I think mentioning it on the board will help me, because if I were ever to go there, I'd have to confess. It's really the only road out of where I live - I pretty much pass it if I go anywhere. I don't like the toppings, and I'm not a big worrier about germs - I just used to love soft serve, and had never even heard of soft serve sorbet! So far I'm handling it, but it is really not easy. Thanks for your post. I'm not meaning to shoot down your suggestions, it's just that this one has me stumped. When you mentioned being with others, I did get one idea. Maybe I need to increase my fear that I will see someone that I know. It's a really small town, and lots of my relatives live here. They all know the things that I'm trying to stay away from. That, plus confessing here will have to help! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby to_our_health » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:06 pm

I used to love soft serve too so I finally tried the homemade banana soft serve so many here were talking about. Have you tried it? I give most of it to my DH and then eat a bit and it really tastes and feels like soft serve.

There are many versions but I've tried the one where you put about 2 cups of sliced frozen banana pieces into the food processor with a tiny bit of almond milk and vanilla and let it process until it goes from lumpy to a ball to finally soft serve. Then I put in 2 tablespoons of cocoa and process just enough to combine.

That should quell those cravings!
to_our_health

Postby patty » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:33 pm

In the islands because of the warm weather jamba juice is popular and healthier than soda or specialty type coffee. So for a reward type food I make a smoothie or soft serve bowl of frozen fruit with raw oatmeal. The frozen banana works really great as mentioned...you can also blend in a non-frozen banana to get that soft serve texture. That is my rescue food:)

McDonalds now serves a frozen fruit sorbet or smoothie but it has dairy. I was showing someone the video of Clinton on Letterman's show. And I was sharing how Betty Ford opened the doors to AA for women and I feel Clinton is doing that for everyone with starch centered diet. The frozen fruit keeps me from feeling deprived but the starch creates the long term satiety. When the consumer changes the suppliers change. In AA they say it is about attraction not promotion and Clinton looked better than ever. Socially we are changing. It is all about self-governing while helping your neighbor by saying " No".

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby kirstykay » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:43 pm

I think you can tell yourself that this just isn't a choice for you. Every time you drive by it, say (even out loud) "That is NOT a choice!" Once you say "yes" one time, it will be a contuous struggle every DAY! I often have to "parent" myself in this way...That is just not a choice for me because I am choosing something much more important! And I will never regret NOT choosing something that will keep me addicted to an unhealthy lifestyle! Stay strong!! You will never regret it! It's so much bigger than one little taste of something. This is a turning point for you. You can do it!!! I'm rooting for you!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby txveggie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:50 pm

Any chance it is fat free as well?
txveggie

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:04 pm

patty wrote:In the islands because of the warm weather jamba juice is popular and healthier than soda or specialty type coffee. So for a reward type food I make a smoothie or soft serve bowl of frozen fruit with raw oatmeal. The frozen banana works really great as mentioned...you can also blend in a non-frozen banana to get that soft serve texture. That is my rescue food:)

McDonalds now serves a frozen fruit sorbet or smoothie but it has dairy. I was showing someone the video of Clinton on Letterman's show. And I was sharing how Betty Ford opened the doors to AA for women and I feel Clinton is doing that for everyone with starch centered diet. The frozen fruit keeps me from feeling deprived but the starch creates the long term satiety. When the consumer changes the suppliers change. In AA they say it is about attraction not promotion and Clinton looked better than ever. Socially we are changing. It is all about self-governing while helping your neighbor by saying " No".

Aloha, patty

Thanks, Patty ( I love Hawaii!) I don't really know what jamba juice is, though. I stay strictly away from dairy and all animal products, but a few sweet things are much harder for me to say no to. I have done the banana thing and loved it - did it when grandkids were here in the summer. A close friend called me today just after I somehow managed to pass the soft serve again, and he was telling me of his struggle with his partner who seems to now be showing serious signs of alcoholism. As we talked, I was reminded that my problem can be just as serious. I do have a pretty good handle on most compulsive eating, but a few things can still get to me. Thanks for the help! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:06 pm

kirstykay wrote:I think you can tell yourself that this just isn't a choice for you. Every time you drive by it, say (even out loud) "That is NOT a choice!" Once you say "yes" one time, it will be a contuous struggle every DAY! I often have to "parent" myself in this way...That is just not a choice for me because I am choosing something much more important! And I will never regret NOT choosing something that will keep me addicted to an unhealthy lifestyle! Stay strong!! You will never regret it! It's so much bigger than one little taste of something. This is a turning point for you. You can do it!!! I'm rooting for you!

You are so right. I realized today that I can kind of keep track of how many days I have passed it, and that it is just a place that I don't stop. I really wish that certain sweet things were as easy for me to stay away from as dairy or other animal products. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby LauraA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:08 pm

txveggie wrote:Any chance it is fat free as well?

You know, it is nonfat, but this is a slippery slope for me. I had just finished a huge lunch of wonderful veggie soup when I passed there today, and I was totally full. Now maybe this would be an ok treat to plan at some certain time with grandkids or something, but not just because I'm driving by there! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby sweetfruitlover » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I second the suggestion of telling yourself that it's not an option, that you have moved past that. You can do it! If you really want something like that, the banana "ice cream" in the blender suggestion is a great one. I just make it with frozen bananas and a little water for blending, and it's delicious.

Like today, avoid driving by there when you're hungry. It's much easier to resist off-plan temptations when you're satisfied from your last meal.

I think there's a certain point that you get to when you just don't even consider having something unhealthy (like all that sugar.) And if you weaken while you are getting there, things never taste as good as you think they will or remember that they did. I remember how good certain things used to taste to me, but I know if I had them now they'd be so overwhelmingly rich and salty and oily or cloyingly sweet that they wouldn't taste good at all.

Just today, my coworker was having a burmese salad for lunch, and she got all excited when she thought it might work for me (vegan, gluten free). She really wanted me to have a taste, so I took a very small bite of the lettuce. It was so intensely flavored I don't know how she can even enjoy plain food at all. It was so salty and everything was coated in oil. I told her how delicious it was, but I wasn't tempted to have any more, and I was happy to return to my boiled potatoes and salad with ground flax seeds.
sweetfruitlover

Postby patty » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

Have you tired making Jeff Novick's oatmeal bars? I am thinking of making them for my grandchildren. I have made them with frozen.tropical fruit and the frozen three berry mix. I dehydrated them where it wasn't a problem where i wanted to eat the whole batch:) I have to be careful what deserts I make. I no longer have cashews in the house. Bananas and tofu make a nice pudding.

I am a fast food junkie and I love whizzing by without stopping to pick something up to make it to the next stop. The only reason I was at McDonalds was for my dog. In the past I totally spoiled her. And with my grandchildren I have to really pay attention to HALT, don't get to hungry, angry, lonely and tired. After listening to Dr. Mc Dougall's electures repetitiously in the car I am more determined to retrain their taste buds:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Ginger » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:27 am

I would like to re-emphasize HALT. Those of us with food addictions struggle with the same dynamic as people with any other addictions. I know that when I am Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired I have to REALLY pay attention. If I don't, I am going to reach for something to comfort or compensate and my addiction will be in control. For me there is no such thing as "a little bit of sugar", so even "legal" treats and desserts just keep the fire burning (It's like that one drop of gasoline that Dr. Esselstyn talks about!)
Ginger

Postby LauraA » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful answers - I have struggled with food addictions for a long time, and it is so interesting that I have happily stayed clear of all animal products for years, but the vegan treats are much more of a challenge for me. I love The Pleasure Trap, and all of the advice here. HALT is great, and I use that, but I can drive by something tempting when I'm full, happy, not lonely and well rested and still "want" it! I love the quote, "you can't get enough of what you don't really need." That quote really works for me, because I would never overeat on any MWL food, but just give me something sweet or a bag of nuts, and there's no stopping me (after that first bite!) I've learned so much, and I'm still learning! The more I talk about all of this, the less white knuckling I do, and that's why I brought it up here. Today I'll drive by the soft serve with pride! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby Loveskale » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:56 am

I read this on Jeff's Facebook page yesterday, it made me laugh and it might make you laugh.

It was a photo of him at one of his presentations and on the powerpoint screen he had: Cut the C.R.A.P. (Calorie rich and processed).

Perhaps next time you see something vegan but not on plan, you'll think of that and just laugh. I know I will.
My recipes are posted at: http://www.Flickr.com/Loveskale
Loveskale

Next

Return to The Lounge