white knuckling it!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: white knuckling it!

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:25 am

I hear ya! Not only am I capable of eating my favorite treat EVEN WHEN FULL, WITH COMPANY, CALM, AND ALERT...ice cream is something that I miss very much, so when the opportunity came, I had a berry sorbet with some toppings on it at such a place, and I can tell you right now, it is absolutely not worth it. It was so sweet, it hurt my teeth. I don't know if regular ice cream is a little lighter on the sugar, but sorbet is TOO TOO sweet by a long shot.

One thing I can say, having that little serving of sugar completely turned me off of such places. I know ice cream will make me sick, and now I know sorbet will curl my teeth ;-)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:03 am

If you think you can have just one small scoop of sorbet w/ no toppings, I don't think there's ANYTHING wrong w/ having some. Sorbet is just fruit and sugar. Not the best thing in the world for you but VERY far from the worst. I go out w/ friends to get ice cream probably 5-6 times a year and have a tiny sorbet. It's MORE than enough for me, as it's so sweet!

But if you think you'll cave in and do worse, then yeah, just say NO! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby harry » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:12 am

someone once said "that people have feet of clay"......i think i have my two clay feet...
i dont think there is anything wrong with thinking and feeling
like wanting some goodies...it is the behavior that counts..
harry
harry

Postby nicoles » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:40 pm

Loveskale wrote:I read this on Jeff's Facebook page yesterday, it made me laugh and it might make you laugh.

It was a photo of him at one of his presentations and on the powerpoint screen he had: Cut the C.R.A.P. (Calorie rich and processed).

Perhaps next time you see something vegan but not on plan, you'll think of that and just laugh. I know I will.

:lol: Love that!

I agree with the HALT concept - stay away if you aren't at your best, and plan times ahead when it is OK for a Special Occasion to go. there.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby LauraA » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:59 pm

Loveskale wrote:I read this on Jeff's Facebook page yesterday, it made me laugh and it might make you laugh.

It was a photo of him at one of his presentations and on the powerpoint screen he had: Cut the C.R.A.P. (Calorie rich and processed).

Perhaps next time you see something vegan but not on plan, you'll think of that and just laugh. I know I will.

Perfect!! Thanks, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby milo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:19 am

Is there a particular flavor that you'd like to try? Because banana whips are an excellent substitution. You can flavor them in all kinds of ways: using frozen bananas in the food processor as a base, you can add cocoa powder to make chocolate, or add frozen strawberries, or vanilla extract, or mint extract, or frozen cherries.

You can also make a mango sorbet using just frozen mangoes. Or, use frozen mangos as a base, and add other frozen fruits to flavor. Dr. Fuhrman has a fancier mango sorbet recipe here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AErQ5NSEwuk

I make these all the time and have yet to succumb to a temptation for ice cream. My tips: always keep your freezer stocked with frozen bananas and other frozen fruits, and a food processor works better than a Vitamix or blender.
milo

Postby LauraA » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks all, so much! I agree that an occasional sorbet would be ok. I actually have sorbet maybe 4 or 5 times a year in a nice restaurant - especially if the meal has been really compliant (no oil). My problem is, this place is always there. I'm going to save it up for a special occasion with others with me, and then hope that it is so sweet that I hate it!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Previous

Return to The Lounge