The cost of poor lifestyle choices on society

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The cost of poor lifestyle choices on society

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:38 pm

dstewart wrote:We have a system for that: It could be called "paying your own way." Paying for your own medical care, paying for your own insurance. It's direct, completely ties risk to cost. (I'm not sure, but that might be what you call selfishness.)

Where do I have to live to see that system? When I read that alcohol and tobacco costs SOCIETY over a half trillion, I'm assuming that's not a "pay your own way" plan.

I live in Canada. I pay for other peoples poor choices through my high taxes. I don't use the hospitals, yet people go to emerg for cuts and bumps. This is driving us broke as a country. Smokers who fall asleep with their cigarettes and burn their houses down, cost the rest of us in taxes to pay the fire fighters. Drug and rehab programs cost people who don't use drugs.

I'd love a "pay your own way" system for those who choose not to wear helmets or seatbelts, or who drive drunk and take up the resources of our police, or the 10,000 other things that people choose to take risks with at the expense of others.

FYI: my car and life insurance is higher than it should be because of other peoples mistakes. This is not a fair system.
HealthyMe2010

Postby liam13 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

I work in the utilization dept at a hospital and insurance companies are always denying payment, even though it is clearly spelled out in the "contract" they supposedly honor. Smokers and drinkers (I like a wine now and then myself) do not begin to pay what they cost society, and if one believes they do let me sell the Golden Gate Bridge. Junk food should be TAXED higher. What is wrong with personal responsibility here. If I voluntarily create a cost to others, I am willing to pay that costs. I know some out there are clearly unwilling to do that.
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/][img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-man2/lb/245/185/250/.png[/img][/url]
liam13

Postby eaufraiche703 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:30 pm

ah, interesting exchange on this forum. here's another tangential nugget....

how much does poor parenting cost society?
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Melinda » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Poor parenting costs society a huge amount plus the same poor parenting skills are often passed on down to the next generation. I have more of an attitude that we ARE our brother's keeper ie I think it is the mark of a civilized society that we look out for each other and try to help those less fortunate than ourselves.
Melinda

Previous

Return to The Lounge