Closet vegan bakers in Wall Street Journal

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Closet vegan bakers in Wall Street Journal

Postby dstewart » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Here's the story, though it may be behind the subscription paywall:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203388804576617533728150892.html

A lot of vegan bakery owners are making great products, but many have found that if they advertise them as "vegan" they lose customers.

I can understand it--it's a hangover from a couple decades in which "healthy foods" that attempted to be remakes of common foods from the SAD diet, only healthy, were at best only healthy and often if not usually terrible tasting (and feeling).

So bakers use more expansive phrases that, if taken together, pretty much define vegan: Dairy-free, egg-free. Meat eaters don't flip out, because they're not "vegan," just don't use stuff people can be allergic to, like eggs and milk. And vegans read labels and know what these phrases mean.

Some bakers don't like the compromise, though, and see not saying their foods are vegan as both surrendering a principle and missing a market.

What do you think?
dstewart

Re: Closet vegan bakers in Wall Street Journal

Postby rijman » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:12 am

I agree, the term "vegan" carries a negative connotation with some people who associate it with radical animal activists. I think the "meat free" and "dairy free" terms are fine, they get the point across. The bakers could always base their packaging on the retail outlet, mass markets could get the "meat free" and "dairy free" labels and stores specializing in vegetarian and vegan products could get a "vegan" label.
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Return to The Lounge