CVS

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

CVS

Postby Yummers819 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:40 pm

My friends daughter is 5 years old she has CVS which stands for cyclical vomiting syndrome. It begins with an unannounced seizure,followed by vomiting, migraines& ending with lethargy. After each episode she spends the next few days bedside in the hospital waiting for her daughter Ella to return to herself. She's taken her to Clevland, NY, & LA seeking answers. I think it's somehow nutrition related. Has anyone heard of this? Thanks Myra
Yummers819

Re: CVS

Postby ruupyet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:53 pm

My son (now 14) was diagnosed with CVS when he was little. We were told that he would eventually outgrow it and it would turn into migraines with potential vomiting. The doctor said to think of CVS as a migraine in the stomach since little kids rarely get migraines. Eventually the symptoms flip from the stomach to the head with periodic stomach problems. I don't believe my son has ever experienced a true migraine but he did get frequent headaches as he aged. Over the years, he seems to have outgrown them although he still can not see 3D movies and he needs Bonine for a long car ride or any plane trip.

I am sure nutrition has something to do with it but I can't pinpoint it to any one thing that worked for my son. He has always been plagued with allergies so his diet has always been pretty healthy. He did not eat any nuts, soy, eggs, dairy, fish, or beef when he was little. He also never had anything with preservatives or dyes. His CVS started at 2 and subsided for the most part by 7. His headaches intensified by 6 and subsided, except for the few things I mentioned, above when he was 10. We started eating this way when he was 12. For him, that only meant giving up pork, poultry and oil so it wasn't too hard. We had been eating things like brown rice, potatoes, and veggies all along and rarely ate out.

Although the vomiting was beyond horrible, it seems as if my son had a milder version than most kids because he outgrew it quicker than they predicted and didn't have the severe migraines that they predicted. I don't have any proof that his healthy diet was the reason for the reduced symptoms but I am pretty certain that foods full of preservatives or dairy products wouldn't have made him any better.

Best of luck to your friend. I have a major vomiting phobia so that was a fun time in our house! :roll: :eek:
ruupyet

Postby Yummers819 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks for your insight. I will definitely pass it on!
Yummers819

Postby somnolent » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:49 pm

I am just wondering...how can they tell that it's not primarily a seizure disorder? I know a child with seizures and afterwards there is vomiting and lethargy. Maybe if they looked at it from the seizure angle they would be able to investigate some other possible causes and treatments.
somnolent

Postby didi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 am

Avocado sent me to the ER. I thought I was having a stroke but migraine (without the head pain) was diagnosed. Anything can trigger a migraine if you are susceptible.

Didi
didi

Return to The Lounge