7 reasons to eat more starch

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

7 reasons to eat more starch

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:32 am

According to the date of this article (1989) at least some people have known what Dr. Mcdougall has been saying for a long time:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_7648487/

And take a look at the last sentence in the article:

"Complex carbohydrates are the only major food constituents -- in contrast to fat, sugar, and protein -- that have never been tied to dangerous health consequences."

It makes me angry that the medical community hasn't been pushing a starch based diet all along.
Of course we all know why. It's because the dairy and meat industries are some of the largest lobbying groups in the U.S.
Gramma Jackie

Re: 7 reasons to eat more starch

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:02 am

I love it!! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby lmggallagher » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 am

Hey Gramma Jackie:

Great post! Yesterday I watched a Youtube of Dr. McD this last year testifying for AB 308. I think he may have even had it authored! Anyway it's passed now and requires doctors here in California to at least get nutritional training.

I am personally in love with my primary care Doc, she is so supportive! When I told her I was going on Dr. Esselstyne's plan, she was ecstatic, she'd just seen him at Physicians lecture at Kaiser Medical here. She even recommended vegan cookbooks to me - you think she's a vegan, hehehehe!
lmggallagher

Postby janluvs2heel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:33 am

Of course they knew about this. 1989 was right before the big fat-free phase of American weight loss history. I started it in 1991 & actually did okay until they came out with all the snacks, etc. that were fat free but filled with so much sugar! Then this message, about the starches was pushed out by the fat free message.

They dont want us to be healthy, lose weight, etc.

Bottom line though, most people watch or read the news on a daily basis & most of what is in the newspaper is on the TV. I am shocked at what I see on the news today, that people are not more aware of what goes in their bodies than they are! But they choose to ignore it, so I think it becomes their responsibility.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:11 am

janluvs2heel wrote:Of course they knew about this. 1989 was right before the big fat-free phase of American weight loss history. I started it in 1991 & actually did okay until they came out with all the snacks, etc. that were fat free but filled with so much sugar! Then this message, about the starches was pushed out by the fat free message.

They dont want us to be healthy, lose weight, etc.

Bottom line though, most people watch or read the news on a daily basis & most of what is in the newspaper is on the TV. I am shocked at what I see on the news today, that people are not more aware of what goes in their bodies than they are! But they choose to ignore it, so I think it becomes their responsibility.

I think what happened is that the manufacturers started pushing all those fat-free products like FF sour cream, FF cream cheese and FF cookies, etc. The only thing I use that is fatfree is FF salad dressing and even then I don't use a lot. (I just discovered Bragg's aminos at my local grocery store. Yay!). The message that was lost on most people (including myself at the time) is that most fruits and vegetables are naturally very low fat to almost no fat.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:According to the date of this article (1989) at least some people have known what Dr. Mcdougall has been saying for a long time:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_7648487/

And take a look at the last sentence in the article:

"Complex carbohydrates are the only major food constituents -- in contrast to fat, sugar, and protein -- that have never been tied to dangerous health consequences."

It makes me angry that the medical community hasn't been pushing a starch based diet all along.
Of course we all know why. It's because the dairy and meat industries are some of the largest lobbying groups in the U.S.

Hey Gamma, a reader sent me this link and asked my to comment which I just did on the Plant-strong blog.

However, I could only find 6 instead of 7 - I put them into bullet points to take a closer look:
When you get a chance, can you come by and let me know what you think as far as where is #7? Thanks!

Lani
7 reasons to get more starch in your diet
Lani Muelrath

Postby kittyadventures » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi LAni
I broke it apart this way not sure if it is where teh author intended the breaks to be at

Seven Good Reasons to Eat More Starch .
1. When you eat more complex carbohydrates, you cut back on fatty foods. . Complex carbohydrates are not necessarily fattening and are most always low in fat. . Each gram of carbohydrates supplies four calories -- the same protein -- and about half as much fat; one fat gram supplies nine calories.
2.. Unrefined starchy carbohydrates are filling; they are good foods for those who want to lose weight. Recent studies show that diets high in complex carbohydrates are the most nutritious and effective weight-loss diets.
3. As reported by researcher Dr. Roland Weinsier, director of clinical nutritional sciences at University of Alabama School of Medicine, who says: "A large intake of complex carbohydrates, such as unrefined starches, fruits, and vegetables -- that are high in bulk and low in energy density -- will result in longer eating time (since the person chews longer), will bring about satiety, and will result in lower calorie intake." .

4.Unrefined starchy carbohydrates are high in fiber, which may protect against numerous diseases, including some forms of cancer.
5.Complex carbohydrates -- plant foods (grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds) are the only source of fiber in the diet. .
6.Complex carbohydrates are "nutrient dense"; that is--unlike "empty calorie" sugars -- they contain a high ratio of nutrients per calorie; they pack a large nutritional punch. .

7.Complex carbohydrates are the only major food constituents -- in contrast to fat, sugar, and protein -- that have never been tied to dangerous health consequences.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Lani Muelrath » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Hey KittyA - oh! I see. The author had 2 and 3 strung together so I reported it as one with the "filling" and "longer eating time" flowing in together.

It's curious that the original wasn't written in a list form - "x# of reasons" always lends itself to that.

Thanks!
Lani Muelrath

Return to The Lounge