Anyone here a ex Raw/80 10 10 dieter?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Anyone here a ex Raw/80 10 10 dieter?

Postby LosingIt » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:41 pm

Erm, those studies really don't say anything about an optimal diet, because I bet the primates would go to high fat/processed foods before healthy cooked foods too. Most humans do. That is no argument for SAD.
LosingIt

Postby spekgirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:02 am

Wow thanks heaps everyone! I want to give this a go where and how should I start? Does it matter about food combining? Like can I now eat fruit with other foods? Thanks heaps again I loved reading your experiences. Can anyone tell me there meal plan now?
"God is Love"
spekgirl

Postby pinkrose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:16 am

spekgirl wrote:Wow thanks heaps everyone! I want to give this a go where and how should I start? Does it matter about food combining? Like can I now eat fruit with other foods? Thanks heaps again I loved reading your experiences. Can anyone tell me there meal plan now?

Great! Welcome aboard, Spekgirl!

You can find many great educational resources here. This is a good place to start:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html

In regard to food combining, you can feel free to do it or not do it. You can follow the program very simply (basically eating colorful low-starch veggies and starches) or you can make it more interesting. However, especially if you want to reduce your weight, monotony (simplicity) seems to help. :nod:

My typical meals:
B--steamed greens and brown rice
L--steamed sweet potatoes OR steamed potatoes with tomato sauce
D--colorful steamed veggies (broccoli, carrots, red peppers, snow peas, greens) and brown rice

I consider rice dessert. :-D

Please keep us posted on your journey! :-D
pinkrose

Postby spekgirl » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Wow! You don't even eat any fruit!! How many calories should I aim for to maintain weight? Thanks for the welcome!
"God is Love"
spekgirl

Postby StarchBeet » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:54 pm

I was on the live food diet for a short period of time back in the early 80's. I even went to the Anne Wigmore Institute in Boston for a week. I loved it but I didn't keep it up. I also did McDougall in 85 but I was able to do it for over a year. I felt great for both.

I'm back on McDougall (since July 2010) and I'm trying to go more for the uncooked vegetables and fruits so I can get these final 20 plus pounds off. I can see that many here have struggled since it takes a lot of time to eat raw food and get enough nutrients. Jeff says to eat a salad before your main course to eat less over-all calories at meals.

It seems some balance more towards cooked starch is what people prefer. I can't wait to read Johns book...The Starch Solution or Revolution. I do love starch!
StarchBeet

Postby pinkrose » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:56 pm

spekgirl wrote:Wow! You don't even eat any fruit!! How many calories should I aim for to maintain weight? Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I rarely eat fruit. I like to stick with only three meals/day and no snacks.

Most here do not find it helpful to count calories. However, if you want to gain a bit and have a good appetite, it should be easy to gain by adding fruit and refined starches (pastas, breads etc.). :)
pinkrose

Previous

Return to The Lounge