What do you do on vacation?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What do you do on vacation?

Postby junkfoodvegan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 pm

I'm going to be vacationing with family soon, and I really need some advice. We will be staying at a regular hotel (no kitchen) and will be eating out for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I was planning to stock up on Clif bars and Luna bars (I know they have oil, but I figure it was better than nothing), but now that I have been following this plan, Clif and Luna bars aren't appealing to me. They are too sweet and too salty. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can bring with me? I won't even have access to a supermarket while I'm there.
junkfoodvegan

Re: What do you do on vacation?

Postby Conan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:20 pm

A rice cooker and a phone where you can look for restaurants.
Conan

Postby Plumerias » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Are you flying or driving?
Plumerias

Postby vman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Lots of McD soup cups, whole wheat pretzels without oil if you can find them, rice crackers, frutopia bars are all dates and other fruit with no oil, McD or other brand instant oatmeal packets, order salads and baked potatoes and steamed veggies in restaurants, talk to the cooks and see what they can do for you. If space is at a premium in you luggage, just transfer the McD soup contents into baggies and use the coffee maker and cups in your hotel room.
vman

Postby junkfoodvegan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Plumerias wrote:Are you flying or driving?

Flying
junkfoodvegan

Postby junkfoodvegan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:47 pm

vman wrote:Lots of McD soup cups, whole wheat pretzels without oil if you can find them, rice crackers, frutopia bars are all dates and other fruit with no oil, McD or other brand instant oatmeal packets, order salads and baked potatoes and steamed veggies in restaurants, talk to the cooks and see what they can do for you. If space is at a premium in you luggage, just transfer the McD soup contents into baggies and use the coffee maker and cups in your hotel room.

I tried to look up frutopia bars, but I can't find them. Is that the name of the brand? Where do you find them?
junkfoodvegan

Postby rijman » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:57 pm

I just finished a vacation in a rental house and we had access to a supermarket, so it was easy. For breakfast I had a banana and instant oat meal each day. Those can be packed and you likely will have access to a coffee pot for hot water. Lunch was veggie sandwiches and dinners were out, veggie burrito one night, veggie pizza no cheese another and at a bbq had portobello burgers on another.
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

GO and look up restaurants in and around where you are staying.
Some of the best places to go are small mom& Pop diners where they will fix what you ask for. Do not fear the restaurant. IT may not be MWL mcdougall but you can usually get oatmeal, hash browns fruit. garden salads. steamed vegetables, and if you are not gluten intollerant most places will have some kind of plain spagetti.

If you ask nicely you usually get lots of help.

Some times you can find awesome places without any trouble at all.

Where are you going that there is not a grocery store?

there should be something pretty much where ever you go.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby junkfoodvegan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 pm

kittyadventures wrote:GO and look up restaurants in and around where you are staying.
Some of the best places to go are small mom& Pop diners where they will fix what you ask for. Do not fear the restaurant. IT may not be MWL mcdougall but you can usually get oatmeal, hash browns fruit. garden salads. steamed vegetables, and if you are not gluten intollerant most places will have some kind of plain spagetti.

Staying on Disney property. I have been there before while vegan, and know I will do okay with meals. Breakfast is tricky though. I'm just trying to figure out what I can carry around with me during the day if I get hungry in between meals. I want to make sure I have something with me, so I don't make a bad choice because I'm hungry.
junkfoodvegan

Postby DanKaplans » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm

i just go someplace relaxing like the beach.
DanKaplans

Postby kittyadventures » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:26 pm

junkfoodvegan wrote:
kittyadventures wrote:GO and look up restaurants in and around where you are staying.

Staying on Disney property. I have been there before while vegan, and know I will do okay with meals. Breakfast is tricky though. I'm just trying to figure out what I can carry around with me during the day if I get hungry in between meals. I want to make sure I have something with me, so I don't make a bad choice because I'm hungry.

Ahhh that makes sense.

hmmm you need some packaged foods. like trali mixes or granola type bars.. fruit leathers can you make some home made stuff you can take with you taht would keep it from being too awful.

Being gluten intollerant there are very few of these that work for me.

So I usually make my own trail mix and fruit leather.. which if you have a dehydrator you can make your own.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby Potatohead » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:35 pm

Bananas make a good snack, and they can be carried in your purse...although not on MWL, but allowed on the regular plan...almonds or cashews in a baggie can be tucked in your purse too...
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby jamietwo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:52 pm

An easy in-room breakfast is to combine quick oats with water and raisins and let set overnight. It makes a tasty breakfast and you can just wash your container and spoon and re-use them. I used to buy some varieties of Lara bars for my son. They're high fat due to nuts, but no added oils (read ingredients though as they keep changing!).
Jamie
jamietwo

Postby luvdachiess » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 pm

Disneyland sells fruit and veggie at a stand and they also have a baked potato stand that has both white potatoes and sweets. Not sure what Disney you are going to, but I was told Disney World also has them.
Teresa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
[/url]
luvdachiess

Postby Sweet Potato » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 pm

Instant oats & regular rolled oat just don't keep the hunger away for me. So, several times I have travelled with one of those small electric slow cookers... the dip size... quite inexpensive, quite small and not too heavy. I put it in my carry-on bag (Of course you could pack it in your main bag.) along with serving size baggies of my steel cut oats and perhaps some dried fruit and I used to put in some nuts... one baggie for each day. I also bring an electric timer... the kind that is used to turn lamps on and off. I set it to start two hours before I want to eat and put the oat mixture and water into the covered slow cooker.
I have found that having a breakfast that really satisfies me is very important when traveling; it keeps me away from the junk. That little crock pot really does the job for me and is worth the trouble.
Sweet Potato

Next

Return to The Lounge