Cast Iron Cookware questions

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cast Iron Cookware questions

Postby Worfie500 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm on a roll! First the plastic questions - now cast iron. Cleaned out my cupboards today - hurray!!! -, threw out a lot mature igredients, broken plastic junk, old pots and then came across two beautiful and dead expensive cast iron pots! http://www.kochform.de/Kuechenprofi-Bra ... chwarz.htm - beautiful! I was in a macrobiotic cookery phase and invested in these two beauties. I haven't used then in over 14 years after reading about iron level increases from cast iron and that "that" was not good. I didn't know what to do and just forgot about them.

Now to the questions... I read this article about how to re-season/clean up/bring your dead pan back to life: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Informat ... onPans.htm. Does this seasoning (oil) of the pan now make the food as if I was cooking/frying with oil? Do you need oil to use cast iron? Is the amount of oil so small (it goes into the pores of the metal) that it goes into the pot and not the food? Is anyone out there using cast iron on a regular basis? Is cast iron cookware NOT recommended as a usual cooking method anywhere in the Mcdougall literature? I could see myself using it maybe once a week, haven't stir fried anything in years.

People here seem to know a lot of unusual thinigs. Thanks in advance.
Worfie500

Re: Cast Iron Cookware questions

Postby kittyadventures » Sun May 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I use mine all the time. I season mine with extra virgin olive oil. it works wonderfully.. they make wonderful crisp things. you use much less heat, most things you cook you turn the heat off about half way thru cooking and you only use a low to medium heat to cook things with your cast iron.
I love mine.. and can not imagine my life without it.

You do not need to use oil to cook with them they saute just beautifully with vegetable broth or water or your favorite soy or almod milk etc if you so desire.

if you are re-seasoning after a long stint in the cupboard I recommend you pour a bit of salt in the pan with the oil and rub it in well with a paper towel then wipe teh whole pan out with a dry paper towel and then slather on a good amount of olive oil all over the pan . i put mine in the oven upside down and cook on between 300 to 350 for an hour.
I reseason once or twice a year as needed.

it does not add oil to your food as the oil is baked on and does not transfer.

to clean it is best to allow the pan to cool down to a warm to the touch and wash with water and your regular dish soap do not wash them in the dish washer as it removes the seasoned coating.

Most of the stuff we cook does not stick to teh pan so it usually just requires a quick wash. if something does stick put some warm soapy water in teh pan and allow it to sit for about five minutes
just about the time it takes to whip down your counters etc.. then you can clean the pan.

Be sure to thoroughly dry your pan after washing it.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby vgnwitch » Sun May 08, 2011 8:27 pm

Don't wash cast iron cookware in soapy water or use abrasive scrubbers. Hot water and a dish cloth works just fine. I put my cast iron pans on a low burner or in a low oven to make sure they are completely dry before putting them away.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby noelalexis2000 » Mon May 09, 2011 5:52 am

I use very little dish detergent now that my food isn't greasy and when I do use it I use Dr. Bronner's almond scented. Smells good enough to eat.
noelalexis2000

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 09, 2011 7:04 am

my cast iron pans are what I use instead of non-stick teflon (used to be paranoid about teflon, but now it's just a matter of already having something suitable, so why spend money on a teflon pan?)

As for iron transfer, it is really only with tomato based products, so I cook my ratatouille and spaghetti sauces in cast iron when possible, in order to increase the iron levels, since I'm not eating meat. If you're worried about too high iron levels, don't cook tomato based dishes in your cast iron pans. the transfer is minimal with non-tomato (non-acid) dishes.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:37 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
As for iron transfer, it is really only with tomato based products, so I cook my ratatouille and spaghetti sauces in cast iron when possible, in order to increase the iron levels, since I'm not eating meat. If you're worried about too high iron levels, don't cook tomato based dishes in your cast iron pans. the transfer is minimal with non-tomato (non-acid) dishes.

I love cooking sauce in cast iron and do so specifically to get more iron :) For most other things, you are correct that iron transfer is minimal.
HealthyMe2010

Postby Worfie500 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:21 am

I spent several hours watching videos, reading, thinking... and then finally treating my pots. One guy saids "lots of oil", the other "not". I have the feared "goopy" stick on some places. This morning I finally found the original company pamphlet online: http://www.kuechenprofi.de/pdfs/GussFlyer.pdf , telling me how great my pots are and how to treat them! I have to now get the gunk off, do not need to the oven to re-season and hope I haven't ruined the special quaility of these pots.

From reading the posts, I'm determined to get the pots up and running. I even used one last night after all the work - I had to test it! I like to add they weigh a ton and I can understand how appealing the pots that became popular due to their light weight took over.
Worfie500

Return to The Lounge