plastic food containers - cold food, lid questions

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

plastic food containers - cold food, lid questions

Postby Worfie500 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:26 am

Yesterday I bought at a super price some Glasslock - Snapware in the USA - food containers (for a picture: http://www.amazon.de/Glass-Lock-GlassLo ... 926&sr=1-1) I have been saving large glass jars from other food products and using them as storage containers, for dried beans, oatmeal... What is that white stuff on the underside of the lid? It kind of looks like a rubbery plastic, it seals the jar to the lid. Anyone know? Is there a problem with it? Also, I have a lot of "PP" plastic containers - if I'm just storing cold things like cooked bean for the fridge or in the freezer, or soaking my dried beans in them in the fridge - any problems? And what about adic foods like tomato sauce? And what if they are scratched from the normal wear and tear of being in use for years? I also read you should not put your plastic food containers in the dishwasher - what's the story with the "PP"s?

People at this site seem to be up on a lot of topics. Maybe someone knows about plastic food containers.
Worfie500

Re: plastic food containers - cold food, lid questions

Postby Daffodil » Sun May 08, 2011 3:52 am

I'm not really sure about the rubbery part that seals the jar to the lid. But I use the glass snapware containers all the time.
Never use forks inside of them, try to use utensils that aren't pointy, like spoons. I only use them to store things, and sometimes I heat up leftovers in them, but without the lids of course. Plus I wash them by hand, never in the dishwasher. Although the glass part can be washed that way. (i prefer hand washing with eco friendly dishwasher liquid)
They are a big step above the plastic containers with snap on lids.

I have stored the following(plus more) in the containers, and never a problem with staining:
tomato sauce, soups, gravies, fake cheese creations, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, fruit, tofu, homemade sorbet(in the freezer, they are freezer safe as well.) Plus brown sugar, powdered sugar, dry rice.
We liked them so much, we bought 2 sets. Got ours from Costco here in the U.S., cheaper than Amazon.
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Postby serenity » Sun May 08, 2011 11:16 am

It's silicone, and it creates an airtight seal.
serenity

Postby Chumly » Sun May 08, 2011 12:32 pm

PP is polypropylene. Polypropylene and polyethylene are very inert and aren't going to cause any problems at room temperature. The main problem comes when heating them up to the point where the plastic is melting.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Worfie500 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:47 pm

Thank you all for the posts. So that means using a scratched from normal usage "PP" plastic container should be ok, even if is has been washed 1,000 times n the dishwasher - or??? The containers are for food storage, not heating.
Worfie500

Postby Daffodil » Sun May 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Since you don't heat the glass containers with the lids on, the plastic will not harm you unless you get hungry and eat it.
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Return to The Lounge