drinking water

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

drinking water

Postby carrotlvr » Sat May 07, 2011 4:51 pm

I was wondering if there was any information about water. If I don't drink a lot of water, I always feel like eating. I drink a lot of water at work because as a teacher I am talking all day and that makes me thirsty. I try to drink just as much on the weekends. I think it makes me feel more satisfied. Are there are past threads Dr. F's opinion on this. I wonder if Dr. McDougall has one.

Kris
carrotlvr

Re: drinking water

Postby blondie » Sat May 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I think Dr. Mcdougall teaches that we should drink when we feel thirsty, and it is not necessary to drink large amounts of water just for the sake of drinking water.

I will look for where I read that and post the link when I find it.

Edit: Found a newsletter article about water from Dr. M:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/may/fav5.htm
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby carrotlvr » Sat May 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Great Blondie, thanks a bunch!
carrotlvr

Postby Jack19 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:21 pm

I remember when I went to Weight Watchers as a teenager the woman giving the weekly talk would be absolutely adamant that 8 glasses of water needed to be downed every day. As an impressionable youngster I followed her advice to the letter and ended up drinking so much more than I needed to, ending up needing bathroom stops every half an hour throughout the day! Years later I would learn that there is water in just about anything, and the water we drink is just one source of what should be part of our daily supply. Most fruit and veg are almost all water. When we make oatmeal we start off with at least twice as much water as the amount of porridge oats we pour into the pan and the water becomes part of and inflates the oat flakes. We use three times as much water as the raw brown rice or pearl barley etc we cook and the same thing happens there. Water is everywhere. I am pretty sure that Dr McDougall would agree that the best way to keep track of whether or not you are drinking enough water is to just take a moment to check your urine stream is nice and clear when you need to answer the call of nature. When you find that your urine is not clear -dark green - that means you should head to the kitchen and pour yourself a nice tall glass of water as soon as you have washed your hands on the way out from the bathroom!
Jack19

Postby Jack19 » Sun May 08, 2011 12:33 am

debbie wrote:
Jack19 wrote: When you find that your urine is not clear -dark green - that means you should head to the kitchen and pour yourself a nice tall glass of water as soon as you have washed your hands on the way out from the bathroom!

I cant say I have ever seen dark green pee. ;-) Ive seen other colors. Wonder what dark green means? :cool:

When you are passing urine that isnt clear it means you should be drinking more water.
Jack19

Postby Daffodil » Sun May 08, 2011 3:58 am

I've had dark green pee before...It was from something i ate that was green, either leafy or a vegetable. Maybe asparagus? I sometimes go nuts with certain veggies, because they taste so good.
I remember not long ago when I cooked up some organic beets and I peed purple. That was different. :mrgreen:
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Postby noelalexis2000 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:41 am

mine has been red from beets. I don't why it bugs me but I hate that about eating beets. :)
noelalexis2000

Postby carrotlvr » Sun May 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Yes, I am a former Weight Watcher. I joined WW over the course of 20 years probably 30 times. They always insisted you could eat what you want of pizza, cookies, pasta, and of course their 1 calorie dessert bars. I don't know how could ever eat just one of those. I polished off the box within a few days. Anyway, that is probably why they pushed the 8 glasses of water per day. When you eat salty pizza, crackers and other refined foods you need more water to wash it all down.
carrotlvr

Return to The Lounge