Cooking oatmeal-link, or directions?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Cooking oatmeal-link, or directions?

Postby Gwen » Fri May 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Somewhere the last couple days was a link to a video on cooking the different kinds of oatmeal....now I can't find it.
Does anyone have that, or just directions to cooking quick, whole, and steel cut oats?
Thanks,
Gwen
Gwen

Re: Cooking oatmeal-link, or directions?

Postby Lilliane » Fri May 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Quick Oats: 1 cup oatmeal, 2 cups water, bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes.

Old Fashioned Oats: 1 cup oats, 2 cups water. Bring water to a boil, add the oats and simmer for 8-10 minutes, or microwave for 3-5 min depending on size of oven.

Steel cut Oats, 1 cup steel cut oats, 3-4 cups water. I use 4 cups because I like to simmer it around 25 minutes or so. But three may be used if you like it really chewy and cook it only 15-20 minutes.

For a creamy consistency, add oats to cold water and bring to boil. If you like your grains more separate, bring water to a boil before adding oats-my preferred method.

To any type of oatmeal, add fresh shredded apple, cinnamon to taste and raisens if not on MWL. Or Blueberries and cinnamon. Or frozen sweet cherries (cooked with oatmeal) and a little almond flavoring. :-D

Dr McD says a sprinkle of salt on the surface will be where the taste buds can appreciate it without using nearly as much.
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby Gwen » Fri May 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Thanks Lillaine
Gwen

Postby kittyadventures » Sat May 07, 2011 10:15 am

For amounts of cinnamon to add to it, i use 1/2 teaspoon per serving(1/2 cup of dry oats) this is the perfect amount.. I have tried various amounts.

Also some people soak the old fashioned oats or the steel cut oats over night and then cook them. I have not tried this method yet myself

when i microwave my rolled oats sometimes I add fruit to it ... like blueberries or raspberries or apple chunks and microwave teh fruit with the oats.

sometimes I add it after it has been microwaved

about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of fruit is perfect.for one serving(1/2 cup dry)
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby blondie » Sat May 07, 2011 12:54 pm

I recently posted a link to how to make steel cut oats in the crockpot. You put your steel cut oats and water in a heat proof bowl that will fit inside your crockpot with the lid in place. Set the bowl in the crockpot, fill the area around the bowl with water up to the level of the oats, put on the lid, and cook on low about 8-9 hours overnight. (ratio of oats to water is 1 to 4 for steel cut oats.)

I usually have rolled oats most days, but don't cook them really. I measure 1 cup of oats into the bowl, pour 2 cups of boiling water on and let sit until the water is absorbed, maybe 5 mins. or so. This makes a large serving, but it keeps me satisfied until lunchtime.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby dstewart » Sat May 07, 2011 2:56 pm

Another way to prepare oatmeal is to NOT cook it.

Just put it in a bowl with some kind of nondairy milk, or water, or fruit juice, and whatever else you like. Oatmeal can be eaten raw.

You could also soak it overnight the same way, and eat it that way.

When I cook it, I usually just put it in a bowl, add water, and microwave it about a minute. (That's old-fashioned rolled oats.)
dstewart

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon May 09, 2011 7:09 am

I soak my steel cut oats overnight to reduce cooking time in the morning, and I eat "Cheezy Steel Cut Oats with Spinach" every morning for brekkie. (I adapted the recipe in a few ways, and have used other vegs once in awhile...it's yummy!)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby pippin » Mon May 09, 2011 7:23 am

I like to soak my steel cut oats in water overnight in the fridge, and then just pop in the microwave for a couple of minutes in the morning. I like them chewy so this is perfect for me. Just add whatever additions in the morning (today it was bananas, kiwi and a splash of almond milk, and a sprinkle of nutmeg).

I'm going to have to try the cheezy spinachy oats! That sounds awesome. :)
Just Keep Swimming!
pippin

Return to The Lounge