Eating as cheaply as possible

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Eating as cheaply as possible

Postby Cherry Tomato » Thu May 05, 2011 11:03 am

I go to a food salvage store for many of my canned and other packaged goods. I have found name-brand tofu there, as well as many organic items. I can get two 16-oz. cans of organic tomatoes for $1 when they have them. I still have to visit other stores, because you can't predict what they will have at any given time. It saves me lots of money, and most of their items are not out of date ... you just have to look and be watchful.
Cherry Tomato

Postby tanawana » Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 am

landog wrote:
JeffN wrote:I was recently asked to price a 2000 calorie meal plan that met or exceeded all RDA/DRIs for all known nutrients at Whole Foods.

In health
Jeff

Can you share, or did I miss that?

Thanks,
-dog

like to see it myself, can it be down with yams or sweet potatoes as the only starch source??
tanawana

Postby Melinda » Thu May 05, 2011 1:48 pm

I buy about half organic. Our food prices in BC are a lot higher than in Ontario. I can relate to Mountain's prices. :D
Melinda

Postby noelalexis2000 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm

I feel I save money by eating this way. I do shop in bulk at my co-op and buy several of an item if at a good price and it is something I use a lot. For instance I found Pomi chopped tomatoes for 2.69 at whole foods in Asheville and at the whole foods in Greenville they were 3.29. So I grabbed a bunch in Asheville. I visit several stores and save more money that way. I also shop at the Trader Joes in Greenville, much better prices than the Whole foods there.

That's funny about the potato chips one of my friends was complaining about the price of potato chips going up. I just smiled but thought stop eating them!
noelalexis2000

Postby noelalexis2000 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:54 pm

I've also found that iceberg lettuce is $1.29 at Trader Joe's and much cheaper than other lettuces. I buy some of the loose leaf lettuce and mix it in for color or not. :)
noelalexis2000

Postby mountain » Thu May 05, 2011 4:59 pm

Jeff, I guess my problem is living in Canada :-D But I much rather pay more for food and don't have to pay for healthinsurance!
mountain

Postby ncyg46 » Thu May 05, 2011 5:05 pm

i paid less than 50.00 this week for groceries and that included a 30 pack of beer! I have an entire freezer, pantry and storage shed filled up with the stuff I use the most so I only buy fresh veggies when I go shopping. And I am in an rv. Now on the other hand Ed buys his own when he wants meat! I made a pesto soup today with cauliflower and gnocchi and froze three containers of it! Still have leftovers to finish yet! :D
ncyg46

Postby frozenveg » Fri May 06, 2011 7:07 am

vgnwitch wrote:
frozenveg wrote:However, our version of CSA boxes come from Washington/Oregon, and are VERY expensive--most of the fruit & veg is well over $5 per pound, nearer $10 for most things. I stopped getting it because it was such an indulgence.

How do you pay for your CSA? Our local CSA is a one-time set price for the entire growing season (generally late spring through fall). You pay up front and then collect your box once a week. They have two box sizes/prices - one for one or two people and one for a family box.

We got the smaller-sized box, and we can pay per month or for 10 boxes in advance for a small discount. With the discount, each box was $39. It might include 4 -6 pieces of fruit, an onion, 3 potatoes, a squash, a head of leafy green something, and a few other veggie bits. And as you described, we have to go somewhere to pick it up, which requires a special trip and finding parking and all that. It was just too much money & trouble, so I stopped it.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby vgnwitch » Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 am

Well, that's a bummer. CSA is a steal for me. I never realized how lucky I am.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Chile » Fri May 06, 2011 11:23 am

I think I was the luckiest here back when I traded three hours of labor per week for my CSA share. No need to stand by the freeway with a "Will Work for Food" cardboard sign; I did! Then I moved too far away to make the drive to the volunteer work worth it. After months of paying for fresh vegs again, I finally found a new volunteer for food gig at a local organic garden with a produce stand open to the public.
Chile

Community gardens

Postby Cherry Tomato » Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am

My husband, sons, and I were wandering the South Street area in Philadelphia on Saturday when we came upon a community garden. We went in and were talking to one of the organizers, who told us that three of the plots were dedicated to feeding the poor and homeless of the city. I wish this program could be more wide-spread. For example, we live in the far-outer burbs, which until recently was farm country, and still has a large number of active farms. Yet we do have a large population of poor, mostly in the small towns, for which there are no community gardens being grown. We can donate our surplus garden produce to certain local charities; however, that produce goes to Philabundance, which is an urban program. Philabundance is a worthy program and one which I support, don't get me wrong, but somehow we all forget about the rural poor.
Cherry Tomato

Postby fussit » Mon May 09, 2011 8:22 pm

I have just discoverd bountiful basket that you go online order then the following saturday you pick up..They have local areas to pick it up.The cost is 15.00 for one full basket it is always fresh an local also they have organic..I just recieved my 2 nd basket it had oranges,apples,bananas,kiwi an a honey dew..The veggies brocolli,zuchinni,kale,roman,onions,potatoes,carrots..So much I feel a laundry basket when i pick it up..This last week i bought 2..never have to grab produce from the store.. just look up Bountiful baskets.org i belive..oh an cucumbers also..they have herb packs also..extra charge..
fussit

Postby ncyg46 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:10 am

I tried Bountiful Baskets here in Az for awhile but it was too much food for me in an rv. Now I just get the leftovers from two other people that also have the same problem! Comes in handy! Just hate Saturday mornings since I never know if I am getting it and have to fix it up or not... :D
ncyg46

Previous

Return to The Lounge