Eating as cheaply as possible

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Eating as cheaply as possible

Postby Jack19 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:48 pm

Sainsbury's is one of the two most used supermarket chains and iI just read this story re how it is claiming it feed each person for 60 pence (about 90 US cents) per person, per meal. Didn't Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick say they could do the same thing for less? There are newsletters/links/articles somewhere. Anyone have the links? Here is the Sainsbury's story link. I would welcome any views at all.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... paign.html
Jack19

Re: Eating as cheaply as possible

Postby frozenveg » Wed May 04, 2011 2:28 pm

Here's a link to Jeff's SNAP plan, which has him doing a full day's meals for $4 per person...

viewtopic.php?t=10519

There may be other threads, too.

The one thing that stood out for me in the article was that everyone was criticizing the bread aspect--so the carbs are the bad guys in this scenario!?

I think it's a really nice idea the store has in promoting this. The menus look a lot like the super-budget menu plan that I got from the Extension Agency, back in the 70s when our weekly grocery budget was about $15 for our little family of four!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby JeffN » Wed May 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Remember, besides being inexpensive they have to be nutritionally adequate and healthy.

I have yet to see any menu to do this for less money than Dr McD's and my Fast Food/SNAP meals

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

See my March 2008 newsletter on cheap eating

Postby John McDougall » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby mountain » Wed May 04, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't know, but an organic read leaf lettuce is right now $ 2.49 Can. at the food store. Organic Yukon gold are 5.99 for 3 lbs. Organic Oat groats are 89 cts. per 100 gram.
2 lbs of carrots are $ 5.99.

If we want to eat veggies (and I am only buying the most contaminated ones organic) and some fruit, we pay a lot for it.
Our monthly food costs are usually between $ 500 to $ 600 per month, that is app. between $ 16 and $ 20 per day. I know this sounds like a lot, but we don't buy any processed foods, but we love our fresh veggies. If we would only live of beans and rice, I could do it probably for $ 5 per day, but not any cheaper I believe.
mountain

Postby Broomy » Thu May 05, 2011 1:24 am

Eating inexpensively takes a little bit of detective work and some time to find good suppliers. When you find the right suppliers you can eat for 1/3 to 1/2 what your neighbor does for the exact same items.

Most large chain supermarkets do NOT offer great prices on produce.

Use these tips to lower your grocery bills:

Find the stores located in moderate income neighborhoods or the stores that cater to ethnic minorities for the best prices on produce.

Be flexible in what you eat. I eat what's in season and what is reasonably priced.

Soups are a great way to take advantage of produce that has been priced very low because the store needs to move it now.

Warehouse stores are great places stock up on beans, rice, and oatmeal. I don't think they are great for produce.

Stores with bins are often great places to try new legumes and grains inexpensively.

Trader Joes is great for frozen corn and frozen petite peas.

What tips do you have for feeding your family the McDougall way inexpensively?
Broomy

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2011 3:23 am

I was recently asked to price a 2000 calorie meal plan that met or exceeded all RDA/DRIs for all known nutrients at Whole Foods.

It was $5.45/day for conventional food & $7.19/day for organic food based on average national pricing at WFM.

Using local grocers, and buying in bulk, it was under $3/day.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby lydia » Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 am

Wow, Jeff, those numbers are impressive!!! I translated them to a per week figure which is more how I think. So, for conventional food bought from local stores the cost is $21/week, conventional from whole foods, is around 39$ and organic from Whole Foods is $49 per week. I find those numbers nothing but eye popping.

To feed a family of four well, it would be $84/week....isn't that less than food stamps for most people?? And to think of the cost savings on the medical bills.........
lydia

Postby JeffN » Thu May 05, 2011 8:32 am

lydia wrote:Wow, Jeff, those numbers are impressive!!! I translated them to a per week figure which is more how I think. So, for conventional food bought from local stores the cost is $21/week, conventional from whole foods, is around 39$ and organic from Whole Foods is $49 per week. I find those numbers nothing but eye popping.

To feed a family of four well, it would be $84/week....isn't that less than food stamps for most people?? And to think of the cost savings on the medical bills.........

Yes, and that was the goal. To get it so it is affordable for anyone.

This is important because we hear about all these diets (even healthy vegan ones) but no one ever done the costing of them based on their nutritional adequacy. Remember, a solution is only a real solution if it is available and works for everyone, everywhere.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby vgnwitch » Thu May 05, 2011 8:42 am

mountain wrote:I don't know, but an organic read leaf lettuce is right now $ 2.49 Can. at the food store. Organic Yukon gold are 5.99 for 3 lbs. Organic Oat groats are 89 cts. per 100 gram.

Good grief. Where are you shopping? I am in Canada and those things are nowhere near that expensive in my area. Maybe you should check out a CSA for produce delivery for the summer/fall. They are great for saving money.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby frozenveg » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 am

vgnwitch wrote:
mountain wrote:I don't know, but an organic read leaf lettuce is right now $ 2.49 Can. at the food store. Organic Yukon gold are 5.99 for 3 lbs. Organic Oat groats are 89 cts. per 100 gram.

Good grief. Where are you shopping? I am in Canada and those things are nowhere near that expensive in my area. Maybe you should check out a CSA for produce delivery for the summer/fall. They are great for saving money.

We have similar prices (to vgnwitch) at retail stores here in Southcentral Alaska. But I get my produce at Costco--gold potatoes are 69 cents a pound, etc.

However, our version of CSA boxes come from Washington/Oregon, and are VERY expensive--most of the fruit & veg is well over $5 per pound, nearer $10 for most things. I stopped getting it because it was such an indulgence.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby merriweather » Thu May 05, 2011 9:50 am

Again I am most grateful to live where I do LA.
I have a choice of Ethnic markets, even Warehouse types.
THese stores have a fast turnover of produce, because the populace still eats fresh , and mostly shop daily.
So the produce there is low cost, and high quality.
We live in a mobile home, but are growing squash , eggplant , and tomatoes in pots, and there are already baby veggies on them. Again, I realize I am lucky to have the weather we enjoy here.
I think anyone who eats SAD would be paying most.
I do store demos and see cart loads of Chips and soda and packaged microwave dinners. None of which contain high nutrition, but they do come with high prices.
I mean a bag of potato chips may be 6 oz. but cost 3.99. Now that is a high price per pound. Compare it to a 5 lb bag of even organic potatoes and pound for pound the raw beats the processed , no question.
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby patty » Thu May 05, 2011 10:05 am

Dr. McDougall and Jeff.... have you thought of creating a app for
meals 3 dollars or less for iphones/ipods?

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby landog » Thu May 05, 2011 10:24 am

JeffN wrote:I was recently asked to price a 2000 calorie meal plan that met or exceeded all RDA/DRIs for all known nutrients at Whole Foods.

It was $5.45/day for conventional food & $7.19/day for organic food based on average national pricing at WFM.

Using local grocers, and buying in bulk, it was under $3/day.

In health
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Can you share, or did I miss that?

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Postby vgnwitch » Thu May 05, 2011 10:25 am

frozenveg wrote:However, our version of CSA boxes come from Washington/Oregon, and are VERY expensive--most of the fruit & veg is well over $5 per pound, nearer $10 for most things. I stopped getting it because it was such an indulgence.

How do you pay for your CSA? Our local CSA is a one-time set price for the entire growing season (generally late spring through fall). You pay up front and then collect your box once a week. They have two box sizes/prices - one for one or two people and one for a family box.
Last edited by vgnwitch on Thu May 05, 2011 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Next

Return to The Lounge