Lying to my Doctor

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lying to my Doctor

Postby Chile » Wed May 04, 2011 8:26 am

I won't lie to you; the past stress-filled year* left me heavier and less fit than I've been in quite some time. Everything seemed so out of control in our lives that I responded by eating in an out of control manner as well. Funny how "comfort eating" does little to provide real comfort as health declines.

*I scored over 300 at the time on this life event stress scale, which put me at risk of stress-related illness.

I signed up for an exercise class for the next four months to start easing myself back into shape. Attendance is required for at least two out of the three weekly classes. A doctor's signature is also required to make sure no significant health issues make taking the class a risk (for the organizers).

Since I had not seen my doctor in two years, he insisted on a check-up before signing off on the exercise. I knew he'd be unhappy with me - heck, I'm unhappy with me! Not surprisingly, he scolded me about my weight gain. And neither of us were happy to see my blood pressure was up. At his insistence, I'm getting bloodwork done as well. I've already warned him he will not like the results because I've been eating poorly and not doing much exercise.

He warned me that my blood pressure, if not brought under control, could need medication. I suspect my blood work results will get the same reaction. I made a deal with him. The exercise class is through the end of August. At a follow-up appointment in early September, I will be open to discussing medication if he does not see significant improvement.

I lied.

I have no intention of taking medication; just not gonna get on that roller coaster, especially with my tendency to react poorly to medications. What this does, however, is put the pressure on me to get my stuff together and do what I know I need to do to lose weight, reduce my bp, and start getting in shape again. I have no choice anymore (which ironically is when I used to tell myself I'd get serious about eating healthy).
Chile

Re: Lying to my Doctor

Postby Clary » Wed May 04, 2011 8:56 am

Pulling for you... :thumbsup:
Chile wrote:I won't lie to you; the past stress-filled year* left me heavier and less fit than I've been in quite some time. Everything seemed so out of control in our lives that I responded by eating in an out of control manner as well. Funny how "comfort eating" does little to provide real comfort as health declines.

*I scored over 300 at the time on this life event stress scale, which put me at risk of stress-related illness.

I signed up for an exercise class for the next four months to start easing myself back into shape. Attendance is required for at least two out of the three weekly classes. A doctor's signature is also required to make sure no significant health issues make taking the class a risk (for the organizers).

Since I had not seen my doctor in two years, he insisted on a check-up before signing off on the exercise. I knew he'd be unhappy with me - heck, I'm unhappy with me! Not surprisingly, he scolded me about my weight gain. And neither of us were happy to see my blood pressure was up. At his insistence, I'm getting bloodwork done as well. I've already warned him he will not like the results because I've been eating poorly and not doing much exercise.

He warned me that my blood pressure, if not brought under control, could need medication. I suspect my blood work results will get the same reaction. I made a deal with him. The exercise class is through the end of August. At a follow-up appointment in early September, I will be open to discussing medication if he does not see significant improvement.

I lied.

I have no intention of taking medication; just not gonna get on that roller coaster, especially with my tendency to react poorly to medications. What this does, however, is put the pressure on me to get my stuff together and do what I know I need to do to lose weight, reduce my bp, and start getting in shape again. I have no choice anymore (which ironically is when I used to tell myself I'd get serious about eating healthy).
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby catherine1305 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 am

I'm with you Chili. I have told my doctor I can do this it just might take a few weeks to get going.

I flat out told my doctor I won't take statins or meds for diabetes I have had another doctor tell me she has me listed wrong on my profile I'm not diabetic so needless to say I have changed doctors. I see my new one tomorrow.

Good luck you can do it!!!

:-D
Cathy
Start March 2007

catherine1305

Postby Lani Muelrath » Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

Chile wrote:I won't lie to you; the past stress-filled year* left me heavier and less fit than I've been in quite some time. Everything seemed so out of control in our lives that I responded by eating in an out of control manner as well. Funny how "comfort eating" does little to provide real comfort as health declines.

I lied.

Chile, all honors to you for taking charge.

You say:

Funny how "comfort eating" does little to provide real comfort as health declines.

Ain't that the truth? Honestly, the only thing we CAN have some degree - a great degree for the most part, actually, barring unforeseen circumstance - is our eating, activity, weight, health, and energy. By simple decisions about what we put in our mouths and moving our bodies. There is nothing like being fit, trim, and energetic to make all of life's hurdles easier and to make life just better. Period.

Winners are those who keep jumping back in to make it happen. So pleased to see you doing just that.

Onward! Upward!

Thinking of you,
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby Gweithgar » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 am

You can totally do this and prove to your doctor that you can, too. You've got the tools so it is just a matter of using them. Something that really helped me turn things around was Jeff Novick's material about calorie density. These days, I rarely make anything to eat without asking myself how I can make it less calorie-dense (which is pretty easy...just add more veggies!).
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby blondie » Wed May 04, 2011 10:59 am

Good job taking responsibility for your own health! I am having blood drawn on Thursday to see the results of 3 months of McDougalling -- then a follow up appointment with the nurse practitioner next week. I am dreading telling her that I have gone off 2 blood pressure meds since starting this WOE -- though my blood pressure has been great and I have nothing to be afraid of, IDK why I feel intimidated by "going against doctor's orders"! I think maybe I (and our society) attribute too much power to the title MD and forget that we hire them, not the other way around.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby merriweather » Wed May 04, 2011 11:19 am

I picked up the thought that someone is being told to go onto diabetic meds when the entire diagnosis is questionable. I am thinking possible the so called pre diabetes??
BUt why not suggest diet changes first. Oh, wait, they would put you on the old portion control, LOW carb plan. I gained wait and insulin resistance on that one for 20 years.
Good luck, stay here and you will confound the medicos :lol:
Love is never wasted
merriweather

Postby kittyadventures » Wed May 04, 2011 12:03 pm

Been there done that... quit statins because they were litterally making me fall apart... and did the whole stressed to tell the doctor .

I learned to be honest with the Doctor.

I told him I had gone vegetarian and gone off the statins.

My numbers did the rest of the talking.

I think we as followers of this way of eating should be lots more open with our Doctors.. I think that when they see our results it will help them to be able when other clients come in to give them this option if they want to persue treatment on a more natural course.

Remember even Doctor McDougal came to these tenents by observations of what his patients were eating and how it was affecting them health wise.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Postby nicoles » Wed May 04, 2011 1:21 pm

Good for you, Chile, for taking charge of your health!

Doctors can be intimidating, I don't blame you for fibbing.

I think that your test results will be more than convincing if you stick with this WOE. I have seen the shock and awe on my Dr.'s face when he saw my test results - not only were they way better than the last batch, they were way better than his average patient's, and I had only been eating this way for 1 month!

:-D Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Chile » Wed May 04, 2011 1:47 pm

My doctor knows that I don't like medications. He knows I'll ignore his prescriptions to get mammagrams. He knows how I feel about diet and health. BUT, he also sees that I have not stuck to eating the way that will maintain my health so he is, understandably, concerned at this time. I decided to do this little fib this time more for my sake than for his. It puts pressure on me to WALK THE TALK! And to do it NOW, not when I feel like maybe I can possibly start eating right occasionally again. No, I have to do it now and I have to do it all.

Intimidated by doctors? I'm not anymore. In fact, I was a bit appalled at myself yesterday when I accidentally slipped up and called him by his first name rather than Dr. Last Name. Oops!
Chile

Postby 3 Sisters » Thu May 05, 2011 10:45 am

I almost never go to the doctor just for that reason. I don't want to have to resist pressure for mammograms and other tests. I don't want to have to explain why it's okay I am not drinking 4 glasses of milk a day. You are stronger than me.

But I don't see where you lied. You said you would "be open for discussion", you didn't say you would surrender your will to him. I think that if you are unable to eat better and add enough exercise to reduce your numbers by then he has every right to be concerned and want to discuss meds.

But that conversation could also include ways he may be able to help you other than meds. Maybe stress management classes or support groups or some other conventional method may help you deal with the stress that comes with changing a lifestyle and it may be covered by insurance.

But I just know you will be able to make enough of a change to make those numbers go in the right direction. We have all been motivated by something to find our way here to McD and if avoiding an uncomfortable conversation with your doctor does it - then great!! You will be all the better for it.

I look forward to your post about the shock and disbelief on your doctors face in September.
3 Sisters

Postby blondie » Thu May 05, 2011 11:00 am

I went ahead and saw the nurse practitioner today even though my labwork will not be back until tomorrow -- I hurt my back moving some heavy furniture and needed something for muscle spasms.

She commented on my 25 lb. weight loss, and I told her about my change in diet, beginning in February. I told her I am also off both blood pressure meds. (BP 130/80 this morning with no sleep last night and while having back pain.) I told her my cholesterol was down by 35 pts. when I gave blood last month. I told her my fasting blood sugars are now below 100 and post prandial sugar around 150. I told her about The China Study and about Dr. McDougall successfully treating many conditions by changing to a low fat, plant based diet.

Her reply -- "that's great if you can do that, but many people cannot do without meat." She then told me that insulin dependent diabetics need to have a low carb / high protein diet, "not as bad as Atkins, but fairly close to it." Then she told me that she was a big meat eater and could never give up meat.

What a disappointment.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby kittyadventures » Fri May 06, 2011 12:29 pm

Well I am living proof that the low carb/high protein diet does not help Diabetics.. all it did for me was lower my sugar numbers it drove all my other numbers up... THis way of eating is the only way I was able to lower all my numbers, all of them, not just my blood sugar.
Who knew an Apple a day, really would keep the Doctor away!
"Be the change you want to see in the world"--Gandhi.

http://www.kittyadventures.wordpress.com

Days in a row of exercise: 9
kittyadventures

Return to The Lounge