potato question

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: potato question

Postby CJJ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:01 pm

Another tater question;

I have been baking some fries lately (about three times now). I cut them pretty thin, leave the skins on and sprinkle with a non-salt seasoning. Oven at 425-450. The original recipe said 8-10 minutes. Hardly. First timer goes for 20, then I stir them up, bump the timer to another 6 minutes or so. Last night they were in for close to 40 minutes and THEN I put them on broil to get them brown! We love eating these but WTH am I doing wrong or what could I do differently?? If I could get these to cook in a decent time (like the recipe said) then I would make these more often (since I tend to leave cooking until the last minute.

I did calibrate my oven with a thermometer. It is pretty darn close to the setting.
CJJ

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:12 pm

CJJ wrote:That is a lot of potatoes! Can you tell me what you put ON them to get through that many potatoes?

I don't really put anything ON them. I put them IN things. I have potatoes in almost every SNAP recipe I make. I put them in soups and stews. I take nuked Yukon Golds w/ me cold when I am on the road, so I have access to easy-to-eat-in-the-car snacks. Sometimes I nuke a few and put them in a bowl and add a little Benson's Table Tasty no-salt salt substitute. <shrug> These 3 bags aren't 20 pound bags, LOL--they are smallish. But it's a goodly amount of taters. :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:14 pm

CJJ wrote:I have been baking some fries lately (about three times now). I cut them pretty thin, leave the skins on and sprinkle with a non-salt seasoning. Oven at 425-450. The original recipe said 8-10 minutes. Hardly. First timer goes for 20, then I stir them up, bump the timer to another 6 minutes or so. Last night they were in for close to 40 minutes and THEN I put them on broil to get them brown! We love eating these but WTH am I doing wrong or what could I do differently?? If I could get these to cook in a decent time (like the recipe said) then I would make these more often (since I tend to leave cooking until the last minute.

Yeah, takes too long for me, too.

I nuke them in the m-wave until just BARELY done (i.e., not squishy, still firmish). I cut them up and put them in my non-stick skillet. Cook 10 min. one side--when brown, I flip them and cook 10 min. that side. Nice and brown, and FAST. To make it even easier, pre-nuke a bunch and store in fridge. Then you just have to cut and put in the skillet!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby CJJ » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:23 pm

ETeSelle wrote:
CJJ wrote:I have been baking some fries lately (about three times now). I cut them pretty thin, leave the skins on and sprinkle with a non-salt seasoning. Oven at 425-450. The original recipe said 8-10 minutes. Hardly. First timer goes for 20, then I stir them up, bump the timer to another 6 minutes or so. Last night they were in for close to 40 minutes and THEN I put them on broil to get them brown! We love eating these but WTH am I doing wrong or what could I do differently?? If I could get these to cook in a decent time (like the recipe said) then I would make these more often (since I tend to leave cooking until the last minute.

Yeah, takes too long for me, too.

I nuke them in the m-wave until just BARELY done (i.e., not squishy, still firmish). I cut them up and put them in my non-stick skillet. Cook 10 min. one side--when brown, I flip them and cook 10 min. that side. Nice and brown, and FAST. To make it even easier, pre-nuke a bunch and store in fridge. Then you just have to cut and put in the skillet!

I'll give that a try! Thanks.
CJJ

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:25 pm

If you prefer to do it in the oven you probably could do it there instead of skillet (under broiler to brown, as you say).
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby nomikins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:56 pm

CJJ wrote:That is a lot of potatoes! Can you tell me what you put ON them to get through that many potatoes?

I love to eat cold plain potatoes out of hand as a snack. In fact, I just ate one. YUM!

I make my oven fries by cutting up cold, precooked potatoes (baked or boiled) into wedges or french fry shape. Put them in a layer on the baking pan and put under the broiler to brown them (keep an eye on 'em, so they don't burn).

Potatoes are a great base to pile food on top of. Beans, veggies, salad, whatever!
nomikins

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:14 pm

nomikins wrote:Potatoes are a great base to pile food on top of. Beans, veggies, salad, whatever!

Yup! Taters on the bottom, greens in the middle, leftover SNAP meal (beans, tomatoes, tons of veggies, spices) on top. Nuke and serve. Doesn't get much better than that! :mrgreen:
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby nomikins » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I have a cabbage/potato/tomato casserole thingy going in the oven as I type. Sliced up half a large cabbage and boiled in water for ten minutes. Drain. Sauteed a sliced onion in a dry nonstick pan. Deglazed a few times with white wine. Sliced up a couple of potatoes.

Layer chopped tomatoes (canned), cabbage, potatoes, tomatoes. Sprinkle with some nutritional yeast and spices of your choice (i used garlic powder and black pepper. Finish with tomatoes on top. Cover and bake at 350. I'm thinking about 40 minutes to cook the potatoes. The baking dish is 9x13.

Very easy!
nomikins

Postby Maryt54 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 pm

My friends dont't understand how I can eat potatoes every day, twice a day and not get bored. To the contrary, when I have another starch, I MISS my potatoes. They are the only starch that truly satisfies me and keeps me at my goal weight.
Maryt54

Postby Rosey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:11 am

ETeSelle wrote:
nomikins wrote:Potatoes are a great base to pile food on top of. Beans, veggies, salad, whatever!

Yup! Taters on the bottom, greens in the middle, leftover SNAP meal (beans, tomatoes, tons of veggies, spices) on top. Nuke and serve. Doesn't get much better than that! :mrgreen:

Keep seeing everyone talking about SNAP meals what are these?
Rosey

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 am

Rosey wrote:Keep seeing everyone talking about SNAP meals what are these?

Jeff Novick's quick, easy, and tasty 'recipes.' In quotes b/c they are more suggestions than hard and fast rules.

Explained here: viewtopic.php?t=10519

And in greater detail on his Fast Food DVD: http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_fast_food.html

:-D
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Rosey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 am

ETeSelle wrote:
Rosey wrote:Keep seeing everyone talking about SNAP meals what are these?

Jeff Novick's quick, easy, and tasty 'recipes.' In quotes b/c they are more suggestions than hard and fast rules.

Explained here: viewtopic.php?t=10519

And in greater detail on his Fast Food DVD: http://www.drmcdougall.com/store_fast_food.html

:-D

Thanks EteSelle for your quick response.
Rosey

Postby noelalexis2000 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:30 am

I eat a lot of sweet potatoes guess I need to do the same with other potatoes. :-D
noelalexis2000

Postby Atom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Stuff your face with potatoes all the day long and you will still lose weight, if you have weight to lose! :)
Atom

Re: Potatoes with skin or peeled?

Postby Steelhead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:14 pm

ETeSelle wrote:
prettygirls wrote:Does it taste good with skin? I haven't tried to eat potato with skin..

The skin is the best part!!

I agree; I prefer the skins. I like to bake a potato on high heat so the skins are crunchy.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Previous

Return to The Lounge