Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:19 am

Last edited by Marta on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marta

Re: Has this ever happened to you or someone you know?

Postby Steve » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:42 am

Yes Marta,

Sorry about what happened. There are two levels about going off plan. One is that the off plan food really is not healthy, that is why you got such good results from the plan. The other issue is what I would like to share. I do not want to make light of what happened to you, but it has happened to me. What follows is a true story.

This happened to me but good one time. I think the term McDougall's revenge has been used from time to time. I had been very good for a prolonged length of time. I had lost weight and some of my coworkers were asking if I was ill. A friend at work told me I looked weak and that I should eat some meat or something. Well, I should have known better but the next day I had to drive a couple of hours with the wife and daughter to pick up my son at a rustic boyscout camp in the Mountains in a National Forrest. For whatever reason, my coworkers mischief worked its way on me and right before we left I ate a yogurt. Anyhow by the time I got to the camp I was in real pain. I could not even get out of the vehicle. I told the others I had to stay in the car and I reclined the drivers seat and lay "paralyzed" by a gas pain for about 45 minutes of agony. After that I was able to somehow get out of the car and made my way to a nearby Porta-Potty. The episode was concluded, except for me thanking the co-worker for her "advice" when I went to work on Monday. She was very sheepish about it. I learned a great lesson that weekend. First not to listen to critics. Second if I was going to listen, in no way fall off the wagon right before a two hour ride to mountains.
By the way, how to deal with co-workers and friends and family that might tell you, "A little bit can't hurt" is explained completely in the Doug Lisle DVD called the Pleasure Trap, available on this website. I recommend it to anyone, especially if you would like to avoid, "McDougall's Revenge". http://drmcdougall.com/store_pleasuretrap.html
Steve

Postby Pacificfords » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:53 am

Marta wrote:Has anyone ever done well on the diet for like months, then gone back and eaten the fatty things you used to eat...

I'll tell you this! - it is certainly a deterrent for ever wanting (however briefly) to go back to my old SAD ways.

I haven't even been doing McDougall for that long (since September) and I have experienced this. It is amazing how different the body functions when fed properly. :) Sorry you went through that.

For me it isn't that much of a deterrent yet... meaning... I don't get that sick because it hasn't been that long and I haven't been perfect about giving up the fats for a long period of time. I am looking forward to it becoming more of deterrent for me which will help me stay on track. (if that makes sense) Hope you are feeling better.
Debi

Blogging my journey at:
http://healthyandknowit2012.blogspot.com/
Pacificfords

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:55 am

Last edited by Marta on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marta

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:10 am

Last edited by Marta on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marta

Postby Gweithgar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 am

I haven't had "McDougall's Revenge", but what I have noticed is that a day of eating badly will send my anxiety level skyrocketing and bring on a killer bout of insomnia. Same thing if I eat too much later in the day. Most unpleasant.
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:22 am

Last edited by Marta on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marta

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:16 am

McDougall's Revenge! I have had it more times than I care to say...just learned where all the bathrooms are!!! This last time out camping I was stuck in a handicap portapotti while they caught a rattlesnake behind it! :-(
ncyg46

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 am

Marta

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:55 am

Marta wrote:Wow, Nancy!! :eek: Thank goodness you made it through that one! You must have been terrified! I know I'd have probably had a *double* "revenge" going on if I'd known there was a rattlesnake outside! :lol: And yes, when it hits, it hits! Seriously, so glad you made it out of there safe and sound and thanks so much for helping me see it happens to others, too. Thank you for your reply!!

oh yes...when it hits, it hits and I was on a group walk in the middle of a ghost mine. Had to decide what to do so I left them and walked back down to the pot. Stayed in there awhile till I was sure they caught it! Then I had to decide whether to join the group or go back to the camper, but I didn't have the key so I joined them!!! And had another episode on the way back. All over a stupid piece of reduced fat swiss cheese. Ugh! Haven't had it since!!!!! :eek:
ncyg46

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:04 am

Last edited by Marta on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marta

Postby ncyg46 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:46 am

Marta...
they caught it and it was in the tank at the main store, Vulture's Roost when we got back there. It was upset and still "rattling" and was scared me more was that Ed standing right next to me couldn't hear it! I took photos of it, look at the Vulture Mine photo set on Flickr in my signature!
ncyg46

Postby Judith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:53 am

Every time I slip and eat something that I shouldn't I do get reactions. If I eat any dairy I get joint pain for 2 or 3 days and if it is other things like higher fat I get gas. Haven't eaten any meat/fish/fowl for almost a year now. :-D
If you always do what you always did you always get what you always got. Pat Parelli
Judith

Postby Marta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Marta

Postby Nettie » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:17 pm

Marta wrote:.... Now that you mention it, I do remember the phrase "McDougall's Revenge" either in one of the 2 books I have or from here on the forum.

Had it. Don't want to get it again. :\

Emergency room visits are so expensive these days....

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Return to The Lounge