Costs of SAD vs Healthful Diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Costs of SAD vs Healthful Diet

Postby scottdw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:00 am

I am doing research into the costs of the SAD vs. a vegan/low-fat vegetarian diet.

The costs I am looking to compare are:

1. Direct consumer costs (groceries)
2. Indirect consumer costs (sick days, doc visits, prescriptions, etc)
3. Societal costs (health care costs, obesity, chronic diseases, access to fresh vegetables)
4. Environmental costs
5. Agricultural impacts (water consumed to raise beef vs growing vegetables, GMOs, growth hormones)
6. Spiritual impact (is there a spiritual impact to eating animals that were killed?)

I've often wondered (haven't actually sat down to do the math) if the SAD is cheaper (direct consumer cost) than a vegetarian diet.

Any help in finding some resources is greatly appreciated.

Scott
Cheers,

Scott Watson
scottdw

Re: Costs of SAD vs Healthful Diet

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:19 am

I don't know if I can help with resources or not, but I can tell you from personal experience that eating a whole food, from scratch diet is cheaper than SAD, just in the family budget, EVEN eating as an omnivore.

If you want the most expensive foods, eat SAD. They are available at the drive thru, at sit-down restaurants, and burger joints. You can find SAD foods in the grocery store, in the freezer aisle, where Budget Entrees, packed with sodium, HFCS, and MSG and very little nutrition, are found. Ice cream, pizza, toaster pastries and even full breakfasts, ready for the microwave, are also in the freezer aisle. At the VERY CHEAPEST, these convenience foods cost more per serving BY FAR, than simple stuff like oatmeal or fruit, or even whole wheat toast and an egg, cooked from scratch.

Before beginning McDougall, I was an at-home, from-scratch cook for every meal. My food budget for three (me and two teenagers) was probably $400 or so per month. No, I'm not kidding. I am a frugal food shopper and always have been. When I had four kids at home and a husband, the food budget never got over $600 a month.

Now that I'm not purchasing meat, eggs, or milk products, my food expenditures can get to $400 a month, if I buy some cases of canned goods, but to tell the truth, my food costs me much less than that, most months. I spend less than $100 a month at the discount store where i get the bulk of my greens. Probably $150 between Walmart and the local grocery store, and the odd cash here and there when I see something on sale, brings my total to maybe $300 a month. My kids eat with their dad about half the time, and have school lunches which are SAD all the way and cost $20 a month.

Realistically, with buying no junk vegan food, and cooking simple meals from scratch, of veggies, starch roots, and grains, $300 a month is pretty typical. :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby scottdw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:43 am

Thanks for the reply.

I like your profile name! :D
Cheers,

Scott Watson
scottdw

Postby alias » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:56 am

Dr. M. discussed this topic in his March 2008 newsletter. This may help you with your research.
Here is a link.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/mar/foodcost.htm
alias

Postby scottdw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:59 am

Wow! Thanks! That has a lot of the answers I am looking for.
Cheers,

Scott Watson
scottdw

Postby NanTzu » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:58 am

Environmental costs:
Huge amount of runoff and groundwater pollution from massive factory farms with, obviously, no sewage treatment plants. And methane (cow toots) is much more damaging to the atmosphere than CO2. People joke about that, but I just looked it up and I found a number of 33 million of cattle in the US per year.

Here's a fascinating page of information from Cornell University:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/au ... k.hrs.html
NanTzu
What do you want to do today? Go Outside!
NanTzu

Postby scottdw » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 am

I think I read this in the book by John Robbins "Diet for a new America," where it takes nearly 2200 gallons of water to raise one pound of beef.

Considering how may head of cattle are raised every year, that's a lot of water.
Cheers,

Scott Watson
scottdw

Postby somnolent » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:34 am

Your project sounds very interesting, and I'm sure the hidden costs are quite significant. In your societal costs, don't forget all of our taxes that are going toward subsidizing and protecting the food industry and promoting the SAD.

One can use different figures for SAD food and get different results, but there is definitely cheap SAD food available, such as $1 for a double cheeseburger at McDonald's. Similarly, people will sometimes decide to become vegan, not know what to cook, and end up buying expensive processed vegan food rather than buying in bulk and cooking from scratch.
somnolent

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:21 am

Here's a link to an article that touches on some of these issues:

http://www.wisebread.com/the-cost-of-me ... igh-to-pay

There are also many very costly direct/indirect subsidies to promote/support animal based agriculture for crops, water, meat, dairy, foreign aid, school lunches, research and public health to name just a few. Here's an interesting article about subsidies in the Farm Bill:

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/319 ... it_anyway/
Rob

Return to The Lounge