attacking Food Network!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: attacking Food Network!

Postby ncyg46 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:54 pm

spicerack64 wrote:I was thinking maybe we could get a group of us to send emails to the Food Network requesting a show, or maybe a SPECIAL about healthier eating....esp after the success of the Jamie Oliver show on ABC. Ask them to feature healthier ways of eating as well as featuring Dr McD, Dean Ornish, Rip Esselstyn, etc....I dont know, just a thought. I couldnt find a place on their site to send them an email.... :-(

i would do it also...but also can't find a place to really email them. To me it is mindless tv....watch, learn techiques! I do watch it but it's in the background! :D I am just amazed at what they promote....
ncyg46

Postby vman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:11 pm

At least the Food Network is honest that they could care less about health. I was watching FitTV in NYC recently and saw a show called Blaine's Lo-Carb show or something like that. Blaine, who is seriously overweight, was making some deep fried mexican thing smothered in dollops of cheese, all the while maintaining that he knew he didn't have to worry about all the fat because he was "living his lo-carb lifestyle." FitTV might as well be called FatTV for the kind of shows they put on.
vman

Postby rijman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Vibrant wrote:Rijman, have you watched the video of Colleen Patrick Goodreau bbq show on Boby Flay's show. You can find it on youtube.

Thank you, now that's what I'm talking about!

I had not seen that before, but it's got me excited to break out the grills again.

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku1d7IONHDA

I have never grilled tofu or tempeh although I saw Steven Raichlen grill teryaki tofu burgers on his tv show topped with grilled pineapple which looked very good.

I look forward to grilling this summer and trying some new things. Some good grilled veggies such as corn and portobelo burgers with baked beans and macaroni salad really makes for a very satisfying BBQ. I will have to try the skewers and tempeh on the grill, but not too much tempeh.
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Postby djunamod » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:46 pm

I'll admit - I'm a Food Network junkie! I do agree that they are not health food friendly and certainly not veggie friendly - about 80% of their recipes seem to include some kind of meat and when chefs are forced to make vegetarian dishes (for some challenge or other), they poke fun at it. I remember seeing a challenge with top chefs who had to make a birthday dinner for some celebrity who was both vegan and glucose intolerant and soy intolerant. They all nearly fainted! Another time Michael Simon (Iron Chef) was doing a season of "Dinner Impossible" and was challenged to do a vegetarian meal for a bunch of cowboys (or something like that). I usually like Simon's personality and energy but he makes no secret of being a meat lover (especially pork!) and he was making fun of veggie food throughout the whole thing.

I wish the would realize that vegetarian eating doesn't have to be boring or bland and that people are becoming more aware of the health benefits of veggie food. I think they could do a lot if they were more veggie friendly.

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Postby petero » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:27 pm

The Revolution will not be televised!
The Revolution will not use
white bread, white cheddar, or boneless skinless white-meat chicken breast.
The Revolution will not need
whirled peas, coconut trees, or 12-ingredient recipes.
The Revolution will not serve
veal spleen, langostine, or soylent green.
The Revolution will not require
advanced culinary degrees or monthly premium cable fees.
And the Revolution will not be televised!
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby vgnwitch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:26 am

djunamod wrote:I wish the would realize that vegetarian eating doesn't have to be boring or bland and that people are becoming more aware of the health benefits of veggie food.

I always laugh at the idea that veg food is boring. Meat and potatoes every night isn't? :-D

My diet became much more interesting, and I was much more open to trying new things, when I became a vegetarian.
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:34 pm

I didn't realize Michael Symond ever did a Dinner: Impossible. I thought they were all Irvine's.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby nonyabizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:48 pm

Symon did it one "season". There were apparently some exagerrations on Irvine's resume. He was dropped. But apparently Symon was so bad that they asked Irvine back...

Guy Fieri often mentions that his sister is vegetarian. He will make a dish for her every now and then.
Peace:)

Tom
nonyabizz

Postby vgnwitch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:40 pm

I can't stand Michael Symon and I quit watching Dinner: Impossible until Robert Irvine came back. It always ticked me off that during the Iron Chef competition [to see who would be the newest Iron Chef], Symon won despite the fact that John Besh was consistently better than him throughout the whole thing. :x
When you trust your television, what you get is what you got. 'Cause when they own the information, they can bend it all they want. ~ John Mayer
vgnwitch

Postby nonyabizz » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:11 pm

vgnwitch wrote:I can't stand Michael Symon and I quit watching Dinner: Impossible until Robert Irvine came back. It always ticked me off that during the Iron Chef competition [to see who would be the newest Iron Chef], Symon won despite the fact that John Besh was consistently better than him throughout the whole thing. :x

^5!

Amen.
We were very annoyed that Besh lost.
Peace:)

Tom
nonyabizz

Previous

Return to The Lounge