Dr McDougall encouraging eating disorder?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr McDougall encouraging eating disorder?

Postby Anna Green » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:31 am

Did anyone see the garbage on Good Morning America this morning? You'd think I'd be used to it by now, the lies, the misinformation. This really made me angry because they were talking about that new eating disorder - ortha something -can't remember. Anyway they were describing the progression of the disorder and said eliminating food groups such as meat and dairy is part of it. The "expert" then said we need meat and dairy for all the BS reasons they always give. Anyway, according to the list of symptoms, we all are headed in the direction of an eating disorder. Reading labels excessively is one of the symptoms. Nothing said of course about the deceit by the food industry that would lead us to scrutinize labels. And of course they did not end with the truth and that is the viewers are more than likely fat and unhealthy and need to read labels, limit food groups and talk about healthy eating. Could use some social isolation too if it means not getting sucked into eating SAD. What they don't need is to feel justified in eating junk so they don't get the healthy eating disorder!

The good thing is this angered me enough to be motivating. I intend to engage in all the "risky" behaviors today. I will not eat animal, I will read labels, and I will not eat with my fried chicken eating buds today so I am not tempted!

Ok, I'm done. I just wanted to vent to some folks that would get it.
Anna Green

Re: Dr McDougall encouraging eating disorder?

Postby Clary » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:36 am

Anna Green wrote: Ok, I'm done. I just wanted to vent to some folks that would get it.

HEAR!! HEAR!!
Well said.
I get it!! :thumbsup:
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby KMD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:57 am

INSANITY!

Reading labels so you know what you are spending your money on is a "disorder" now?

Reading labels so you know what you are eating is a "disorder"?

I'm screaming, you just can't hear it.
KMD

Postby Wendy Jane » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 am

This makes me so glad my hubby and I DON'T have tv anymore. But should this surprise anyone? Not really. Although when I view this garbage I always get mad.

One thing I always remind myself is "who is sponsoring this stuff?" We all know that many studies on drugs are sponsored or paid for by the drug companies!! And of course on the merits of eating meat and dairy who often sponsors those studies? The meat and dairy industry naturally! So my first question here would be "Who is sponsoring this study?"

I read labels always looking for the ingredients. I look for the nutritional label as well, but not as often. Guess I must have this disorder, whatever it is, huh? I have been known to drive myself crazy reading ingredient labels, but I figure better safe than sorry. And I remind myself that if I see an ingredient label that is more than 1 mile long, I always, always put it back. I figure that in that long list is something I don't want or need in my body.

The unfortunate part of this is the fact that it was aired on national tv, on a morning program that many folks watch. And if you didn't know any better, like most don't, you'd fall for this garbage hook line and sinker.

Morale of the story: LETS BE GLAD WE KNOW THE TRUTH!!
Wendy Jane

Postby Gweithgar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:19 am

Pretty much anything you do or like is a "disease" these days, and eating healthily is no exception. It's amusing when you take it as tongue-in-cheek humor; scary when it begin to be taken seriously. I did have a niece who covered her eating disorder by going "vegetarian" (the catch being that she wasn't eating her vegetables either), but it would be impossible to follow McDougall correctly and have an eating disorder at the same time.

If following the McDougall program is a "disease", all I can say is "Bring it ON!"
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby Carol » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 am

It's good to remember that we represent the minority. And being the minority will always subject us to this type of ridicule and ridiculousness (is that a word?). Sad but true. And as the good doctor has always said "everyone wants to justify their bad habits"

:)
Carol

Postby karin_kiwi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:03 pm

This is the healthiest eating disorder I've ever had. My weight, blood tests and training regime prove it.

If I find my blood pressure dropping to an alarmingly low level, I'll start watching morning TV (or, indeed, any TV program about health/diet or magazine article about the same). Thanks for the health tip - wouldn't want to pass out or develop yet another medical problem!! :lol:

Unfortunately most people just don't THINK! I totally understand a discussion about whether meat is a food group that physiologically should/should not be part of the human diet - after all, all major populations throughout history have eaten some amount of animal flesh and it's a legitimate gray area. But I never understood how people could put dairy in that category as there always have been entire populations who don't and who never have touched the stuff. Anytime someone tells me that something millions of people across the world throughout time don't do is physiologically required by everybody, I'm just about stunned by the stupidity.

Vent away, Anna. We get it. If sane eating almost inevitably leads to obesity, disease and premature death, give me the McDougall eating disorder. I'd feel happier about our ability to eventually say "Ha - I told you so" if it weren't for the fact that we'd be doing it to people we love as they sicken and die. :-(
All time high 275+ lbs/125+ kgs (maxed out scale!). Was a size 26-28. * * * Fastest 10 km (6.25 miles) run time 55.30; half marathon time 2:13.49.

Dealing with the maintaining huge weight loss thing... imperfectly and with some challenges.
karin_kiwi

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Okay, but don't we see some signs of this once in awhile, even on these boards? People asking "should I stop using oil to cure my cast iron pans?" or "how can using ground flax seed be on this plan, since it's high fat?" or (which I read in an article by a vegan) "Should we sit at the same table and eat with meat eaters?" and other nit-picky things that aren't in the spirit of McDougallizing? It may be a new term, but I can see where someone with a tendency to be OCD, could get all freaky about every little detail and completely freaking out if there's a sliver of grated cheese touching one's red leaf salad.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Anna Green » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Buns, I hear you. People can get OCD and this was actually one of the suggested underlying disorders for the unhealthy healthy eaters. The thing that struck me is that they gave air time to this obscure problem and suggested choosing to cut out animal in one's diet is a sign something may be awry. They also felt the need to talk about how we need fat in our diet. As if we Americans have an issue with that. Yah, that's the problem, we don't eat enough fat.
Anna Green

Postby nonyabizz » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:07 pm

Orthorexia:

on Wiki: Although it is not an official medical diagnosis, and it is not listed in the DSM-IV[8] or planned to be included in the DSM-V to be published May 2013[9], it is still used as a diagnosis by some practitioners who have documented the damaging results of the condition as they have seen in their practices.
Peace:)

Tom
nonyabizz

Postby Rob » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Okay, but don't we see some signs of this once in awhile, even on these boards?

Does this mean I don't have to worry about the shadow of a meat eater touching me? :?
Rob

Postby AlphaFemale » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:34 am

I've seen a bit of this overly obsessive behavior. I would characterize it as someone who, for example, freaks out because something has trace amounts of oil in it.

I don't cook with oil. However, if I'm at someone else's home and I'm offered something that has trace amounts of oil in it, I do eat it. I won't eat anything swimming in oil. But, if they used a small amount of oil I don't freak out.

I'm the same way with meat. I don't cook it myself. However, if I'm at someone else's home and I'm offered meat, I eat a bit of it. I'm not going to eat an entire steak, but I'm not going to freak out if I have a few bits of chicken.

I know a woman who took the meat that was offered and then spit it out into a napkin. Come on. That's ridiculous. This was a once a year festival and she didn't need to do that. The woman that offered it to her was very old and wouldn't have understood. Thank God she didn't see her spitting it out.

If you're eating elsewhere a lot though you do have to be more vigilant. I understand that.
AlphaFemale

Postby petero » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:52 am

AlphaFemale wrote:However, if I'm at someone else's home and I'm offered meat, I eat a bit of it.

Well, this would be an issue for an ethical vegan. As would eating meals with meat eaters, because it could be construed as participating to some degree in their practice. But it's a separate issue/debate.

As for orthorexia, I agree that some people may develop OCD about eating if they are prone to OCD. However, OCD would involve some level of distress, anxiety, or dysfunction, as do all psychological problems. Not just the choices themselves.

With all the garbage and mis/dis-information out there, reading labels and being concerned about food content is a rational response to the environment. Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to avoid all animal and refined products, either. Aside from ethics, one might want to avoid them because they are triggers for cravings or overeating, or because one wants to be as healthy as possible.

The appalling part, though, is the defense of meat and (especially dairy). In this day and age, you'd think nobody would believe that drivel anymore.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby petero » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:08 am

Let's coin a new term: "laxophagy", to describe eating anything without concern about its health or other implications. Laxophagy is largely responsible for the epidemics of obesity, heart disease and cancer. A laxophage shouldn't be calling anyone an orthorexic.

;-)
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby pechke » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 am

How does one "read labels excessively," anyway? What does that mean? Like, you sit there and read them over and over? No one does that!
pechke

Next

Return to The Lounge