newly diabetic type 2

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

newly diabetic type 2

Postby woods38 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:06 am

My dad recently found out that he has diabetes. He was told to eat the diabetic diet and count his carbs. My mom is going crazy trying to figure it all out and feed him right.

I tried to help by showing him a book about reversing diabetes and even cooking a low-fat meal for him. We had black beans and peppers in corn tortillas and salad. My dad's blood sugar was 103 before he ate and later when he took it he was alarmed that it was 192! I didn't know what to say to him. Does eating a high carb diet temporarily raise blood sugar? I'm trying to convince him that a low-fat, vegan diet is the way to go but it's difficult.
woods38

Re: newly diabetic type 2

Postby bob2200 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 am

Let me start by saying that I am not an expert.

It would help to know just how overweight your dad is. A BMI score would be best. (You can google the NIH web site to get a reading from height and weight).

I know that blood sugar readings after meals are expected to go up substancially from fasting blood sugar readings. Perhaps 192 after eating is normal.

Is the book you are referring to by Dr. Neal Barnard?
bob2200

Postby Kime » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:57 am

Go to medical info on this site and then to hot topics and read everything you can find about diabetes. This will help arm you with the information you need to try to convince your dad.

You will find that type 2 diabetes is an adaption to being overweight. The body becomes insulin resistant to slow the flow of fat into the fat cells. After losing weight the body no longer needs to be insulin resistant and can return to normal. It is normal for the blood sugar to go up after a meal. I don't think that one low fat meal is going to be enough to change his diabetes. I don't know how long it takes, but there are a number of star McDougallers who reversed type 2 diabetes, so you should read their stories and see if it gives you any information. Maybe your dad would like to read their stories, too.
Kime

Postby Kime » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:33 am

Here is a good story to read. After 6 weeks the doctor said he did not need medication any more. Maybe you can get your dad to try 6 weeks 100% on the diet.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/050308starlogan.html
Kime

Postby Lynn M » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:03 am

Not all type 2 diabetics are overweight - my husband is an example of this. How long after eating did you test his blood? They say to wait at least two hours, but sometimes it takes a bit longer to come down (2.5 hours). You may also need to experiment with the types of starches and the amount, balancing the starches with more non-starch veggies. The more refined the starch, the quicker and higher the blood sugar rises. For example, my husband's blood sugar spikes more with rice, even brown, but not so much with potatoes and corn.

Also, getting at least 15 minutes of cardio type exercise helped my husband quite a bit. (Dr Neal Barnard provided an excellent explaination of how the insulin receptors work better with exercise at the advanced study weekend.) It doesn't have to be exerting, a nice walk is a great starting place.
Lynn M

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Dr. McDougall recommends testing only fasting blood sugar in the morning in the beginning of doing this diet. The longer you stay on it, the less insulin resistant you will become over time. I agree that you should read everythng on this site about diabetes. Trust it. It works!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby talkingmountain » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Maybe you can get your dad to watch one of these short lectures by Dr. Barnard on reversing diabetes

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diabetes/tour_highlights.html
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby Concerned » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:20 am

There are two very interesting lectures on the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii website vsh.org about reversing diabetes through diet. One was called, "Lessons from the Marshall Islands" and I forgot what the other was called.
Concerned

Postby woods38 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:31 am

Thanks for the input everyone. It really helps. I will share the info with my dad and keep following this way of eating for myself to prevent illness. :)
woods38

Return to The Lounge